Windows 10/11 Download

2023-11 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 Builds: 22621.2792 and 22631.2792 for x64 Systems (KB5032288) has been released. Significant time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart (lengthy install/restart). Several new features and quality improvements come with this update.

Reactions: vazhog
2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 Build:22621.2861 and 22631.2861 (KB5033375) for x64 based Systems has been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new operating system features.

2024-01 .NET 6.0.26 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5033733) and 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64 (KB5033920) and 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 Build:22621.3007 and 22631.3007 (KB5034123) have been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new operating system features.

What is the latest consensus of which is better - 10 or 11? I usually download the new versions as soon as it comes out, but I held off on this one being I read that the 11 version was buggy.

What is the latest consensus of which is better - 10 or 11? I usually download the new versions as soon as it comes out, but I held off on this one being I read that the 11 version was buggy.
11 is arguably no more buggy that Windows 10. The issue is that a lot of stuff from Windows 10 hasn't made its way back into Windows 11 (or won't).

Absent significant advantages, and plus all of the new opportunities for advertising and tracking, many are staying well away from Windows 11.

My theory is that if your computer didn't come with it pre-installed, don't go there. Others will differ.

I like Windows 11 over Windows 10. When It came out, I didn't have any computer that could run it. But those were all computers that were at least a decade old. I have since bought new laptops for me and my wife, and have replaced two desktop tower systems with tiny little mini systems from Beelink. We have adapted to and now love the features in Win 11. I still have one old laptop running Windows 10 for a 24/7 monitoring application, but only because it is not compatible with WIn11.

I still have one old laptop running Windows 10 for a 24/7 monitoring application, but only because it is not compatible with WIn11.
Given what little you gain with Windows 11, would these kinds of incompatibilities be worth it for households with only one or two computers?

Windows 11 is by no means a quantum leap in technology that should be experiencing these kinds of problems. I think of Windows 11 as being very much like Windows 8 where the next step (Windows 10) ended up being much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8. Something similar happened with Windows Me and Windows Server 2012.

• Angry
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Every single OS there is, is buggy.
Windows 11 has been out for about 2 1/2 years. I mean, seriously

• Angry
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
The incompatibilities that I spoke of are the hardware incompatibilities that keep the old laptop from being able to run Windows 11. I like the small changes to the user interface in Windows 11, but it is not difficult to go back and forth, and if it it really bothers you, you can configure Windows 11 to look like Windows 10. As I replaced my ancient systems one by one over 18 months, I was constantly switching back and forth between 10 and 11. My wife is not technically oriented. She adapted quite nicely from the Windows 10 laptop to the Windows 11 laptop, after I explained some tof the differences. The main reason for migrating to Windows 11 is that Microsoft is going to drop support for Windows 10 in a few years. I would move to Windows 11 on any computer that has the necessary hardware.

The main reason for migrating to Windows 11 is that Microsoft is going to drop support for Windows 10 in a few years.
That's not a huge reason to upgrade now -- especially as Windows 11 becomes more and more like Windows 10 if it had been finished.

Recent reports have suggested that Microsoft may offer extended Windows 10 support to individuals beyond the current 2025 cutoff rather than limiting it to enterprise customers.

I'm not telling anyone what they should do. I just decided that as I was upgrading our ancient laptops and replacing the desktops I had scrounged as they were discarded by others, to order the new computers with Win 11. I am happy with that choice, and would upgrade the one laptop if I could.

Reactions: HipKat
The incompatibilities that I spoke of are the hardware incompatibilities that keep the old laptop from being able to run Windows 11.
Where does Microsoft, who has a long and storied history of radically underestimating the practical system requirements for Windows, get off telling us that machines that run Windows 11 just fine aren't allowed to?

Let the user decide when their old hardware is no longer good enough!

I'm not telling anyone what they should do. I just decided that as I was upgrading our ancient laptops and replacing the desktops I had scrounged as they were discarded by others, to order the new computers with Win 11. I am happy with that choice, and would upgrade the one laptop if I could.
I used the approach on this website How to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware - Pureinfotech to install Win11 23H2 on my unsupported desktop and laptop.

Also, they have moved quite far from where they were in the past., The integration of 3 different Linux distros, Ubuntu - which is the most popular distro, Kali - which is huge for people that use Kali is a solid move on their part.

I rarely use Windows, but I keep it updated on my Laptop and a Windows drive on my Desktop and the OS is working better than ever in the past. I get better info, smoother running programs and far fewer issues than I used on older versions

Reactions: TRG and navychop
I use my laptop mainly for surfing the web, browsing forums, trip planning for trips in my RV and paying my bills. Will any of these items change any? I do know I will wait until after I do my taxes before I change. I don't want to loose any of my desktop icons.

I use my laptop mainly for surfing the web, browsing forums, trip planning for trips in my RV and paying my bills. Will any of these items change any? I do know I will wait until after I do my taxes before I change. I don't want to loose any of my desktop icons.
None of that will change. The update from Win 10 to Win 11 wasn't like a complete make-over. Sure there are GUI changes, some, but mostly, it's the guts that got the most attention.