Adding a second antenna

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I just moved into a new house where there was already an antenna installed. It is a CM4228 and I have attatched a picture. I live in a rural area in north Florida. Here is my antennaweb report:
* red - uhf WUFT-DT 36.1 PBS GAINESVILLE FL 81° 28.1 36http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family
* red - uhf WCJB-DT 20.1 ABC GAINESVILLE FL 105° 27.7 16
* blue - uhf WOGX-DT 51.1 FOX OCALA FL 123° 36.3 31

I was surprised that I actually picked up 20.1 and 36.1 with decent signal (70% - 80%). I was wondering if I added a second antenna to my setup if it would do much in increasing the signal? Also, if I did add a second antenna what equiptment would I need other than the antenna? I was thinking about this from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103088&cp=2032057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family

Edit:
Also I would like to be able to pick up my local CBS station. I am 16.7 miles from their transmitter but it is only broadcasting at 5.5kw. I picked it up at my old house but I'm not getting anything at the new house.

If I add the second antenna could I mount it to the same pole that the CM is on or would I have to put up a second mast?

Attachments

• 4228.jpg
    4228.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
In most situations you will make things worse rather than better by trying to randomly combine 2 antennas. Having multiple antennas is a possible means to increase signal strength when there is no chance they will interfere with each other and their signals are properly "phased" (combined additively rather than cancelling each other). Two (or more) antennas are generally only used when you need to receive channels on different frequencies from different locations and you can use combiners like the "Jointenna" to properly stack the signals into your downlead. Here is a resource that shows how one man with a lot of skill/knowledge in this "art" successfully combined two of the 4228s. This will give you a good idea just how complicated this is:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/16bay.html

If you are receiving a strong enough signal to give you a solid digital picture without break-up/pixelation, then I'd leave well enough alone. If you need to increase your signal strength, perhaps a preamp would be a better way to go, like the Winegard HDP 269.

Regarding your CBS channel - what is its actual channel number, and what's its bearing relative to your location? If it's UHF, your current CM antenna might be able to get it if you rotate it. There are other possibilities as well...

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

The CBS channel is on channel 28. I have rotated the antenna and pointed it right at the station but I'm getting no signal. I wasn't really expecting to get it because I am surrounded by pine trees and the station is at low power.

Do you think this RS antenna might do better at picking up these stations than the one that is already mounted?

bowens said:
Do you think this RS antenna might do better at picking up these stations than the one that is already mounted?
Doubtful. The CM4228 is at the top of its class. However, every situation is different. One of your stations is at 36 miles, the others are closer. So range is probably not a problem for you assuming those stations are medium to high power. From your OP it sounds like you have strong enough signals so I'm not really sure what you're trying to improve. If you have frequent pixelations, that is probably due more to multipath interference vs. weak signals. So pointing the antenna more critically, or using a more directional antenna might be the answer. I'm not an antenna guru. Someone else in this forum can help better if you can describe exactly what you're trying to accomplish in a bit more detail...

Rick0725 - you out there...?

Last edited:
can I see your zipcode to get a better feel of what is going on there.

the cm 4228 is the best for uhf and the radio shack is less in gain than the cm 4228 so the radio shack you are looking at will not perform better..

do you have a mechanical rotor or are you rotating by hand.

Last edited:
My zip code is 32693. I do not have a rotor and the antenna is not mounted very high (maybe 15 ft). The reason I want to get better reception is to get my CBS hd channel which is very low power.

Not to step on Rick here, but 5.5KW sounds like just their experimental power. Why not contact the station to find our when they plan to go to full power and also confirm what channel they will be on then - it might change...

Yeah, that's the channel, but I also remember last year I heard that they were supposed to go full strength and it didn't happen. They've been broadcasting at this low strength for a few years now.

They will ultimately have to go to full power as authorized by their license. If you can be patient you will save a fair amount of unnecessary hassle and expense setting-up an antenna that you won't need in the long run.