Adding a second receiver

And I guess sawing this down the middle to make two of one, is not an option.. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 138
Well, back to ebay I suppose. I've got a minimum of one month before I can do anything more with this anyway.

I'll just keep my eyes open for a bargain on them and another VIP211k. I'll set aside $100 in case I find something so I can jump on it if I need to. I would like to do this but it's a medium-low priority.
I very badly broke a toilet in my new house today and that's gonna set me back about $300. :confused:

One last question.

Is there a specific model or part number on those LNBFs I can search for? When I search for Dish Pro LNBF is bring up all sorts of nonsense and most of it is wrong. If there a specific number I can search for that would make it easier and reduce the chance of me ONCE AGAIN buying the wrong thing. Oops.

Get one and remove the plastic housing, it might look closer to your Directv LNBs. All you need to search for are DISH DP dual LNBs not Twins or Quads and definitely not Legacy.

Well, back to ebay I suppose. I've got a minimum of one month before I can do anything more with this anyway.

I'll just keep my eyes open for a bargain on them and another VIP211k. I'll set aside $100 in case I find something so I can jump on it if I need to. I would like to do this but it's a medium-low priority.
I very badly broke a toilet in my new house today and that's gonna set me back about $300. :confused:

One last question.

Is there a specific model or part number on those LNBFs I can search for? When I search for Dish Pro LNBF is bring up all sorts of nonsense and most of it is wrong. If there a specific number I can search for that would make it easier and reduce the chance of me ONCE AGAIN buying the wrong thing. Oops.
Get one and remove the plastic housing, it might look closer to your Directv LNBs. All you need to search for are DISH DP dual LNBs not Twins or Quads and definitely not Legacy.

Dish DP lnb will do it on search. You can save some money with a single lnb output model since your 3 dish setup would not be using the second output of a dual outputs lnb .

Rip the plastic cover off (not needed) and you will see that the aluminum horn will fit your existing mount. You may have to increase the barrel diameter a bit using duct tap for a snug fit if your old direct lnb has a slightly larger barrel diameter.

I found Ebays search function for Dish Pro dual LNBs was very poor Twins and Quads were listed.

I just bought three of these Dish Pro LNBFs $_57-6.JPG

I will connect them to this switch $_57-7.JPG which will allow me to connect up to four receivers, correct?

I also purchased a second ViP211k which I will have an EHD for, just like the first one.

Once I get it all connected up I contact Dish and they can activate the 2nd receiver and it will only increase my monthly bill by $7, right?

Thank you all for all your help! :D

I just bought three of these Dish Pro LNBFs View attachment 104721

I will connect them to this switch View attachment 104720 which will allow me to connect up to four receivers, correct?
well 4 tuners. If you had a dual tuner receiver (like the 722) then you would need two lines to the receiver.
But for simplification yes you could run 4 211's off of that switch

I also purchased a second ViP211k which I will have an EHD for, just like the first one.
good. and since you already paid the $40 fee on the 1st 211 you don't have to pay the DVR fee on this new one

Once I get it all connected up I contact Dish and they can activate the 2nd receiver and it will only increase my monthly bill by $7, right?
yup

I would suggest PM'ing a DIRT member when you activate. All they need is the account info and the R & S#'s on the receiver (which you get in the system info screen)

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Cool beans! I'm looking forward to it!

In my new house I don't want to drill holes all over the place like my old house which was, really old and quite shabby compared to this one.
As a temporary measure I have a 50 foot HDMI cable running down the hallway to my bedroom and one down running down the stairwell to the living room.
My receiver is in my computer room where I spend a lot of time so I like to have the TV on in there. I put a 1x4 splitter so I can also run it to the other rooms and use that flying saucer remote control thingie and it works fairly well.
But the cables laying around are unacceptable and have to go soon. With a tuner downstairs I can run a single, short cable right up through the floor into the bedroom and no one will be able to see it.
That new receiver will feed the bedroom and living room. I can't be in both at once so it's not an issue. The one in my computer room will just be there all on it's own, I might run a wire to the guest room but I really don't see a need to do that.
With two units recording independent of one another I no longer have to worry about those silly overlaps. I despise how they run programs over the hour mark, sometimes by only a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two or even three minutes.
It makes recording shows a nightmare. I'm sure they do that just to annoy people.

I'm looking forward to getting it all setup proper for once! :D
This week I can run the wires and have it all ready for the new goodies to get in. I should be good to go by the weekend..

With two units recording independent of one another I no longer have to worry about those silly overlaps. I despise how they run programs over the hour mark, sometimes by only a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two or even three minutes.
It makes recording shows a nightmare. I'm sure they do that just to annoy people.
you catch on quickly :)

I know when I had Directv the same issue came about and I thought it was due to the clock not being exactly right. I know on my Tivo the OTA programs are about 99.5% right (as in no overlap is needed).

One other thing is on the 211's you can move the hard drive from one receiver to another (on the same account) with no issues.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
I never noticed overlap issues on the locals on Dish. The channels that experience the issue the most, for me, usually come from Viacom. The only time locals ran over were when pushed for Major News breaks, or sports events.

I never noticed overlap issues on the locals on Dish. The channels that experience the issue the most, for me, usually come from Viacom. The only time locals ran over were when pushed for Major News breaks, or sports events.

For instance, on the "history" channel, after 10pm shows run an hour and one minute. Then they start bumping the start and end time by a minute here and there until about 2 or 3 am when they are three minutes off.
Say the "Idiots chewing on Logs" runs from 2:02am until 3:03.. Etc...

But even in primetime shows will end 3-5 seconds after the hour on many channels. You have to extend the recording to catch all of it but that prevents you from starting a recording on a different channel right away.

Science Channel - "Bigfoot marries Mermaid Megaladon Shark" runs from 7pm to 8:00:05 so you have to extend the record time by 1 minute to catch those few seconds.

BUT, on TLC you have "Goobers Licking Steering Wheels" runs precisely at 8:00:00

If you try to use the automatic timer setups it just won't record "Goobers Licking Steering Wheels" at 8:00:00 because it is still recording "Bigfoot marries Mermaid Megaladon Shark" until 8:01:00
So it will tell you that it can't record and will try to reschedule it for the next occurrence which may be later in the night, if you are lucky.

I've dealt with it but it is annoying. Now this won't be an issue anymore. It will mean that I'll have to go between two machines to program it all but I'll deal with that too.

It's in no way the fault of the DVR and I doubt Dish has much to do with it though I'm sure they could trim the commercials down a little so that shows start and stop precisely at the top of the hour, as they should.
I am certain that it's just a crappy trick by the networks to keep you from DVR'ing other channels or to keep you on their channel rather than switching.
Or maybe they just do it to be jerks. But I think it's to keep you tuned to them.

Dee why are you giving the networks ideas for new shows? ;)

But you are right. Cable channels dont seem to end exactly as it should. Network programming usually is good with the actual end times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts