Adding Digital Sub Channels to AM21 OTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kschramm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
One of the local channels in Baltimore added a digital sub today. "Cool TV" channel 54-2.
Does anyone know how to manually add channels to the AM21 receiver?

you can't...its all done automatically in the AM21

as to how to get D* to add it, I've only had my AM21 a month so that I do not know

Two things that may speed up the process.
Email Tribune Media Services of the addition and also request that the station make sure they have updated the info to Tribune.

I have used well over a dozen OTA tuners in the last few years from PC cards to converter boxes and ones built into TVs/ and DVD players, they all have scanning and manual add functions. I wonder why the AM21 doesn't have scanning functions.

and when the Tribune data services does add it to the lineup I wonder if the channel will automically appear or if I will just have to guess they added the channel and do a reset of my channel settings.

In the mean time while your waiting on D* to add them to thier database, you could run the OTA antenna feed into your TV and re scan and if your TV has a Digital tuner, it will pick up your new channels.
You'll have to change inputs to view it, but you'll have it !

thanks for the link Bob, i was looking all over for the tribune website.

i have the antenna running through a distribution box. three outputs, - TV, media Center PC and AM21. The TV picked it up right away. i don't even have to re-scan I just enter the channel number 54-2 and it adds it. Other than the AM21 not auto adding channels it is pretty nice. when I had Dish Net, there Vip622 only provided guide data for the locals they carried.

Ok, there are 2 new channels, since maybe October in my area, now showing up in ZAP2IT, that the AM21 won't pull in. Why?

I did a reset and started from scratch, and they're still not showing up.

Ok, there are 2 new channels, since maybe October in my area, now showing up in ZAP2IT, that the AM21 won't pull in. Why?

I did a reset and started from scratch, and they're still not showing up.

Do they show in the AM21 guide? If not, then they aren't in the database yet.

They weren't on the ZAP2IT website when I got the AM21, but have since been added, which I thought would automatically be added to the AM21.

So is there a DirecTV database too that needs to be updated?

You might try the station itself - explain it to them that you want to watch them, (& their subs) but they need to push D* to update it's OTA database. I did this with one of our local PBS's & it got done in a couple days - YMMV of course...

I e-mailed Tribune regarding AntennaTV, which starts locally Jan. 1 on WJW 8.2 (Cleveland DMA)
Signal is already up and running, just mirroring the Fox programs at this time
I would THINK that Tribune would have the OTA database updated by Jan. 1 since AntennaTV is owned by Tribune Co. and will be on subchannels in NY (WPIX), Chicago (WGN) L.A. (KTLA) and a bunch more cities.

yes there is a D* database that needs to be updated

Iceberg any idea how to get Directv to update their database. I am missing about half of my local over the air via the AM21. I have spoken to several CSRs in tech support. I don't think any CSRs (even Tech Support) at Directv understands how the AM21 works. Very frustrating!!!

I have contacted Tribune to make sure all the channels are in their database as well.

Iceberg any idea how to get Directv to update their database. I am missing about half of my local over the air via the AM21. I have spoken to several CSRs in tech support. I don't think any CSRs (even Tech Support) at Directv understands how the AM21 works. Very frustrating!!!

I have contacted Tribune to make sure all the channels are in their database as well.

I have the same issue with WTIC 61-2 here in CT. Tribune has the channel listed, but Directv hasn't added it yet. I went through their website and had to exchange several emails before they understood what needed to be done. IOW, don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Can you list some examples?
Have you tried the secondary market option?

I dont know how to get them added. You might want to pm stonecold He might know more than I would

You really should try & contact THAT particular local station & explain the situation to them. After all, THEY are the ones going to be the MOST affected by NOT having their "wares" displayed properly - once they understand it, you might be surprised how fast it's fixed. If it's causing a problem w/D*, it's also probably causing a problem with at least another guide provider. The station should be able to directly contact the proper people@TMS & probably be able to get it fixed much quicker than "joe schmo" off the street - again, because it IS directly affecting THAT said station.

I did this very thing with one of our local PBS's over a year ago - once I personally called the station engineer & explained the whole situation, it was fixed in a couple days, AND has been fine since then. :)

What about those oddball subchannels that the station passes through (nationwide subchanels)....like as example here in Minneapolis we have a "The Country Network" subchannel (23-3). Its the same feed for all stations yet it doesnt show in the AM21 (23-2 Cool TV does)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)