Adios versus!!

It was an unfortunate name from the beginning. For a cable station. For a Pearl Jam album. For anything. Versus. Versus what?
Hey! Vs. is one for my favorite Pearl Jam albums. It's got Leash, Blood, Animal, Elderly Woman...

This writer is obviously a hack!
rant2.gif
rant2.gif
rant2.gif
rant2.gif
rant2.gif
rant2.gif
rant2.gif
rant2.gif

Maybe a name change will do the channel good. Then again they could have the same crap on there.

The NHL is not crap!!!!!!!
You know, I saw my first televised hockey game at 21, which was 1993. I got into it a little during the 90s. We got Penguin and Red Wings games for free the year I lived in Ohio. In the seasons before the lockout, I was getting into it more and more. I bought an ExpressVu in 2004, and hockey was one of the reasons why. Since the lockout, my level of interest has just been zero. I cancelled my ExpressVu subscription in 2008, and when I do flip through and see a game, my first thought is how inferior the coverage is to the CBC/TSN/Rogers SportsNet.

The Tour de France, on the other hand, I have been watching religiously since 2001. I was considering switching to Dish if Versus wasn't going to be back on DirecTV in time for it last year.

I meant other than the NHL of course. :D
They also show some MMA (WEC), but it's mostly all repeated material and their fishing lineup is only so-so. Believe it or not their programming lineup has gotten a lot stronger the past couple years, but they still have a long way to go to compete with the major sports networks.

So what are they going to call this new channel? Following in the spirit of NBC's 1978 "NB See Us" campaign, perhaps their marketing department will come up with something equally silly...

Looks like maybe they are trying to give a little competition to espn there really have been no other options to a espn since maybe the old SI/CNN channel and I don't remember to much of that chanel

My guess is that the renaming will be July 1. or on the first day of the next NHL season. They will not change the name during the playoffs.

My guess is some varriant like NBC Sports Channel, NBC Sports Network, or NBC Sportsnet. "SNBC" is already take by Shop NBC, and is already confusable with MSNBC. However with Microsoft no longer a partner in the news/comment channel, and Comcast seemingly eager to distance itself from the past excesses of that crew, we might see NBC Sports Channel (Versus), NBC News Channel (MSNBC), NBC Business Channel (CNBC, which loses access to WSJ material next year to Fox Business Channel), and maybe even NBC Golf Channel, and NBC Entertainment Channel (USA).

I think that the new management is serious about competing with ESPN. A sports news played more seriously and with less basketball than SportsCenter, and serious competition for rights to other events rights, would go a long way.

I'm going with something more traditional like NBC Sports Network.
And scrap the Versus name all together ?
How will we find the NHL Playoffs NEXT year, we finally found them on some channel named "the Outdoor channel, then Versus, now it's gonna be something different again by next year.....

Will this NEW channel require we have an addl. package to see it, if so, I'm OUT.

If they merge it into Universal Sports maybe they'll add sports like figure skating and international hockey to the renamed network.

If they merge it into Universal Sports maybe they'll add sports like figure skating and international hockey to the renamed network.

Your really expecting an awful lot from a network that only knows how to use 1 channel when they have 3-4 games on at the same time.

Then again, once the NHL Playoffs is over, VS viewing will drop off to the typical rating of under 1%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)