Adding 2nd HDDVR, Self Instal Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeremiahpreston

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
OK so after a long thinking period I decided to re-up with D and they gave me a 2nd hddvr for free and I am trying to get it all hooked up but had a couple questions. The hddvr that I have in the living room has the single wire setup and they did not include that part with the hddvr for the bedroom. My question is do I need to instal the B band converter modules in the bedroom or not. The instructions that come with the BBC states that "a BBC Module must never be used in a system that contains a Single-Wire Multiswitch, the equivalent BBC functionality is already contained in the SWM". Does that cover BOTH tv's or just the living room tv?

okay clear up confusions. is your new HDDVR a HR23? if so, if you already have a HDDVR that is up and running... if its got a ONE line into it and you can record two shows at once, im guessing you got a SWM install. if you do, you do NOT need a B-band converter. SWM install would cover up to 8 rooms on one switch so yah it would be the same in any room if you got the SWM install.

from what you are saying.. you dont need the BBC bc you got a SWM install...

sddtvtech......
OK so the living room HDDVR is a HR21-700. When they installed it almost 2 years ago they did the 1 wire install I think. I think so because there is 1 wire running into the living room to a grey box with the D logo on it, the box is powered. From that little grey box 1 wire goes to the HR21-700 and yes I have no issue recording 2 HD or SD shows at once. So now that I have told you that I still don't know if I need to install the B-band converters. Also do I need to run 2 rg6 cables to the new HR22-100 or just 1?
Thanks tvtech!

if you got one cable to the living room reciever, id say you got the SWM so you need only one to your new box without the BBC. make sure you are coming from the SWM switch to the new reciever.

its an older SWM system but ya it will work without the BBC and you only need one cable to run two tuners.

The lead to the new receiver is NOT coming from the SWM it is coming from the satellite, well the multiswitch that is ran directly from the satellite.

if its NOT a SWM system, then you need 2... if you have a SWM installed, you can use 1.

simple as that.. if you got a HR21, you need a BBC on a KAKU SL5 or SL3, no BBC required if SWM installed. if you got a HR23, you dont need a BBC on either dish type SWM or KAKU3 or 5 bc BBC is intergraded.

does that help?

but according to you, you dont have a BBC on your HR21 and theres one cable in the HR21... and has a powered box at the first reciever. it is SWM, i dunno, it could be that 2 years ago they didnt use switches, i dont know. 2 years ago i was in a 2 dish market using WB68 and SWM was not an option here.

OK thanks for all the help. Looking at the grey box it has 2 coax inputs on it, 1 is labeled IRD and the other is labeled SWM. So if I understand what you are saying I only need 1 coax ran to the new receiver and it does NOT need to be coming from the SWM box in the living room..... right? The SWM box in the living room does all the work for both even though it is only ran to the living room? Sorry to be such a pain but when I called D, 3 times, I seemed to know more and I really don't know anything.

the first box should have the PI (power inserter) that you mention above. anthing after that box just needs a cable from the switch, you have to have a switch somewhere that goes back to the dish. it has to be a 4 way i think.

yes you got a SWM install. just need to find that switch and find a OUT and use that to run it to your new room.
\

yes, your Gray box powers the LNB so you can recieve sat programming. if you unplug it, it will come up SFSS on all recievers you got. just one Power Inserter will power the LNB so you can watch on all recievers.

somewhere in the house or up at the dish is your switch. gotta put a cable from that to the room you want the new reciever at.

hope that helps..

and no youre not a pain.. you came to us and we techs or someone with experience can help you. i know how CSR can be pain though.

Wow, two years ago I had not even heard of SWM & you have one installed with only one receiver. As mentioned above, somewhere is a SWM switch that you will use to run your single cable to your new location. This is why I like to have all my feeds/components in a centrally located utility closet so you can make these modifications easy. If the PI is located in your living room & the switch back up at your dish you have quite a cable run to make.

If the "switch" that we are talking about is something like a multi-switch I believe that it is outside on the side of the house. I will have to take a look at it tonight when I get home. If that is the switch that we are talking about then I believe that both the coax cables that were ran to the bedroom are ran from that multi-switch. The new HDDVR is replacing a SDDVR from D so 2 years ago it needed to have 2 coax cable ran to it. I don't know if any of that info helps..... I will take a look at the multi-switch to see what if anything is tagged on it and let you know.

How many cables are coming out of your dish? Four or one? If it's four, you will have a SWM8 multiswitch, based on the rest of your setup description. If it's one, then you will have a splitter somewhere feeding all the IRD's.

How many cables are coming out of your dish? Four or one? If it's four, you will have a SWM8 multiswitch, based on the rest of your setup description. If it's one, then you will have a splitter somewhere feeding all the IRD's.

Without checking it, I'm at work, I believe that there are 4 wires out of the satellite to the multi-switch which outside of the home. From the multi-switch there is 1 coax running into the living room where the coax goes into the "grey box" that is powered and had SMW/SWM on it. From the "grey box" 1 coax goes to the back of the HDDVR in the living room. Now if we go back to the multi-switch outside, IF I remember correctly, there are 2 coax running from the multi-switch to the bedroom where the SDDVR is being replaced with the HDDVR. So I am still attempting to figure out what to do so I can get this taken care of...........................

Here is a picture of the SWM-8 and the power inserter. Look familiar?

Your old DVR will be hooked up to two of the legacy ports. Your new DVR will go into the 2nd SWM port. There are two on the SWM8 (They are splittable with the correct splitters). No B-Band converter. I have a attached a wiring diagram for you that might help...

Attachments

• swm-150.jpg
    swm-150.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 141
  • pi-150.jpg
    pi-150.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2DVR-SWM12-0SPLIT.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 219
WildBill,
Thanks for the diagram that helps! The pictures are exactly what I have at home. From looking at the diagram I am taking that all I need to do is move one of the coax leads from the "legacy" side and put it in the "swm2" port then simply run that lead to the back of the "new" HDDVR.... Correct?

Yep that's it. Just make sure when you run the setup on the new receiver it recognizes the SWM setup, or you may have to select it.

Let us know how it goes!

wildbill..... Sorry last question here. How do I make sure that it recognizes the SWM? How do I select it if I need to? Thanks again for all the help!

Here is a picture of the SWM-8 and the power inserter. Look familiar?

Your old DVR will be hooked up to two of the legacy ports. Your new DVR will go into the 2nd SWM port. There are two on the SWM8 (They are splittable with the correct splitters). No B-Band converter. I have a attached a wiring diagram for you that might help...

Bill,

This is basically my setup but I chose to only use one of the SWM ports & am running an SWM 8-way splitter off of that port. I was never sure about this but will ask since you seem to know your way around the barn; I can or cannot hook up another SWM 8-way splitter off the other SWM port to feed an additional 8 tuners?

Thanks,

jtwex

HELP!!!!!!!!!! OK did what you guys told me to and nothing.... Well something I have signal on the 3 even numbered sats and nothing on the odds. Receiver is telling me there is no signal from sat 2, which I think is OK. Any help?

UPDATE: I have signal on everything but sat 99 now.......

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts