Advice needed: Should I upgrade to Whole Home DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sparkhill

Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Reno, NV
I am debating whether or not to jump in on the $99 Whole Home DVR upgrade.

I have a new HR24 arriving today, five HR22-100's, two H20-700's, and one D11-500. My main system is non-SWM, fed off the same dish using a Zinwell 6x8 switch and will consist of the HR24, four HR22's, and one H20. I am using an ethernet network to run MRV in unsupported mode and to supply internet connectivity. Most of my coax drops have two RG6 cables so I don't really need SWM for the DVR's. Adding the new HR24, I will need to purchase another 6x8 switch but they are pretty cheap and certainly something I can self-install.

My question is, "Do you think it would be worthwhile to have DirecTV install the Whole Home DVR service to upgrade to SWM, DECA, and get one or both of my H20's upgraded?" My concern is that I really only need to upgrade one H20 and add a switch; with everything working perfectly now, I am a bit worried about a less competent installer screwing things up. I know it would D*'s issue to get things up and running but my time is worth something and I worry that this might not be a single visit install.

Finally, does the Whole Home DVR upgrade cover upgrades to my SD D11 receiver? Thanks.

EDIT: I can run ethernet and a phone line to about half of my receivers. The other half can have either phone or ethernet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.