Advice for Dish owned equipment dream set up?

You came to the right place! I have exactly the set-up you describe. I would be happy to help you get this set up to your satisfaction. You can send me a private message if you would be interested in buying my old purchased ViP222k, or if you have any other questions.

For starters, I can tell you that you may need to deactivate your Hopper 3, at least temporarily, in order to get Dish to activate the ViP222k on your account. After you get your ViP receivers added to the account, you can log into your mydish account at any time to activate and deactivate any combination of these receivers you want, as long as your account is set up as a Dish Outdoor account.

The reason why I did it before was that I ran into a glitch that comes with having a ViP222k active as the main receiver and also having Hopper or Wally equipment active at the same time. This combination of equipment can automatically deactivate DVR functionality on any active Hoppers (regardless of which model) or Wally receivers. (Deactivated Hoppers and Wally still work for playing existing recordings, though.) There is a work-around for this (calling a special Dish support phone number to get Hopper DVR functionality re-enabled) but I found that to be too much of a hassle, considering how often I was switching out which receiver I was using at that time. However, with a ViP211k, DVR functionality remained enabled, even with the ViP222k active, and with Hopper/Wally DVR functions disabled.
Pattykay,

Thank you very much for all your responses on here. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: pattykay
I have 3 hoppers with sling a vip222k,one 211k and one wally on my RV account..I started the account through dishformyrv,because dish didn't want to activate the 222k and the 211 together...dishformyrv activated them with no problems..Then I added the rest of the receivers through dish online chat.Each time I activate my hoppers I would get the dvr function available after about 24hr..Before we moved I would use the 3 hoppers so I had 3 dishanywhere apps on 3 tv's giving me 6 tv's with 3 receivers..Our new home has slow internet so I'm back to using the vip receivers
Tvland1,

Thank you very much for this detailed response back to me. I really appreciate it.

What's interesting is I have a co -worker that is a longtime dish customer and her elderly parents like some of the international packages. I guess Dish asked/told her she needed to swap out her receivers for a Hopper and Joeys because some of the legacy receivers would not be able to pick up those channels anymore. She is not very tech savy, so I don't know if she was running 222K and 211's, 722K, or even 322 or 311's if she had an old set up. They did the swap out for her and I wish I asked her what equipment she was running.
It's true. Some of those channels are going to be streaming. We've been doing a lot of VIP to Hopper upgrades so they can still receive them

It's true. Some of those channels are going to be streaming. We've been doing a lot of VIP to Hopper upgrades so they can still receive them
Out of curiosity, how many of these international upgrades have you been to where the person did not have internet at home, making the Hopper upgrade useless? Have you had people cancel or go out and get broadband hooked up over it?

Out of curiosity, how many of these international upgrades have you been to where the person did not have internet at home, making the Hopper upgrade useless? Have you had people cancel or go out and get broadband hooked up over it?
I haven't had any but I'm sure some of my coworkers have but I've not many updates, either

Dish is moving many international channels to streaming, so if you have a VIP receiver you will loose those channels - thus the upgrade to a Hopper/Sling or H3.
To clarify, any model of Hopper (Hopper 1, HWS, Hopper 3, Hopper Duo) or Wally can receive these streaming channels. The plus side is that if the entire international package has been moved to streaming, then that subscriber no longer needs the 118 satellite, either. So, that may allow for some simpler installations (using the standard Western Arc or Eastern Arc LNB without needing a multi-dish switch, for instance) when doing these upgrades.

Dish has also been adding an entire suite of Spanish-language streaming channels (Vix TV) absolutely free to all Dish subscribers with compatible internet-connected receivers. These channels appear in the guide on collapsible channel 870. I have been tracking these weekly additions (usually seven new channels per week) in the following thread:

I have a few follow up questions for the community. So right now I have my DPH42 with line 1 going to my Hopper 3 and line 2 to is going to my VIP211K with an EHD. Before I was able to use my Holland Splitter off of line 2 to feed both of my Wally's before I removed them from the mix and just use the VIP211K now. Are you able to do that with VIP 211K's and a splitter? I would prefer not using the coax out of the 211K because that is only SD? I know I could add a DPP44 before the DPH42 to get another 211K running, but just wanted to see if the splitter would work without adding the DPP44.
I was just curious if you can run a 211K and a 211Z off a splitter together since they are both single tuner VIP receivers?
I have seen a lot of chatter on here over the past few years about if you can or can't use an EHD on a VIP222K? I had chatted with a Dish rep and they said you could, but I have seen numerous old posts on here saying you can't. For me the 222K seems like a really cool receiver with 2 tuners for satellite and with adding the MT2 getting OTA. The EHD is a big deal for me because I like to record and be able to pause live tv. It seems like the 222k is like the 722K without the DVR fees?
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

I have a few follow up questions for the community. So right now I have my DPH42 with line 1 going to my Hopper 3 and line 2 to is going to my VIP211K with an EHD. Before I was able to use my Holland Splitter off of line 2 to feed both of my Wally's before I removed them from the mix and just use the VIP211K now. Are you able to do that with VIP 211K's and a splitter? I would prefer not using the coax out of the 211K because that is only SD? I know I could add a DPP44 before the DPH42 to get another 211K running, but just wanted to see if the splitter would work without adding the DPP44.
I was just curious if you can run a 211K and a 211Z off a splitter together since they are both single tuner VIP receivers?
I have seen a lot of chatter on here over the past few years about if you can or can't use an EHD on a VIP222K? I had chatted with a Dish rep and they said you could, but I have seen numerous old posts on here saying you can't. For me the 222K seems like a really cool receiver with 2 tuners for satellite and with adding the MT2 getting OTA. The EHD is a big deal for me because I like to record and be able to pause live tv. It seems like the 222k is like the 722K without the DVR fees?
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.
No the external hdd won’t work, also do you still have/ use the Wally’s?

If you are talking about the splitter that splits out high and low bandstacked bands to feed to a dual tuner receiver, then no, I don't think that works. You can always try and see if it does now!

I did learn of a gnarly way of feeding two 211's and 1 dual tuner receiver (such as the 222) via only 2 lines down from a DPP LNB. You hook two splitters on, one for each line from the LNB. Then you feed the lower band output of each splitter to the 211's, and both higher bands to the 222.
I have seen a lot of chatter on here over the past few years about if you can or can't use an EHD on a VIP222K?
I never had a 222, but from everything I've read here, you cannot add an EHD to a 222.
It seems like the 222k is like the 722K without the DVR fees?
Yup.

No the external hdd won’t work, also do you still have/ use the Wally’s?
I do still have them. I called Dish and had them turned off. I plan on keeping them in case I ever set up the DPP44 along with my DPH42 so I can run them at the same time or in case Dish ever stops supporting the VIP211K.

Reactions: pattykay
If you are talking about the splitter that splits out high and low bandstacked bands to feed to a dual tuner receiver, then no, I don't think that works. You can always try and see if it does now!

I did learn of a gnarly way of feeding two 211's and 1 dual tuner receiver (such as the 222) via only 2 lines down from a DPP LNB. You hook two splitters on, one for each line from the LNB. Then you feed the lower band output of each splitter to the 211's, and both higher bands to the 222.

I never had a 222, but from everything I've read here, you cannot add an EHD to a 222.

Yup.
The Holland Splitter I was using for my 2 Wally's I think only supports single tuners? I actually don't own a 211z yet, I saw Dish Outdoors had them on sale this week for $50. Running a 211K and 211z together is a curiosity for me.

It seems like the 222k is like the 722K without the DVR fees?
Yes, and also without the DVR functionality. In fact, when Dish ran out of 222k's, they started sending out neutered 722k's as replacements (whenever someone who already had a 322, a 222, or a 222k needed a replacement) and simply rebranded those 722k's as 222k's. The question is whether those DVR-disabled "222k" (722k) receivers can ever have the DVR re-enabled. In other words, did Dish remove the internal hard drive, and if so, would installing a compatible 500GB hard drive restore DVR functionality, including the ability to add external hard drives? If so, and if Dish could actually activate and authorize such a receiver, I assume that Dish would then start charging the DVR fee just like any other 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts