Advantages of the 5 LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimmiepens

Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Are there any advantages of having a 5 LNB dish vs a 3 LNB and a HD antenna? I live close enough to Atlanta that I pick up all of the HD locals and then some on the antenna. Just wondering if there are any other channels that I am not receiving because I cant pick up on the Ka band...

Not until you (your zip) need mpeg4 HD locals will this be an issue for you, the advantage lies with the receivers also (the H20 and HR20), which require the AT9 to fully function (get all channels), so if you got the AT9 Dish now, and do not have a H(R)20, you won't see any more than what you get now, as you need both.

Last edited:
Difference?

The Atlanta market was one of the first to get HD locals through Direct...is there a difference between mpeg4 HD and what I can receive through my HD antenna?

Assuming you are happy with the reception you have now, what you have through your OTA is most likely superior (quality-wise), quantity wise D* might have more local channels (or not), also depending on your setup, you cannot diplex OTA through an AT9 setup, so if you diplex now, you'll have to run a new line(s) for the OTA.

OH, and welcome to Satguys. :)

Last edited:
I have 2 H20s, AT9, and a nice OTA. Am i missing out on some channels or capabilities of the H20?

jimmiepens said:
I have 2 H20s, AT9, and a nice OTA. Am i missing out on some channels or capabilities of the H20?

If you already have the AT9 and H20, you should be getting full use of it, if that is what you mean, no, you're not, as youhave the required setup.

jimmiepens said:
Sorry that would be no AT9...I have the 3 lnb dish...

Well, you are missing the ability to get locals in HD (mpeg4, if they are on a sat not used by the Phase3) and the use of both the Ka and Ku bands, and if you know the mpeg4 locals are avail in your area, and do not mind running a coax for your OTA if you diplex now (assuming you'll still want the OTA if you get the AT9), then you may want the AT9, if nothing but for future-proofness.

Also if you DO decide you want the AT9, I would wait until the slimline version came out.

Since I have gotten my AT9, but signal loss is nearlly non-existant now.
Prior with the Phase III, I would get a 1 or 2 minute loss when we had a good amount of rain.

Now, we can have an absolute downpour and I don't miss a beat with the signal.

ebonovic said:
Since I have gotten my AT9, but signal loss is nearlly non-existant now.
Prior with the Phase III, I would get a 1 or 2 minute loss when we had a good amount of rain.

Now, we can have an absolute downpour and I don't miss a beat with the signal.

I would guess thats because of the larger over all reflecor and it has been properly peaked.
It makes quite a difference when it's done right.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I would guess thats because of the larger over all reflecor and it has been properly peaked.
It makes quite a difference when it's done right.

Jimbo

Yea, good point, when I went from my single LNB to a triple, I saw an increase in signals, but it was hard to determine if it was because of the dish, or because the guy who installed the single just did not peak it well enough. (looking back now, I realize it was both, mainly the latter, because the first guy was a Hatian in his own van, the second guys (they sent 2) where nice and dressed in D* attire, painted D* van, all pro.).

The AT9 + H20 is required for reception of Turner South HD and Fox Sports South HD.

Beavis said:
The AT9 + H20 is required for reception of Turner South HD and Fox Sports South HD.

Required in the sense, that the RSN-HD are being broadcasted on MPEG-4 and the H20 is the only one that is MPEG-4 ready, and the AT9 is the only one that can see the sats that they are being broadcasted on.

You also need to be in that RSN's region for the channel to appear in your guide and be able to tune it in.

Beavis said:
The RSN HD spotbeam is the same as the local HD spotbeam, AFAIK.
The beam itself has to cover a larger area, or the regular local spotbeams must overlap markets as RSNs cover more than just one market.

For example, FSNBA covers San Francisco, Sacramento, Reno, Fresno, and I think a few others, and each of those locations have their own local HD channels, or will eventually.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts