Advice for first Projector

sneader

Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Hi guys. Due to a remodel at our house, we now have a room that will be used for "home theatre". I have an HDMI cable run to the ceiling (about 15 feet away from the future wall that will be used for the screen) as well as a "smurf tube" that I can use to pull anything else I might need. And a power outlet, of course.

This will be used for our family to watch occasional movies. We are not home theater experts (no Blu-Ray players in our house yet, and only one 47-inch HDTV), so this does not have to be movie theater quality.

I am cringing at the thought of spending $2k on a projector, but if I'd just get junk spending less, then so be it.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc... please!!

- Scott

I started out with a X1 which was supposed to be a business projector but ended up being a phenomenon for the pre HD world (and it delivered HD very well also)I've been with the Mitsubishi line since with 2 - 720p FPTV's and a 1080p HC3800, the successor to that the HC4000 would rock as would the 720p's available (just watched a movie from a 720p Mits HC1500 in my HT room)there are several brands that rock. Optima, Mitsubishi off the top of my head. :) 720p rocks and you can do a diy screen for not that much that helps for the costs...

$1k these days buys you a competent 1080p projector from Mitsubishi, Epson or Optima. In addition to the ones Dfergie mentioned, you should add the Epson 8350 which is sellng just above $1k these days. I own the Epson and like it a lot.

You probably should also consider it time to add a BluRay player. It does make a difference at these sizes. I saw competent players at Costco yesterday in the $70 range, and disc prices are now pushing the $10 point for catalog titles. Best Buy now has a $7.99 bin, and I'm sure you could find similar items at other stores.

There is a lot of good DIY screen information over at AVS Forum. The popular choices seem to be painting a screen wall, laminate and blackout cloth stretched over a frame. If you don't want to work that hard, commercial frames are available at reasonable prices from Jamestown Screens, the Elite Screens Sableframe line and the Visual Apex screen. I have the Elite Sableframe 120" and am quite happy with it.

I highly recommend Epson 8350. The picture quality is outstanding, installation is easy and the price is hard to match.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)