Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is a storefront for rent that I have looked at recently that when the LL walked me through to show me the place I may rent out he mentioned he had about 7 old C or K band satellite dishes in the basement I could take so he didn't have to get them hauled off.... I didn't know anyone would want these things so I said "no thanks"

WHere are you?`If within driving distance, NoDoubt and I would be in a race --- in this snow?--- to get over to get them!
POP :D;):rolleyes:

No one was home ware the birdview was so I stoped in at the neigbors house hoping to get contact info. When I told him that I wanted satellite dishs he said I have two Huges net dishes that you can have. Sweet.:up

Wow that guy must have got real upset with the upload speed of his internet providers. super find!

Well all I had was my blackjack's camera. Going to meetings around the state and didn't think about seeing dishes, so didn't take a camera with me and the photos are not the greatest.

The first is a 10' Channelmaster at a hotel in Okmulgee, OK. I was in a hurry, but I will be going back tomorrow or Wednesday because in addition to this there was a 1 or 1.2 meter dish on a non penetrating mount sitting next to a junk yard, I saw as I was leaving town, late for a meeting or I would have turned around for it.

The second is a perforated birdview out between Shawnee and Tecumseh, OK

The third was still in use outside the Pottawatomie County Health Dept and appeared to be fairly new.

The last was by an old hotel along Interstate 40 near Earlsboro, OK

Attachments

• PIC-0006.jpg
    PIC-0006.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 299
  • PIC-0003.jpg
    PIC-0003.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 278
  • PIC-0004.jpg
    PIC-0004.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 244
  • PIC-0005.jpg
    PIC-0005.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 267
That fence and power poles in the 2nd picture must've been thru some of the tornado alley winds. Or else you were really flying as you took it! LOL

I would stay away from the 4th one the mesh is missing.
the fence is leaning too so im guessing ternador

That fence and power poles in the 2nd picture must've been thru some of the tornado alley winds. Or else you were really flying as you took it! LOL

Both:D

A lot of wooden utility poles look like that after a couple of years in Tornado Alley. Some of my clients are making a move to metal poles now, but at $1000 for a wooden pole and $4500 for a metal, it will take time.

The pole was leaning, the fence I wasn't paying attention to. I grew up down in that area and had an hour to waste and was running around checking out the places I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years. So I might have been exceeding the speed limit ever so slightly!:eek:

The fourth one I just stopped for the heck of it. I saw it from the highway so I swung by on my way back. If I hadn't of wasted time there, I probably could of stopped and inquired about the 1 meter.

I've had my eye on a few for the past little while. I have a 10 footer that's going up in the spring (perhaps temporarily sooner if I can swing it). There's a spun aluminum one I've been looking at for years I think is about 8' but the last spun alum one I had wasn't all that great for C-Band. Perhaps I'll set it up for Ku if I can get my hands on it.
Every so often I'll spot one then forget about it. My plan is to have at least one motorized C-band and one motorized Ku by the fall of this year. Also a few fixed ones........well, probably as many as I can get my hands on! But I want to go at it heavily this year and get rid of all pizza pan dishes.

found a 10ft prodin close to me going to find out what it will take to get it is that a good dish

found this 10 ft prodelin will see about getting real soon

Attachments

• 3md3o13lf1f312c1378cv9abc816592da1bf6.jpg
    3md3o13lf1f312c1378cv9abc816592da1bf6.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 3na3ob3p51f81g11478cv34a75959898e1545.jpg
    3na3ob3p51f81g11478cv34a75959898e1545.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 227
Update on the perforated birdview that I posted earlier. The owner called me this morning and It turns out that she has two of these dishs one is at another place of hers and that she wants $300.00 for both of Them. What do you guys think? :confused:

did you talk about what kind of shape they are in , if they have had the reed switch conversion added & the c & ku upgrade. plus if the motor is working on both. they would probably be worth that. i would probably go for it :) are they both perfs ?

did you ever get rid of the unusual birdview ?

gabshere What I do know is that the one I have took pics of is in good shape except for all the mold growing on it .You can't see to good in the pics but it has already had the scalar ring milled out for a co-rotor on it. As for the other one all she said was that it is just like the other one and that she has the recevivers for it and that it is a dual receiver system. Yes I still have the offset birdview dish.

... she wants $300.00 for both of Them. What do you guys think? :confused:
That reed & 24-magnet conversion kit was $70 or $80, and not currently available.
The 8-magnet conversion is garbage, and worth nothing.

I'd look at how high they are mounted.
If way up in the air and a pain, then that's a big job.

Then, there's a matter of access.
I think Linuxman passed on one, which was harder to drive up to.
I'm looking at one in a small back yard with a high fence. (see my pix)
Pretty sure the dish was there first.
If the fence doesn't have a gate in it, I may be up $&|+ creek.

Other mods and receivers may be worth quite a bit to ya.
I'm not anxious for a 4DTV receiver.
If I had to pay to get a dish that had an actual 4D box, and I knew I could sell it, that would be a factor.

I thought you were going to put your side-saddle Birdview into service.
I've been waiting for the thread with all the inside scoop! - :up
Now here you are considering the purchase of not one, but two!
After all, you know the old saying, "A Bird in the hand . . . " - :D

That reed & 24-magnet conversion kit was $70 or $80, and not currently available.
The 8-magnet conversion is garbage, and worth nothing.

I would have to repectfully disagree One with out the conversion is garbage. The 8-magnet conversion is better than nothing.:)

I thought you were going to put your side-saddle Birdview into service.
I've been waiting for the thread with all the inside scoop! - :up
Now here you are considering the purchase of not one, but two!
After all, you know the old saying, "A Bird in the hand . . . " - :D

One word I am lazy.I can guarantee that if I had the mounting pole for that dish and if it had the Reed & feedhorn conversions It whould already be in the ground.

Status
Please reply by conversation.