Adapting setup to diplex in TV2? Layout diagram included!

TheWGP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Earth
Well, I've been installed for about a month now, and have been using my 722 as single-mode for the PiP and such. We've been thinking about it, and just realized maybe it would be nice to use the TV2 on another TV. The problem is, we have kind of an odd route, with several splitters, TV's and a cable modem in use. It's kind of hard to explain briefly in text, but the attached layout diagram is an accurate depiction, so I'll just let everyone look at that to save time.

As you can see from the layout diagram, I've already marked where the first diplexer goes, with the wall line, the 722 in, and the TV2 RF Out all connected to it. I'm not sure where the SECOND diplexer goes, or WHICH TYPE of diplexer I need for both of these, since I know some pass power and some don't and other considerations - especially since I have a cable modem involved.

Incidentially, my ground block has 2 lines into it, but only 1 out - what's the second one for? Is it just in case I add another receiver later?

I know I need to run new RG-6 between the first cable splitter from the drop and the satellite ground block. My question is just - since these locations are actually physically separate (about 10-15 feet apart, but it's not a problem to run RG-6), how do I do the diplexer? I'm kind of confusing myself about it.

I'm guessing I put the second diplexer near the ground block, with the line from TV, line from dish (that is, hooked up to the ground block), and line to cable splitter all hooked up? The line to the cable splitter would then be put in a normal cable splitter in reverse, with the cable drop fed into the other port and a short piece connecting that splitter with the existing "first cable splitter" input port?

Oh, and both TV1 and TV2 have TiVo S2's fed off this line (backup to sat, we have it because we have internet). Both Tivos output to TV via s-video - I see no reason why this should impact the setup, but want to make sure. The entire setup is grounded to the same grounding rod setup, from both the dish and cable splitter, so I don't anticipate a ground loop problem.

So in short -
- what's the second line off the ground block for?
- where does the second diplexer go?
- what kind of diplexers do I need?
- do I need to check my existing cable splitters for a certain frequency or anything like that?
- do the tivos matter?

Thanks in advance for any advice! i've been messing with cable wires for years, but this is my first time doing anything at all complicated with satellite wiring.

Attachments

• Cable and sat layout as of 2.5.09.jpg
    Cable and sat layout as of 2.5.09.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 426
2nd feed at ground block is a spare
2nd diplexer inserts at ground block, tv, rf side is new run to 2nd tv
diplexer must be rated to 2250 MHZ
From Your drawing the cable splitters have Nothing to do with the 722 feed or the backfeed. Goodluck

All I can help with is the Dioplexer.
I have Sat signal from the DPP44 and the TV2 output from a 625 going in.
The output coax through the wall to the output side of a second Dioplexer.
The two inouts of the second Dioplexer go to RF input on Bdrm TV and Bdrm 625.
Input/output are kind of confusing with the Dioplexer put look at the picture in the link.
One side has two connection which I have called inputs.
The other side has one connection which I have called output.
Thourghly confused now?

This is the one to use.
The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, guys - I guess I just need to worry about my diplexers, and the cable splitters aren't an issue. Hopefully the signal strength on everything is strong enough to make all this work!

I understand how splitters/diplexers work in general, I was just a bit concerned that my particular setup might cause me to have special concerns. Since that's not the case, I'll just get two diplexers online that do 5-2150 and pass DC on one side, measure for some RG-6 and then hook it all up and hope it works...

Thanks!

Or you could run a straight backfeed off the TV2 port if to the 2nd TV. If you plan on running a new line anyway that's the least technically confusing way to do it and you won't screw up your sat feed or anything. remember, diplexers are a convenience not a neccesity.

Or you could run a straight backfeed off the TV2 port if to the 2nd TV. If you plan on running a new line anyway that's the least technically confusing way to do it and you won't screw up your sat feed or anything. remember, diplexers are a convenience not a neccesity.
You are absolutely correct. Separate coax for each is the simplest/best option.
But what about the geeky cool factor?;)
I'm about to try feeding three signals through one coax.
Currently have a Dioplexer set up to run a coax with two signals( Sat & TV2 ) through the wall.
Now I'm going to add a pair of splitters outside the Dioplexers and feed a second TV2 signal through the wall. Sat, TV2-1 and TV2-2 all on one coax.
Should be fun.:D

I know straight coax is an option - however, that's just not happening with my house, since TV1 and TV2 are at opposite ends! I think the solution I worked out with help from you guys will be fine - I've ordered the diplexers and some good outdoor cable and will probably post back when I've done the install.

Thanks again!

Scratch what was here before - I solved it! :D

Unfortunately, there was a kink in the brand-new cable I bought along with the diplexers for the outside run from diplexer -> cable distribution, which I didn't notice while installing. That'll show me not to test it before installing it... and it will also teach me not to assume that just because something is brand-new that it works!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)