Advice on my 5-LNB Apartment Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colebert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
1. Currently have 3LNB installed (see all birds w/ exc. strength)
2. Apartment management loves me and let me do what I want (even trimming trees!)
3. Prefer to use clamps rather than screwing into wood (though I can do it; see #2)
4. Tree cover is a possible issue in terms of placement options (see pics)
5. Wind is not much of an issue given tree coverage. Practically live in a forrest!

I currently have a 5-LNB upgrade w/ HD-DVR installation scheduled for 8/31. I assume that I will not be able to use my current pole with the new slimline.

How do you all think the install will be done and do you see any issues given the pictures you see here.

I originally had to do the install myself since D* installer said there was no LOS (just from looking.) What should I be prepared for in terms of issues that could come up?

(I am in Arkansas so my angle is ~45 degrees to the sky.)

Attachments

• sat1.jpg
    sat1.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 226
  • sat2.jpg
    sat2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 206
  • sat3.jpg
    sat3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 227
One thing that I would have ready is the knowledge of what satellite your HD Locals come in on. Second I would try and site them prior to the installer coming to do the install. I would lso invest in a non penetrating roof mount with a 2" mast. This will allow the installer to install the dish with out written permission from the complex. As the slimline is a little heavier and needs more support as well as make for a cleaner install.

LR doesn't have HD locals yet. We were next on the list when D* hit the pause button last winter.

1. Currently have 3LNB installed (see all birds w/ exc. strength)
2. Apartment management loves me and let me do what I want (even trimming trees!)
3. Prefer to use clamps rather than screwing into wood (though I can do it; see #2)
4. Tree cover is a possible issue in terms of placement options (see pics)
5. Wind is not much of an issue given tree coverage. Practically live in a forrest!

I currently have a 5-LNB upgrade w/ HD-DVR installation scheduled for 8/31. I assume that I will not be able to use my current pole with the new slimline.

How do you all think the install will be done and do you see any issues given the pictures you see here.

I originally had to do the install myself since D* installer said there was no LOS (just from looking.) What should I be prepared for in terms of issues that could come up?

(I am in Arkansas so my angle is ~45 degrees to the sky.)

Hard to tell on tree coverage. You will need a new mount though. I have a tripod on my balcony. My 3LNB was mounted to the railing like yours is now. The tripod has 4 small holes screwed into the cement on the balcony my complex did not have a problem.

Colebert,

Question. Does DirecTV know that you live in an apartment complex? Did you let them know what floor your on?? I say this because a couple of months ago, I had an install scheduled for the 5 lnb dish. I got a call the day of and was asked what floor I was on. I told them the 2nd. He tells me that he can't do the install because the dish/post has to be on the ground for the dish itself is to heavy to mount on the railing of the patio. Well, long story short, I bought the dish myself and installed it myself with the same post I used for my 3 lnb. Just had to support it a little more because it is heavier. Took me a total of 45 minutes to get everything up and running. Just make sure they know all the details of your living quarters as soon as possible. Don't wait until the day of and the contractor backs out.

well, my address has my apartment #. but i don't make a big production out of it.

i don't mind having to install my own dish, but i do mind having to FOR THE SECOND TIME buy it and install it when it's supposed to be free. if this happens, i will definitely be jaw-jacking for some one-time credits on my bill, etc.

i just hate having to wait for some random redneck to come out, probably attempt to do a half-azz job (if that), knowing I'll probably have to do it all anyway.

But of course, for 100+ HD channels, I'd walk through hell and high water.

just finished with my install.

1. No ground
2. No support brace.
3. Questionable 99 LOS

Otherwise good. I will have to go get some equipment to better brace my dish against wind.

The slimline is a BEAST.

Pics to follow shortly.

ok, this is either really stupid or really smart. but here is how we did this install.

I went out and bought clamps. Although the installer put two lag bolts into the railing (don't tell landlord!) I added clamps to secure it and cover up the fact there are lag bolts into the wood. It was pretty sturdy, but it's obvious a really high wind (which we don't get given trees and landscape) would move it around...

So, here's where I got really clever. :eureka

I took the two secondary support mounts/feet and put them together. Took one end and clamped it to the dish. The other end I put up against a concrete support beam than runs across the length of the apartments. I will go out and get a 6" deep clamp and tightly secure it to this support.

Obviously this is not textbook, but given that I'm on a hill surrounded by trees it should give the Slimline enough support. Right?

Attachments

• sat1.jpg
    sat1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 198
  • sat2.jpg
    sat2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 173
  • sat3.jpg
    sat3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 187
  • sat4.jpg
    sat4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 216
ok, this is either really stupid or really smart. but here is how we did this install.

I went out and bought clamps. Although the installer put two lag bolts into the railing (don't tell landlord!) I added clamps to secure it and cover up the fact there are lag bolts into the wood. It was pretty sturdy, but it's obvious a really high wind (which we don't get given trees and landscape) would move it around...

So, here's where I got really clever. :eureka

I took the two secondary support mounts/feet and put them together. Took one end and clamped it to the dish. The other end I put up against a concrete support beam than runs across the length of the apartments. I will go out and get a 6" deep clamp and tightly secure it to this support.

Obviously this is not textbook, but given that I'm on a hill surrounded by trees it should give the Slimline enough support. Right?

Here is my set up

Attachments

• Sat Dish 006.jpg
    Sat Dish 006.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Sat Dish 007.jpg
    Sat Dish 007.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 201
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)