Adding Transponder to CS5000? HELP!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Highway66

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
I'm pretty new to FTA and I got my CS5000 setup yesterday with a SG2100 motor, Invacom QPH-031 LNB and Winegard 31" dish. Luckily, the setup went much better than expected and I'm now getting 12 satellites. Here's my problem: I want to add some transponders to Intelsat Americas 6 at 93.0°W because I've read about all the newsfeeds there. When I originally scanned the transponders supplied with my CS5000 at that location I only got about 20 channels. I then went to Lyngsat to get the transponder info for various feeds. I then went to add them using the "manual scan" mode. I add the transponder freq. # such as 12116 and then I indicate whether the polarity is "V" or "H" (Im not sure if I need to change the symbol rate or not), but when I'm finished there is never any indication of a satellite signal for that transponder and the scan produces nothing. I'm either not inputting the info correctly (most likely) or the transponder info is outdated. Can someone please help me out on this. I blind scanned the satellite yesterday but pulled in many transponders from other satellites close by (apparently). Is there a place to download the latest channel lists for free FTA's with the latest transponders? Thanks!

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

The problem is news feeds, and feeds in general come and go all the time. They will broadcast for a few minutes then may be gone for hours!

Let us know what channels you get from adjacent satellites and we can tell you whats happening!

Lyngsat is the BEST place to visit for transponder information, some times its a day or so out of date but you can trust is 98% of the time.

If its not mentioned on Lyngsat we do not mention it here in the FTA forum, thats how channels disappear. (Just a reminder for all members)

When using manual scan, you do need to put in frequency, symbol rate, and polarization before scanning.

On Blind Scan, you will get the most results (but it takes quite a bit longer) by selecting "detail" under SR on the blind scan menu.

A few times on my Coolsat 5000, I've picked up transponders on a nearby satellite, but usually it's been because I didn't have the motor exactly "centered" on the satellite I was scanning. Also, it will pick up transponders with some sort of signal (such as a data service) but no TV channels.

jh98 said:
When using manual scan, you do need to put in frequency, symbol rate, and polarization before scanning.

On Blind Scan, you will get the most results (but it takes quite a bit longer) by selecting "detail" under SR on the blind scan menu.

A few times on my Coolsat 5000, I've picked up transponders on a nearby satellite, but usually it's been because I didn't have the motor exactly "centered" on the satellite I was scanning. Also, it will pick up transponders with some sort of signal (such as a data service) but no TV channels.

I really appreciate the information. I'm just now doing another blind scan using the "detail" setting under SR. It will take awhile but it's looking better already!

Glad to help. Hope you enjoy your Coolsat, I'm having a lot of fun with mine.

Highway66 said:
I add the transponder freq. # such as 12116 and then I indicate whether the polarity is "V" or "H" (Im not sure if I need to change the symbol rate or not

Yes you do need the correct symbol rate. Best thing to do reall is just scan alot! I put in all the TPs from Lyngsat at first, but now I am doing just about the opposite. After some TPs build up, I usually delete everything because I don't like going through the whole list since there are only a few feeds on any given sat. Plus the way things change and move around in FTA it's best to rescan regularly.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Yes you do need the correct symbol rate. Best thing to do reall is just scan alot! I put in all the TPs from Lyngsat at first, but now I am doing just about the opposite. After some TPs build up, I usually delete everything because I don't like going through the whole list since there are only a few feeds on any given sat. Plus the way things change and move around in FTA it's best to rescan regularly.

I really do appreciate the feedback. For instance, I'm trying to get the "GameZnflix" channel on IA-5. Lyngsat shows it on transponder 12177 (V). I scan that transponder and I get about all the channels listed on Lyngsat, for that transponder, but not that channel?? Could you look at Lyngsat and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

It is at 12177 V but the SR is 22997. If you look at the Lyngsat chart, they have it listed at the top under "Pittsburg Intl Communications" as 23000 (3 digits don't mean much in this case). When they have something at the head of a column like that it means it is for the whole column. Takes a while to get used to reading Lyngsat. I am getting "Gameznflicks" loud and clear.

Best thing is just do alot of blind scans-you will pick up everything without having to know the specific info.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the information. I finally got GameZnFlix using a PID scan, but I think I did it the hard way. Also, thanks for the Lyngsat info.

GamesNFlicks logs in as "Channel 1" for some odd reason. I just scanned IA5 yesterday and noticed that :)

You're right about it coming in as channel 1. I went ahead and renamed it and I'm good to go. Thanks again for everybody's help. I'm glad I stumbled on to your site .. it's great!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)