fortec classic NA corruption

Status
Please reply by conversation.

a_hockeynut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
Rochester, Minnesota
I had read about it before, and now I got hit. I know, scan in too many transponders and the fortec cannot handle very many and so bad things start to happen. Anyone know the max number of transponders I can have loaded in? I remember reading somewhere the max number of channels is like 4800.

Max number of transponders must be sort of low in comparison (especially a problem when blind scanning too many birds, I guess when I added the circular LNB the number of transponders on blind scan went through the roof!).

I also remember reading somewhere that you could delete all of the transponders but one on each satellite to take care of the problem without losing any channels. However, I found out with my fortec (perhaps that was a different firmware version), if I delete a transponder that I had channels on I also loose the channels :( .

So I went through and selectively deleted transponders which did not have channels, and trimmed it down alot. I manually fixed up some of the corruption (satellite names with weird symbols), but I still have weird things happening (timers changing to be a different channel than what I had originally set, the time/date suddenly being off a year).

I did buy a NULL modem cable, got the fortec software (and channel master software), and loaded my computer with the channels/transponders/satellites which I have scanned in on my fortec.

The big question is what will I lose if I do the reset on my fortec? I think I need to because I see these other weird things going on. I am just hoping I am not going to have to scan in all the birds again (and set positions). Of course I suppose some of that may be corrupted as well, so maybe I want that to be reset too?

I guess with the channel list loaded on my computer, if the reset really does wipe everything out I have a copy which I can either manually go through or just load it back on the fortec (or is that just like putting the corruption back on?).

I could find out by trial and error, but I want to go into this with some info up front to know what all I am in for (and with advise from the experts here I can't go wrong :)) .

A reset should put it back to the same state it was in when you got it. But if you have a list to load in that is no problem. Just be sure to motor back to your true south bird to be on the safe side before reseting.

I have the same trouble with the fortec classic NA, I did some checking and I found out that there is something about IA5 which causes most of the corruption on the NA. Don't know what it is about that sat that causes it but it does. I can load up transponders all day long on the NA with no problem, until I get to IA5.
I'm stumped:confused:
rdel

Thanks for the info! Now I know what to expect when doing the reset, and know which satellite to avoid doing a blindscan on! I am not sure I would have made the connection to IA5 (97w) and corruption, but now I know.... thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)