Actuator wiring question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
USA
Wading through all the info, I still haven't run into this exact wiring setup yet. I should have more info about how things are wired after it warms up a bit and quits raining here so that I can get out and tear things apart to do some more investingating.

However, maybe someone can give me some guidance about the actuator thats on my newly acquired 10' unimesh dish. The actuator is pretty dang beefy. It has two sets of wires going to it as follows -
  • black wire (18gauge)
  • red wire (18 gauge)
  • bare wire (probably 22 gauge ground wire)
  • blue (22 gauge)
  • brown (22 gauge)
  • yellow (22gauge)
Then there is a 2nd set of wires going into the actuator that are all bundled together like household wiring (12 gauge?). There are 3 solid copper wires in a flat gray strip (they don't appear to be individual insulated wires within - it appears to be 3 solid wires embedded in the flat gray insulation)

Any idea why there are so many wires (and what the large set of wires might be for?)

ok. the black and red move the motor. which usually move East And West bare wire is a ground for the arm it self which doesnt do nothing or have to be hooked up really, and blue is for the reed sensor and yellow and brown is the ground for the reed sensor usyally if you take off the cover on the back you can see which wire is used for what. the red and black are your thick wires . just look and see which are used for blue and brown and yellow . usually there not all used . well wasnt on mine anyway

Thanks bud. Any idea what the separate 3 solid copper wires would be for? I have never seen anything like that, but they appeared to be part of the professional wiring. I wish it wasn't freezing cold and periodically raining outside so that I could go investigate more :/

Thanks bud. Any idea what the separate 3 solid copper wires would be for? I have never seen anything like that, but they appeared to be part of the professional wiring. I wish it wasn't freezing cold and periodically raining outside so that I could go investigate more :/

oh your welcome, i've never seen soild copper wires? are they coated in the brown yellow and green wiring or maybe blue? are they just bare copper? me either i havent seen any copper hopefully someone else on here can help out that knows alittle more than i do. glad i could help alittle tho good luck yeah take a few pictures next time you get a chance to. give us an better idea :)

yeah, i agree that pictures would help. It also depends whats going where on the reciever, so a picture of the wiring going in the reciever would help us help you. That flat gray insulation probably has those dividers within the insulation keeping them from touching, or maybe even paper. The rest, cheffwan pretty much covers. Do you already have the feedhorn wires connected? If not, maybe thats where some of the wires go to? Doesn't sound like it, though. If they were already going into the cover on the arm, were they connected? They don't sound like they are being used. Maybe someone was trying to send too much juice to the arm to get it to move?

The 3 conductor 12 Ga. sounds like someone ran a 110vac drop out to the dish. That would be handy, but could also be dangerous without a GFI (ground fault interrupter) in the circuit.

Haven't had a chance to get pictures (weather sucks today), but will probably just open the cover and see what's what when the weather co-operates.

Just to clarify, all of the wires I mention go into the same hole in the back/bottom of the actuator housing. I don't have access to the receiver, since it was long gone. I just cut everything near the pole and burried the ends back in the hole for the pole when I filled it back in. I'll let you all know when/if I get a chance to get back to working on this, so that I can get some pics of what I'm discussing.

if you want a basic wiring diagram over in the manual section look for the GI 2400 manual it shows wiring for three or four type motors all the basics should be the same for most receivers....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)