Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Who's selling actuators at a decent price these days? I'm considering buying another Venture but there's a 3 week lead time. Not to mention I'm ticked off that their mail server sent me an e-mail but I can't reply because their RBL setup is treating my e-mail as spam and bounces the e-mail that I send to them. And, yes, I called them only to get their voice mail and still haven't received a phone call.

I got their e-mail this morning with pricing so I assumed that there is someone there.

If I could afford to have a spare laying around for a few years, I'd buy 2 actuators. Of course, the spare would probably be out of warranty by the time the in-service unit fails and the spare might be bad. Having to wait 3 weeks for a new actuator would be a real pain though.

Near as I can tell Von Weise doesn't manufacture actuators for satellite antennas. I suppose I could call them after the holidays and see if they do special jobs.

If I could afford to have a spare laying around for a few years, I'd buy 2 actuators. Of course, the spare would probably be out of warranty by the time the in-service unit fails and the spare might be bad. Having to wait 3 weeks for a new actuator would be a real pain though.

Near as I can tell Von Weise doesn't manufacture actuators for satellite antennas. I suppose I could call them after the holidays and see if they do special jobs.
I talked to Venture in Dayton, OH last July.

In my opinion, avoid the Superjack brand or OEM branded units. The brushes are a weak point in the builds and usually only last a few seasons under normal use. Best to stick with Venture or Von Wiese built actuators. More expensive, but this is a case where you get what you pay for...

I'd love to find somewhere to purchase Von Weise actuators. Everywhere I look, it says no longer available. Who's carrying them?

Contact Von Weise directly. Both Von Weise and Venture sell direct to the public.

Here's what I got back when I emailed Von Weise. Doesn't sound good for future purchases.

Here's what I found.

V76-5 Will have 20 early next week. 24-36 VDC, 600 pounds thrust, 6.8-11.0 inches/minute, 24" stroke (33.75 retracted, 57.75 extended to middle of rod end bearing), Reed Switch Feedback Control. Limit Switches for overall stoke control. Enclosure Totally Enclosed Non-Ventilated. 19:1 Gearbox Ratio. $269.99

V00212AT76 Will have 20 early next week. 36 VDC, Full Load Speed 11 inches/minute, Gear Ration 19:1, Full Load Thrust 600 lbs, 1/15 HP, Current @ Full Load 3 Amps, Reed Switch. (33.75 retracted, 57.75 extended to middle of rod end bearing) $199.99

I will list them for sale as soon as they are here. After this delivery, I am not sure when/if we will have the factory build more.

Scott

They probably won't build actuators unless there's a substantial demand for them. I'd like to find someone that can make mesh panels for my Paraclipse and KTI at a reasonable price also. My Paraclipse has a broken hollow nylon thumbscrew on the feed that I can't find either.

For the past 15+ years, both companies have built a batch of satellite actuators a few times a year. The components are used across multiple product lines and almost identical to gate and solar panel jacks. I would be very surprised if these are Von Weise's last satellite actuator batches. Whatever the future, fortunately, the mechanical components are standard items and available for years to come... :)

Reactions: Melvinfta
As Titanium has said these manufacturers are still in business making quality products. They might not be still making them for the home satellite market cause that business is a less than miniscule portion of what it once was. However they are now in the market of making actuators for RVs, Solar Tracking, Medical Beds, Heavy Industries etc.

I for one are very grateful they still are in business. I had a great customer service experience from Von-Wiese a while back. I e-mailed them about upgrading my Paraclypse H-H motor (which uses a Von_Wiese motor and gearbox) and within 1 day I had an answer that the motor used a unique magnet and gear assembly. Obviously the salesman at V-W took the time to go searching thru his files for a 30 year old discontinued product and knew enough about the new AND very old products to tell me an honest answer instead of just trying to sell a brand new product that I did not need.
Venture MFg. even still has a section for satellite Satellite Actuators | Venture Mfg. Co.
I would order from them direct and save the middle man. Or Ricks is selling Ventures I think.
Kevin

Reactions: norman881
For the past 15+ years, both companies have built a batch of satellite actuators a few times a year. The components are used across multiple product lines and almost identical to gate and solar panel jacks. I would be very surprised if these are Von Weise's last satellite actuator batches. Whatever the future, fortunately, the mechanical components are standard items and available for years to come... :)

If memory serves me, they were making actuators for hospital beds as well. Hopefully, they will continue to make them for the satellite industry, especially since there's a market for actuators for the commercial market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)