Advice please on Chicago D* DNS HD waivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Drifty

Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Please some advice on D* DNS waivers.

I had D* installed in late Aug. I am technically in the Chicago (O&O) market, about 40 miles from Downtown Chi, but also about 50 miles south of Milwaukee. I live in a townhouse so I can't mount a rooftop antenna to draw in the network signals. I have the HD package and I have the locals with my current subscription.

When I was on the phone activating service, I told the CSR I didn't have an OTA antenna so I asked about the DNS. She took care of it and submitted the request. I think her comment was - there is a 99% chance you'll be approved. Well, the results are in an only CBS and FOX granted me the HD NY affiliate. The little post card came in the mail confirming it.

I called the HD activation dept and was told they wouldn't just turn on the ABC and NBC signal for me and said I would have to wait 60 from the date the waiver results happened and call back to re-submit the waiver request. I wonder if just simply re-submitting the request after 60 days will make any difference. I would like to explain to someone how far I live from the signal towers coupled with the townhouse situation and no rooftop antenna.

A friend suggested that the waiver request might have been turned down by the Milwaukee affiliate because they are claiming me as Grade B or something. When D* submits waiver requests would they send it out to multiple affiliates? Both NBC Chicago and the Milwaukee NBC affiliate in my case.

Anyway, just looking for a little advice. Chicago is one of the first 12 markets going mpeg-4 and HD locals later this year. From what I understand the access to the NY network affiliates goes away once the hd locals are available. Maybe 2 of 4 to grant access is the best I can do especially if I have to wait 60 days to try again. Or is at easy as contacting the Chicago (and perhaps Milwaukee) NBC and ABC affiliates to plead my case. If so, do I wait until 60 days are up so it coincides with the waiver being filed.

I know, too many questions. Thoughts???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts