This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Adding Windows XP To A Vista Machine

AllieVi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Temecula, CA (area)
I have a relatively new notebook that came with Vista and I want to add Windows XP for dual-boot use. I set up a partition for XP using Acronis Disk Director, but nothing happens when I click on “Install Now” (or whatever the message is) from the XP Professional installation disk. I get no response of any kind.

Any suggestions from someone who has successfully added XP? TIA

You might try booting off the Windows XP CD and selecting the newly created partition in text-mode setup. It *should* see the vista install and bootloader and just add it to the menu as an option.

See the following:

Trouble with loading XP after Vista for dual-boot config... - TechNet Forums

NightRyder

I did the same thing with a new Dell I bought. Here's how i did it....

Booted into Vista and using the built in drive manager split my primary drive make a seperate partition for XP.

Then shut it down, rebooted with the XP disk in the drive. Installed on the new partition like you normally would.

Then put in the Vista disk/recovery disk, and reinstall Vista.

If XP is there when you install Vista, vista will automatically add it to the boot loader.

There may be a better way to do it... but thats how I did it.

I also recommend downloading EASYBCD (its free), it will fix your master boot record after the repair of vista using the vista disc (make sure you use the vista repair option not the reinstal). After you boot back into vista run easybcd and repair the MBR with it. The next time you boot you will see an option for both vista and xp to select. its that easy.

I think you just need to boot of the XP CD.

I used Acronis to triple boot XP, Vista (have since got rid of it) and OS X. It works great.