Adventures In Dish Hunting 2012

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beavs2112

Addicted to Legal FTA
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
London Ontario Canada
Was out hunting today in some sunny weather. Pic 1 is a dish farm right next to a trailer park. Pics 2,3,4 are of a 10 foot Prodelin I spotted in 2010. The owners still don't want to let it go. So I went about 30 miles further to Grand Bend Ontario Canada and spotted the dish in pics 5,6,7. I think it is a 10 foot. The black plastic cover in the center said Channel Master. Since I want to plant a dish for the Atlantic birds I inquired of the owner. He's willing to part with it so now I just have to plan how to get it home.

Attachments

• Photo119.jpg
    Photo119.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 449
  • Photo120.jpg
    Photo120.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 429
  • Photo121.jpg
    Photo121.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 491
  • Photo125.jpg
    Photo125.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Photo126.jpg
    Photo126.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 462
  • Photo127.jpg
    Photo127.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 432
  • Port Franks Prodelin.jpg
    Port Franks Prodelin.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 448
beavs,
good looking pics, couldn't help but wander what happen to snow in Canada this time of the year?

Nice bunch of pics. I think getting it down will be more work than getting it home.

LOL :) Ain't that the truth. Also I have'nt thought too much about how to get it on top of the pole once I do get it home My mesh dish I did by myself but that's not an option with these heavy fiberglass units.

Shortly after waking up this morning a possible solution came to me : SCAFFOLDING. Put some up beside the house. Loosen and swing the dish over so its accessible and disassemble in sections. Then lower the sections,mount etc. down with a winch of some sort.

I BLEW IT BIG TIME!!!... :facepalm

I just saw in the local paper that YESTERDAY a auction was held at the closed WSEE TV studio in nearby Erie PA. I spoke to someone last month about the dishes and they said to contact them in the spring. Well I guess judging by the recent weather it looks like spring. The listing does say various satellite dishes and there were a bunch up there! I usually watch the auction listings but I guess I better check online because auctioneers list in different papers and I do not get everything. There was also some electronic goodies along with equipment racks and whatever they did not take to their new location. I gotta go. :cry:

Ive seen a couple dishes that are aiming too low like the one in picture 2 of beavs2112 post earlier. Is the polar mount broken? If my dish were to flop forward like that it wud be bbrokkkee. Are the dishes i see like that salvageable if i dont have a replacement polar mount for it?

josh, could just be that from their location, and the satellite they're aiming at requires a low look-angle. Even from down south here, in the southeast, whenever I aim my c-band over to 137W, it looks almost like its that low. If part of the mount broke, I think it'd probably be flopped over a lot lower than that!

I hesitated but I got ahold of the auctioneer and went to the closed TV studio. Most of the component racks went to the scrap yard but if I would of got there this morning I probably could of saved one or two. One scrapper bought most of the dishes which and most are fiberglass. There was a 10 foot spun aluminum which he already had messed up that I did not try to identify. I did grab a 1.2M Channel Master and he gave me a chance on a couple of fiberglass commercial 12 footers. Most of the dishes are large commercial units with huge mounts and not motorized. The station is saving a 12 footer with a H2H commecial mover with chain drive that I would love to have if they change their mind! I will go back tomorrow and save the 8 foot Prodelin before it is too late!

joshrr that dish is "flopped over" where the actuator arm has extended too far past the limits. It's hard to see in pic # 3 but the actuator is parallel with the back of the dish. The owners just haven't retracted the arm.

I hesitated but I got ahold of the auctioneer and went to the closed TV studio. Most of the component racks went to the scrap yard but if I would of got there this morning I probably could of saved one or two. One scrapper bought most of the dishes which and most are fiberglass. There was a 10 foot spun aluminum which he already had messed up that I did not try to identify. I did grab a 1.2M Channel Master and he gave me a chance on a couple of fiberglass commercial 12 footers. Most of the dishes are large commercial units with huge mounts and not motorized. The station is saving a 12 footer with a H2H commecial mover with chain drive that I would love to have if they change their mind! I will go back tomorrow and save the 8 foot Prodelin before it is too late!

Glad ya got there in time for somethin at least :)

saw some at a local bar thats closed. they're 10 foot star trak/unimesh

Attachments

• Dundas@Ashland1.jpg
    Dundas@Ashland1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Dundas@Ashland2.jpg
    Dundas@Ashland2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Dundas@Ashland3.jpg
    Dundas@Ashland3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 312
  • Dundas@Ashland4.jpg
    Dundas@Ashland4.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 291
Glad ya got there in time for somethin at least :)

Yeah! I did get the 8' Prodelin home today! I also grabbed the NPRM that the 1.2M Channel Master was mounted on. A handful of commercial grade Norsat LNBs both Ku and C band made it into my truck from the scrapped dishes. I also snagged a C band feedhorn and a Ku feedhorn as well. Those two 12 foot fiber-monsters are still out there! :eek:

New Score 10 Footer

Scored this 10 foot Channel Master, nice and straight, great condition for $75 with an extra mount, 4 actuators, couple of C feedhorns, Corotor II, two C band LNBs (old), an Eagle Aspen Ku LNB, 30 feet of ribbon cable, Uniden UST4600 Receiver and a Motorola digital sidecar. Won't be able to install the BUD until Spring. The car did not take flight during transport.

Picking up the Starband 75E CM for $10 tomorrow.

Now if only I could find a 4 footer near Syracuse.

Photo0164.jpgPhoto0167.jpgdish.jpg

Two for One

Here is a pair of 10 footers that I spotted in Auburn NY at a closed bar that is for sale. Some missing mesh panels, but it is a two for one. If you want the contact info PM me.

Photo0176.jpg

Hay I say that 75e cm dish on Craigslist, well at someone who used that photo. I asked the seller to measure it BUT no reply. I think it is 75cm (30 in) and I have a few of them. Now comes planting time. Good luck with your dishes.

I picked up an 8' unimesh with polar mount and motor, two 4' fixed (channel master and Prodelin), and a NPRM for $10

The Uni has some bent panels, so I'll probably use the polar mount to move one of the 4 footers for a super Ku dish!

went out again today and saw this 10 foot Channel Master SMC dish. I enquired and they'll let me have it for an even trade of labour to remove it. Since it's only 10 minutes from the other Channel Master SMC I'm getting I'll try and do both on one day. The second one is an older version SMC without the ribbing/cross bracing on the backside. I'll use it for an Atlantic area dish for those eastern circular sats.

Attachments

• Photo130.jpg
    Photo130.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Photo132.jpg
    Photo132.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 273
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)