R15 Release Date?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mski

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Has an official release date been set for the R15? I've read early October and then November. Anyone hear anything new? How about Robert at Value Electronics, will we bee seeing them in a few weeks?

mski

early October

As of right now, Robert says, "It looks like very early October".

I just ordered DTV today and the person on the other end of the phone said I'd be getting R15s instead of the DirecTivo. My install is Saturday so I guess I'll see then.

Hope it doesn't suck :D

Report back here if you get a R15....

ElginCon said:
I just ordered DTV today and the person on the other end of the phone said I'd be getting R15s instead of the DirecTivo. My install is Saturday so I guess I'll see then.

Hope it doesn't suck :D

Did you specifically ask for an R15 or is that D*'s choice to send you their DVR?

crazywater said:
Did you specifically ask for an R15 or is that D*'s choice to send you their DVR?
When placing my order I referred to the DVR as a "Tivo" and the rep corrected me. She said I that D* "has technology better than the Tivo and to better serve their customers -- blah blah" and I would get the D* DVR unit. I asked about the model number of the DVR and she had to check, eventually informing me that the model was R15.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when the install guy arrives. Should I complain if I get handed a Directivo unit?

ElginCon said:
...the person on the other end of the phone said I'd be getting R15s ... My install is Saturday ...
Well? Has the installer arrived??

Whajaget?Whajaget?
:what

Fugg said:
Well? Has the installer arrived??

Whajaget?Whajaget?
:what
Funny story.

In short, the installer came, I asked about the DVR and he said it was a "tivo". I asked about the R15 and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Then he refused to install the system without a phone line present despite my objections. I had to call D* and complain only to have them tell me it's the option of the installer if they want to do it without a phone line or not. And my local place flat out refuses to do it.

So.

No TV for me. :mad:

ElginCon said:
When placing my order I referred to the DVR as a "Tivo" and the rep corrected me. She said I that D* "has technology better than the Tivo and to better serve their customers -- blah blah" and I would get the D* DVR unit. I asked about the model number of the DVR and she had to check, eventually informing me that the model was R15.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when the install guy arrives. Should I complain if I get handed a Directivo unit?

I'd complain if I got an R15 after asking for a Tivo.

DirecTV has indicated they will continue to sell DirecTivos for those who want them. Pretty sneaky (though not at all unexpected to BS with the "we have better technology" line about their DVR).

If you ever think you'll ever order a PPV, I wouldn't want an R15 (pay each time instead of only once with the DirecTivo).

jfh3 said:
If you ever think you'll ever order a PPV, I wouldn't want an R15 (pay each time instead of only once with the DirecTivo).

Explain this statement? If recrod a PPV with an R15, you'll have to pay each time you watch it (plus the recording of it)?

No.

No, absolutely you will not. Some anti-anything-that-isn't-a-TiVo people came up with this ridiculous "news" out of thin air, after hearing how the new boxes are going to offer video on demand by pre-recording movies and letting you pay to watch them later. So, as so often happens, this got twisted around to some situation where you can no longer get PPV movies from the regular PPV channels, and you'll have to pay every time you want to watch the movie. It's been debunked, but since when did that stop anybody?

Ricky

DesignDawg said:
No, absolutely you will not. Some anti-anything-that-isn't-a-TiVo people came up with this ridiculous "news" out of thin air, after hearing how the new boxes are going to offer video on demand by pre-recording movies and letting you pay to watch them later. So, as so often happens, this got twisted around to some situation where you can no longer get PPV movies from the regular PPV channels, and you'll have to pay every time you want to watch the movie. It's been debunked, but since when did that stop anybody?

Ricky

Shew....thanks for the clarification.....

I have a question... Do you think I should wait for the R15 to get it, or should I get the TiVo one?

We all like our TiVos here, but the R15 is going to be as close to a TiVo-killer as there ever was one.

If you don't mind being on the cutting edge and regretting purchases, go for TiVo now.

If you do mind, wait and see.

No one actually has an R15 yet, so it's hard to say for certain.

Hehe, all I ever do is regret half my purchases. I guess I'll hold out and see how the R15 looks later.

Many of us have more than 1 TiVo, hell I have 5, so go ahead and get an R10 now and an R15 when it comes out. :D

I've been researching the R15 and I heard there's a possibility that you cannot record two shows and watch one of the shows being recorded. It's also rumored that you cannto record two programs and watch a pre-recorded show. You can do these on a DirecTV TiVo, right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)