Advice on best possible setup

SkyScanner81

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
Crossville, Tennessee
Ok I need advice for the best possible setup. I have a geosatpro hd receiver, but if there is a newer better one I may go that route as well. I am interested in getting the most feeds possible and I have a clear sky all the way to the east and want to get a dish that will get me as far east as possible and pull in the most feeds.

I want ro buy a dish and motor, i guess any recommendations for a 1.2 to 1.4 meter ku motorized setup? Thanks for any help I can get!

I’m guessing a Stab HH 120 and a Geosat 1.2m setup would be pretty tight. I don’t have enough interest in Ku to plunk down that kind of cash. I suppose with a salvaged (free!) 1.2m commercial dish and a home brew polar mount with an actuator would be cool too. I remember seeing a thread here with a homemade polar mounted 1.2m dish.

I did manage to get a BUD up without too much $$$. Dish was free, but I had to grab an LNBF, hardware, concrete, mast, and do a bit of welding……

Very tough to find an HH120 motor or any 1.2m dish motor. Stab ceased operation so you would have to find used. I think a 1.2m dish such as the Geosatpro is better to use rather than a 1m or 39" dish. But you may need to settle for the smaller dish so you can buy a motor suited for it (Stab HH90). A 1.2m dish is expensive to ship so if you can't physically pick it up that may be a consideration too for getting a 1m or smaller dish.

I believe the best receiver is an Edision Mio+. But you must be dedicated to learn how to use it. If you're not prepared to put in the hours to learn it, it's better to get an easier-to-use receiver.

If you have a good view to the east, you can try for 15W or 22W satellites. There are satellites to view in the east. But on Ku, the best collection of things to watch is between 87W and 125W.

Very tough to find an HH120 motor or any 1.2m dish motor. Stab ceased operation so you would have to find used. I think a 1.2m dish such as the Geosatpro is better to use rather than a 1m or 39" dish. But you may need to settle for the smaller dish so you can buy a motor suited for it (Stab HH90). A 1.2m dish is expensive to ship so if you can't physically pick it up that may be a consideration too for getting a 1m or smaller dish.
It's possible to retrofit a 1.2m off-set dish (or any size actually) to a polar mount, and then use a standard dish mover device to control it. Most people that do this, are using heavy 1.2m fiberglass dishes, which make more sense to use on a polar mount than even a HH120 due to weight and wind load.

It's possible to retrofit a 1.2m off-set dish (or any size actually) to a polar mount, and then use a standard dish mover device to control it. Most people that do this, are using heavy 1.2m fiberglass dishes, which make more sense to use on a polar mount than even a HH120 due to weight and wind load.
That's what I did... Old, heavy 1.2 meter fiberglass dish, new old-stock Orbitron polar mount, VonWeise 24" actuator, some angle iron, and a bit of creativity! I can cover the arc from 11W to 123W (I could probably squeeze a couple more degrees but tree obstacles make it not worth the trouble... I think I could actually see a Ku beacon on 8W, but barely)

(on the pictures the actuator is an older 18" VonWeise)

Attachments

• IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Mike Kohl has info on his website for a 1.8 meter motorized polar mount. Nothing about availability or price though. Being a commercial grade unit it's probably pretty spendy.

https://global-cm.net/PRODELIN SYS.html
Prodelin was sold to General Dynamics several years back---and the above was discontinued by G.D. You are probably looking at information that is at least 5-6 years old. Sorry!

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts