Advice needed on OTA-HD tuner/projector setup

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I currently have Dish Network HD, but we are looking to cancel, and go with just our OTA antenna programming. I'm trying to figure out just what I need to buy for my setup. I already have my OTA antenna run to the location(currently hooked up to sat. receiver). My projector is 1080p with HDMI and component inputs. What type of OTA-HD tuner do you recommend for my 106" diagonal screen? Are there any with HDMI inputs? I also have hooked up a Panasonic BD60 Blu-ray player, and Toshiba HD-A2 player. I also want to replace the Pan. BD60 soon with a Blu-ray player with Netflix streaming. What would the OTA-HD tuner hook up to and how? Thanks.

Ok you want an answer, any OTA HDTV tuner can be connected. You are about a year late in looking for what you want. The market was hot last summer as the digital conversion happened. You cannot use a CONVERTER BOX for HDTV it must be designed for HDTV. Component connections are going to be more common than HDMI and many older tuners are going to offer DVI and component. Samsung will probably be the most proflic of standalone HDTV tuners. More common maybe units with DVD and VCR and an ATSC tuner. Little "new" product will be under $150 so you need to decide what your needs desires are.

Thanks boba. An answer is always nice. I know any OTA-HDTV tuner can be connected, but I was asking for any recommendations. One recommended is the Centronics ZAT502-HD. Does anyone own one they would recommend? Thanks.

On my 50" Toshiba I have a DISH 811 connected for OTA it has DVI & component outputs. On the same TV I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V DVD upconversion with VHS and ATSC tuner. On a 25" HDTV set I have a EZNEO TR100 HDTV tuner these suit my needs but may not work for you.

From what little we know of your needs I would shop eBay for a series 3 TiVo but it won't be cheap at least $200 and probably more plus $13/mo. unless you can find a LIFETIME subscription.

How about the DTVPAL DVR?

Can record 2 HD or SD channels at the same time and watch a prerecorded one :)

I have one and it works great

The DTVPAL is too expensive, and I really don't need a DVR. I just want a HD-OTA tuner. I have one on my list, but that's it. The Centronics ZAT502-HD. Does anyone own an HD-OTA tuner they would recommend? Thanks.

I thought that as long as you left your dish receiver connected to the dish's LNBs the OTA tuner would still work when you have canceled your subscription. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not. If you own the receiver and it is true you will have your problem solved with no extra cost to you.

QCK
It depends on the receiver. Since most newer receivers are lease you have to return them. But the DVR units (the newer ones) they shut everything off

I know my 811 works fine with OTA. The 921 & 942 will too.

I lease two 211's, so I assume they'll pick those up when I cancel. And the 1000 dish they installed when they made me switch to the 211's. I don't think they charged me for the dish, so I assume they'll be taking that too. Anyway, I ordered the Centronics ZAT502-HD OTA tuner last night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)