advice wanted: lcd monitor vs tv

sansha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I was buying a new netbook on Dell, and noticed they have a great deal on a full HD 1080p LCD monitor with an HDMI connector. I have an older 20" TV in my office that has a Dish network 720 as its primary receiver and I have always meant to eventually get an HD tv for it.

But why get a TV when a monitor and some speakers will do as well?

Can anyone give me the drawbacks to using a computer monitor as a Dish network "tv". I mean, it doesn't have a tuner, but it will only be used as a monitor for Dish network. It won't have a remote -- in fact I am not sure of the on/off issues for the monitor. Hence my asking for anyone who has gone this route before. It seems like a nice cheap solution for my office -- (real TV viewing done in the living room)

thanks

I haven't gone this route but one obvious drawback is the lack of additional inputs for other devices, i.e., DVD, Blu-Ray, VCR, game system, video camera, still camera.

I use a Dell monitor in my kitchen/office area that has composite, S-video, DVI, VGA, and multiple USB inputs. I bought it on closeout 2 years ago, so I'm not sure if they make them with thus much connectivity any more. Maybe some higher end models exist that do, but there you might be better off with a 20-23" TV.

I went ahead and got a 40" full 1080P HD Proscan TV from Best Buy with 3 HDMI imputs, and lots of other bells and whistles (including a PC input) for -- get this -- $499. While the picture may not be quite as great as the 42" LG 1080p TV I bought three years ago for $1800, it's not easily discernable (when you tweak the Proscan's settings a bit) and for $1300 LESS, I couldn't be happier with it as an office tv.

So I have the 722 on the LG and the 622 on the Proscan, all my dishplayers are now dead and my bedroom has a 508 (with an old 13 inch tube tv)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)