Adding equipment to existing service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If this has been posted before, my apologies for I could not easily find it.

Since I've moved into my new house I have had satellite and my roommate has cable. When I had my D* install done in July I asked her about jumping on the bandwagon but it was "No, no...not interested." Today she was fussing about the cost of cable and I wanted to see how much it would be to add another HD DVR and HD STB to my account so she could cancel cable and save some money (not to mention I could split the bill now).

I already have an HR24 and an H24.

I logged onto my account and there is an upgrade option. It said for upfront costs another HD DVR would be $199 and the HD STB would be $99 with a $50 install and a $10 (leased x2) monthly charge. I can understand the install fee (the original installer even mentioned "cheaper to do it now") but why is there a cost for the boxes? The way it's presented on the web site is that I have to purchase the boxes but that they ultimately do not belong to me and are leased. If they're mine, that's fine [to pay] but if they're leased why is there a charge?

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

They are leased boxes so would not be yours. The 1 time charge is to cover your use of that box for as long as you keep it. You may be able to find deals elsewhere but will still be pricey. Sorry for the bummer news.

You are paying an upfront lease fee. In order to own them you would need to pay the retail price, approx $500 for a HD DVR. You would also be paying an additional $5 per month to mirror the programming package you have on your account to the new receiver. Every receiver after you first one is charged the $5 programming mirror fee. So in your case, you would be paying a total of $10 in programming mirror charges. One of your original 24s is the main (free) one and then the other 24 and this new one for your roommate would be $5 each.

Tell the room mate to give you $199 if they want an HD DVR and/or $99 if they want an HD Receiver.

Much like a smart phone from your cell company, you are paying a reduced cost to get into the advanced device with the contract promise to stay a minimum number of months at a minimum package level. This offsets their overall costs and allows them to make "X" price point.

charper1 said:
Much like a smart phone from your cell company, you are paying a reduced cost to get into the advanced device with the contract promise to stay a minimum number of months at a minimum package level. This offsets their overall costs and allows them to make "X" price point.

That is also a subsidized cost, but you would actually own your cell phone. Another way to put this is to ask whether most people would rather pay $700 and own a receiver or $200 and lease it. There are very few advantages to owning equipment with DirecTV in my opinion. DirecTV does a poor job of explaining how the leasing system works in the favor of most customers.

I agree there are pros and cons. I think they do a decent job of explaining the terms; particularly if users will actually read the provided materials; BUT that said I have never like NOT obtaining ownership after the contracted period.

As fast as tech changes I can see and advantage to leasing but the terms should be lower or if wanting ownership the upfront costs should be lower. But whatever the market will bear; that's the nature of the system.

If you want to save a few bucks, call DTV and at the voice prompts say CANCEL. That will get you to retention where you're quite likely to get a better deal...but there's no way you'll get it without extending your contract two years.

If you want to save a few bucks, call DTV and at the voice prompts say CANCEL. That will get you to retention where you're quite likely to get a better deal...but there's no way you'll get it without extending your contract two years.

Very good advise; call & you should get the DVR for min $99 with the standard H24 anywhere from free to $49. Unfortunately there is no way around extending your contract another two years, something you want to explain thoroughly to your roomy should either of you move earlier than the contract states. Unless Internet speed was an issue, I can't believe your roomy wanted his/her own crappy cable when you guys could easily split a bill here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)