Actuator replacement help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
The 7.5' mesh dish (several on this site helped me determine it is an Odom) I acquired awhile back is soon to placed back in operation at my place in TN. The dish came to me with a Superjack II+ which does not work so I am looking for a suitable new replacement actuator.

I do not know what size the Superjack is but I still have it. If someone could tell me where the lenght is measured that would help. Additionally my planes include purchasing a Gbox to drive this actuator so 36v is desired.

I should mention that I am on the lookout for a 10' dish eventually and want whatever I buy to cover this possibility. Also My LOS in TN is somewhat challenging and not likely to change. The dish will only see through 60 degrees max.

Looking over one of the Gold sponsors sites I see two 36v models to chose from. One a 18" and the other a 24". Which one is comparable to the broken Superjack? Or what would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi, I would think because of your limited LOS the shorter 18 inch travel unit would be more then enough. I recently replaced the actuator on my 10 foot with a medium duty 24 inch travel unit. While it moves the BUD just fine it looks wimpy and I do not think it will survive a strong storm. If I was to do it over I would get a HD 18 inch travel unit.

Hope this helps, DC

Here is a picture showing the difference between a standard and heavy duty actuator.

comparemotors18s.jpg

If you will go the 10', I would get the 24".

Doesn't anyone ever FIX these actuators?? I have had to FIX both of the actuators that came with my two BUDs. One was a VonWeise and the other was smaller without a label and looks line the smaller one that is in that picture.

The larger, 24", was just a matter of cleaning the connections inside and worked fine.

The second, 20" was a bit more because it was full of caked/baked mud for a bad flood we had back in Dec. '08. I totally disassembled the screw drive and wire brushed and greased the screw. Had to replace the ball bearing ($8 at Grainger). Fortunately the gear box and motor didn't get flooded but the motor comutator was corroded and I had to clean that up. The terminal strip was corroded beyond use so I just splice the wires together.

Both are working fine now.

Steve

I was thinking the same thing. Why not fix them. It used to be common for the reed switch to go bad in these actuators. Dont know how much they are now but they used to be about $3.

there are several options here :) and i do agree with Steve, repair is an option at least save it for parts, sensor ect.. although some people don't want to work on them. I have found them easy to take apart and clean.

now on to other options on a 7 1/2 ft dish the 18 inch will do and i will mention here ( and sadoun posted a picture, notice the size it looks almost twice the size) the HD version ran smoother and flawlessly for me. While at times the regular actuator ( and its smaller ) seems to struggle at times (especially on the pull back from my extream east sats) so i will always say get the HD model :) its worth it...

i know some members had some actuators FS in the classified section, they might have dropped to another page but i bet they are still available....

hilsat said:
I was thinking the same thing. Why not fix them. It used to be common for the reed switch to go bad in these actuators. Dont know how much they are now but they used to be about $3.
if you buy the parts probably $2- $3
if you buy the sensor probably $12 + & shipping

most just need a good cleaning , some wear out the worm gear nut (i think most are nylon)
rusty worm screw is most common problem.

Once you take one apart for the normal maintanance you will realize how simple they are to take apart. Admittedly I haven't fully disassembled my large VonWeise. The 20" (no label), the ram came off by removing a single retaining bolt in the housing. Even replacing the bearing was easy and was a standard 8200.

It is my opinion that the ram assembly should be removed, cleaned and greased every couple years. The motor housing assemble is pretty well seal from dirt but the ram will let the dust and dirt in as the seals/boots harden or deteriorate.

Just my thoughts and recent experience.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)