Actuator, Gbox, limits question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badmotorscooter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Indy
I am about to setup my BUD for the first time and I am concerned on how to adjust the actuator arm. The actuator in question is a Superjack + HQ though I don't know if it is an 18 or 24 inch length but it came with a 7.5ft. unimesh. My question is how do I know where to set the arm all the way out or all the way in or middle when you start to setup the dish limits in the Gbox or any receiver for that matter. I currently have it manually screwed all the way out which should be my east limit.

My description depends on location, my Arm pushes to the East.

Here's what I do.....

Retract the Arm until it hits the Limit.
Connect to the Dish with the Clamp about 2 inches away from the end, the fatter non extending end.
Drive the Dish up to it's highest point and set the Main Axis and Declination angles.
Adjust mount to True South.
Retract Arm until it hits the limit, then drive it out about 1/4", this will allow for later adjustments.
Loosen Clamp and slide up to the the lowest Sat you can see.
Then drive to each Sat and Save location.

If you are using a combo C & Ku Ban Feed, start with C Band, get used to finding and Saving Sat positions, then go for Ku.

I see you are from chicago so that would mean my arm should point to the east as well(standing behind the dish) because I am in central indy. I guess I had it backwards as I thought the arm should point to the west and fully retracted the dish would be pointing towards the west coast as well. I need to go look at my dish setup to sort this out. I have not ever mounted this arm before. I got the whole dish setup for free from about 10 miles from where I live. I had to dismantle it for the move home. Since I had it all apart I decided to have all the parts and the pole sand blasted and powder coated to inhibit rust. I hung the dish on the pole a few months ago and am just now getting the chance to set it up(hopefully this weekend). Your instructions make since and seems pretty straight forward I think.:)

Since you are in Indiana, as the Arm extends, it should Push the Dish to the East.
When standing behind the BUD, the Arm should be on the West side.

Just remember, it's not a Horizon-To-Horizon mount!
As you drive East, the Arm will get closer to the Main Axis, and can actually hit it BEFORE reaching the East limit. Since you are close to me, be careful as you go past 72 West.
My rule of thumb:
See how the Arm points "West" when it's retracted?
You do not want the Arm to extend so far that it's pointed beyond your true south.

You "should" be able to go from 139 west to 72 west with an 18" arm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts