Adding dish for camping

mallard1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2016
arkansas
I live in central Arkansas and we like going camping on the river about 30 min south from home. First off after reading lots on here I know that I don't know much about all this so please bear with me. I have a Dish 722 receiver at home for 2 TV's that is eastern ark using the 61.5 and 72 sat. I just picked up a 211 k box and was given a dish by a friend to use. where we normally set the camper up has a good opening to the south, south east so I would like to try to use these same satellites. how can I tell if the dish I have will work with this? thanks for the help.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is the dish I have

It will work just fine.
Its a 1000.4 EA dish.
It does 61.5, 72, 77 orbital locations.

Works with All 211s
612,622,722,722k,922,Hopper 1 and Hopper 2 receivers.
Should work Wallys as well.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Thanks for the help. Next, the dish has 3 coax cables coming out. When I had it open I ohmed each and labeled them 1,2,3 to correspond to the lnb. 1=77, 2= 72.7, 3=61.5

Which do I connect to the receiver or do they all three need to connect to something and then to the receiver?

Sorry for all the questions, I get almost no cell service where we camp so I cannot call dish if I run into problems. Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the help. Next, the dish has 3 coax cables coming out. When I had it open I ohmed each and labeled them 1,2,3 to correspond to the lnb. 1=77, 2= 72.7, 3=61.5

Which do I connect to the receiver or do they all three need to connect to something and then to the receiver?

Sorry for all the questions, I get almost no cell service where we camp so I cannot call dish if I run into problems. Thanks again for the help
You only need 1 wire per receiver.
Doesn't matter which port.
Just not the LNB in port.
Pro Plus LNB does all 3 locations from one port.
If you are Hooking up a Dual Tuner VIP, than you need a Separator at the back of the Dual tuner receiver.
But 211s dont need this.

You only need to know which satellite is at each port if you are Using an external Multi switch, and even then, thats only if you don't want all 3 orbital locations at the switch.

(I have the same LNB going to a DPP44 switch, But Im only using port 2 and 3 for 72 and 61.5.
Port 1 is going to a 211z Directly

The DPP44 then feeds 3 lines to a Duo Node for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, while the 4th port on my switch is the PI, with a 2nd 211z)

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Thanks for the help, that makes sense now. One last question, I put in where I will be into dish pointer and this is what it spit out. Just making sure I picked the correct settings. Also assuming my mast is perfectly plumb is my dish set correctly now assuming I point the correct azimuth? Thanks again for getting me straightened out.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for the help, that makes sense now. One last question, I put in where I will be into dish pointer and this is what it spit out. Just making sure I picked the correct settings. Also assuming my mast is perfectly plumb is my dish set correctly now assuming I point the correct azimuth? Thanks again for getting me straightened out.View attachment 119645View attachment 119646View attachment 119647
No your dish is not set correctly. You will need to make small adjustments to peak your signal, but those settings will get you in the ballpark.

Thanks, so I can get it set up easier as we go other places, which of the two settings or both did I miss on and what is correct? Thanks for the help

Reactions: Tampa8
Thanks, so I can get it set up easier as we go other places, which of the two settings or both did I miss on and what is correct? Thanks for the help
The settings look fine for elevation and skew.
But remember you still have to get the azimuth correct.
That requires a lot of patience, and a Signal meter would aid tremendously.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

+1 on the signal meter. I have set one up at my house without, and watched a friend set one up at his rv and it was much easier. If you are going to be setting it up more than once in awhile it may be worth the purchase.

Thanks for all the help. I'm thinking about pointing this dish and leaving it there as that's not a problem then getting the tailgater for parks, and national Forrest trips.

Also is there any reason I couldn't get another receiver with dvr and have the two tv's on different channels dish as a 211z with dvr?

Thanks for all the help. I'm thinking about pointing this dish and leaving it there as that's not a problem then getting the tailgater for parks, and national Forrest trips.

Also is there any reason I couldn't get another receiver with dvr and have the two tv's on different channels dish as a 211z with dvr?

That's a good idea if your at the same spot at a campground all the time.

I got one customer we have the dish mounted in a tree due to line of site issues.

Carried my generator, box and tv down this afternoon and tried pointing the dish.

I covered the two outer lnb and found 72 with about 55 strength. Uncovered the lnb and had 0 for the others. I tried moving slightly left and right but any movement over probably 2 degrees dropped my 72 down in the 20's.

What am I doing wrong

Carried my generator, box and tv down this afternoon and tried pointing the dish.

I covered the two outer lnb and found 72 with about 55 strength. Uncovered the lnb and had 0 for the others. I tried moving slightly left and right but any movement over probably 2 degrees dropped my 72 down in the 20's.

What am I doing wrong
Hows your line of site?
How about your Check switch/system information?
Does it say 61.5 , 72.5,77 as save satellites ?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Line of sight seems good, have a tree top slightly west but I believe 72 should be the most west bird.

Port 1 showed 72, ok. Port 2 and 3 both had con and X I believe.

I left the skew on 64, how sensitive is skew?

Line of sight seems good, have a tree top slightly west but I believe 72 should be the most west bird.

Port 1 showed 72, ok. Port 2 and 3 both had con and X I believe.

I left the skew on 64, how sensitive is skew?
Have you ran a check switch?
Under system settings it should tell you which satellites were found.
If only the 72, then, for some reason your are not getting the 61.5.

If you peak the 72, you should have some kind of signal on the 61.5.

Peak the 72 again, and try and rerun a check switch.

The skew, isnt going to matter that much if its off 5 degrees one way or another.
Just make sure you have the proper settings for your Zip and Dish type.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)