Big Ten Channel Active

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Well today is the day that the Big Ten channel launches. It is showing active on 220 but will not have any content until 8 PM. We are almost there.

Big 10

I was looking through the guide last nite and noticed it showed 219 as an alternate Big10 with the Northwestern game listed and channel 221 as another alternate Big10 with Penn State listed. Does this mean they will show both of these games on those channels or is that only if you live in a certain area of the country?

Rob

Who cares about the Big Ten network? I don't, here's a local news sound off about the channel.

kdka.com - Video Library
Everyone important cares (me) about the BTN.;) Unless the cable and satellite providers go al a carte, many of us will continue to subsidize a great many channels that should not be on the air. Personally, I would rather pay the same price for the 15-20 channels we actively watch...just so the 200+ bandwidth wasters (Spike, FX, QVC, Sci-Fi, etc.) will be forced to stand on their own or cease to exist. Although I am a sports lover, I think it is a crime the hugely expensive ESPNs are forced down all subscribers throats...even those who don't watch sports.

Al a carte is al a smart! Let's all pay for programming we wish to receive...and nothing more!

There is a slate with a countdown timer at this point (6:39:40 and counting); there is music in the background, which I'm pretty sure is the fight songs from the teams in the conference (I don't recall them all, so I can't confirm)...

Everyone important cares (me) about the BTN.;) Unless the cable and satellite providers go al a carte, many of us will continue to subsidize a great many channels that should not be on the air. Personally, I would rather pay the same price for the 15-20 channels we actively watch...just so the 200+ bandwidth wasters (Spike, FX, QVC, Sci-Fi, etc.) will be forced to stand on their own or cease to exist. Although I am a sports lover, I think it is a crime the hugely expensive ESPNs are forced down all subscribers throats...even those who don't watch sports.

Al a carte is al a smart! Let's all pay for programming we wish to receive...and nothing more!

When I was using my big dish (10') we had ala carte pricing but the problem was that once you picked out your favorite channels and totaled them up it always came out higher than their packages, so you ended up buying a package anyway. It sounded good but just wasn't practical.

I was looking through the guide last nite and noticed it showed 219 as an alternate Big10 with the Northwestern game listed and channel 221 as another alternate Big10 with Penn State listed. Does this mean they will show both of these games on those channels or is that only if you live in a certain area of the country?

Rob

This is on the BTN website:

DIRECTV ANNOUNCES OVERFLOW CHANNELS FOR THIS SATURDAY
DIRECTV subscribers to the Choice programming package and above will receive all six football games televised by Big Ten Network this coming Saturday. Channel assignments are as follows:

12:00 p.m. EDT
Appalachian State at Michigan (Ch. 220 - Primary Game)
Youngstown State at Ohio State (Ch. 218 - Overflow Game)
Northeastern at Northwestern (Ch. 219 - Overflow Game)
Florida International at Penn State (Ch. 221 - Overflow Game)

8:00 p.m. EDT
Bowling Green at Minnesota (Ch. 220 - Primary Game)
Indiana State at Indiana (Ch. 218 - Overflow Game)

There is a slate with a countdown timer at this point (6:39:40 and counting); there is music in the background, which I'm pretty sure is the fight songs from the teams in the conference (I don't recall them all, so I can't confirm)...

They are playing the fight songs with the countdown clock.

Who cares?

Evidently not a poster from the Midwest. :) Here in Ohio we care slightly :)

I wouldn't fully say that. The local news here did a poll on who would pay $1.00 per month to receive the Big Ten Channel and 80% of them polled would not pay for the channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)