adding a switch to a motorized setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
One item that was discussed in this thread was the Diseqc switch. I have set up a motorized system using a linear LNB and am scanning the skies quite successfully now. I am looking to also point an 18" reflector at the 119 bird to catch Nasa and some music. Is there any major issues with hooking the motorized on to the LNB1 input of my Diseqc 4 port switch and hooking 119 into LNB 2? I've even though of the idea of setting up a dedicated reflector for Galaxy 10, I could put that into LNB3. I guess I'm just wondering if there are any major issues with running the motor through a 4 port switch?

One item that was discussed in this thread was the Diseqc switch. I have set up a motorized system using a linear LNB and am scanning the skies quite successfully now. I am looking to also point an 18" reflector at the 119 bird to catch Nasa and some music. Is there any major issues with hooking the motorized on to the LNB1 input of my Diseqc 4 port switch and hooking 119 into LNB 2? I've even though of the idea of setting up a dedicated reflector for Galaxy 10, I could put that into LNB3. I guess I'm just wondering if there are any major issues with running the motor through a 4 port switch?

as long as the switch is AFTER the motor, you'll be fine

receiver----------motor------switch-----LNB's

You could always ziptie/hoseclamp the DBS LNB to the KU LNB and then you can get the free stuff on 110, 119, 91, 82

not much on 82 & 91 anymore but 110 has GolTV. 119 has NASA and some audio. The only drawback is the LNB will be off by 5 degrees (since its offset from the KU). I do it this wayt and it works fine. When I set up the motor (if using USALS) its off by 5 degrees (but thats no biggie) :)

as long as the switch is AFTER the motor, you'll be fine

receiver----------motor------switch-----LNB's

Ah Ha! That;s what I was doing wrong.. I was doing the following:

receiver ------>switch------->motor / multiple LNBs

I've got lots of RG6 cable and cable ends ready to go. Maybe some evening this week I'll get the 119 hooked up. I like the music channels on 119.

Any chance I damaged the switch through my incorrect hookup and trying to move a dish through it?

Any chance I damaged the switch through my incorrect hookup and trying to move a dish through it?

not necessarily. I use to have it that way when I had a separate dish for 123 (G10) before I found out you shouldnt do that. The issue I had was if I was on G10 and went to the motor, I had to select a channel, then another channel to get the motor to move.

The switch should still be good.

The switch should still be good.

Thanks. Oh, and I'm sorry for hi-jacking the thread.. I had done a search on Motor and Switch and this thread came up, and the idea of a switch was already in the thread, that's why I chose here to post.. Carry on with Viewsat talk :)

Make sure you power off (turn the switch off) each time you insert or remove the switch !!!

defn, use the dead man switch on the back of the ird, or pull the power to the ird. many irds like dreambox when you goto the menu and turn off, or press the power button on the front, they are mearly in standby, still sending power to the lnbs :(

defn, use the dead man switch on the back of the ird, or pull the power to the ird. many irds like dreambox when you goto the menu and turn off, or press the power button on the front, they are mearly in standby, still sending power to the lnbs :(

Can you fry the switch this way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)