Status
Please reply by conversation.

dmadson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
appleton, wi
Hello,

I'm in the process of finishing my base and want to pull the cable from the sat before hand. Currently i only have on HD-Dvr receiver and would like to add a hd receiver and another HD-DVR. What i need to know is what kind of cable i need to pull and and what i need to add to the sat to plug in the cable too.

Please HELP! :)

You need RG6 cable and the appropriate F compression fittings. Check your local Lowe's or Home Depot.

Also, tell us what dish and receiver models you have. This will tell us how many cables you need to pull. Do you think you might want to use an antenna for OTA?

I just got the dish this winter, i think i have a huges reciver, and a slim line 5 dish. When i check out the dish i have two lines running out into the house and then in to the hddvr. Where would i check to see what model i have? Also how many runs will i need to pull for one more hd dvr and one hd box.

I'll assume you still need an answer. :)

The 5 LNB dish has an integrated 4 output multiswitch. So unless you need more than 4 tuners, just connect from the dish to the receivers.

The model number is on a nmae plate on the back. It can also be found on the Info screen.

So my current dvr has 2 tuners and if i wanted to add a new hddvr and a hd box that would be 3 tuners correct? So i would run 3 more cables correct? 2 to the new hddvr and on to the hd box.

Also, beware that DirecTV will extend your contract for two years when you add any new receiver. If they don't tell you about it, ask before you acticate the new receiver.

I just want to run the cables now, and get the boxs in about 6 mo. Im finishing my basement and need the cables in place before i sheetrock.

You will need 5 cables total (2 per DVR, 1 for the HD receiver). The multiswitch on the dish only has 4 outputs, so you will need to add a WB68 multiswitch. Run 4 cables from the dish to the multiswitch and 5 cables from the multiswitch to the receivers. The multiswitch can be mounted inside or outside.

If i have direct tv come out and i order the boxs but do not activate them, do i have to pay the 4.99 a mo. Or does that start when i actavate them?

Also would i be able to run the two lines i have into the spliter and not 4? Can the two lines get spilt to 5?

If i have direct tv come out and i order the boxs but do not activate them, do i have to pay the 4.99 a mo. Or does that start when i actavate them?
If DirecTV comes out to do this, they will activate the receivers at that time. If you have DirecTV ship the receivers to you, they must be activated within 30 days or you could face some stiff penalty fees.

Also would i be able to run the two lines i have into the spliter and not 4? Can the two lines get spilt to 5?

NO!!!!

You must have four lines from the dish to the multiswitch, and one line for each tuner coming out of the multiswitch. You can not use splitters for a DirecTV system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)