Advise on debundling Directv service from Verizon

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
My son-in-law has a "Phone-Internet-Directv" bundled service with Verizon. His internet service is 3MB DSL, the fastest speed Verzion has available in our area. He requires faster speeds for video streaming and the increased usage of the internet by my two granddaughters. Fios is not available. He wants to switch his phone and internet service to RCN and keep Directv.

I also had a "Phone-Internet" bundle with Verizon and switched both to RCN several several months ago. RCN coordinated porting my exiting phone number from Verizon. When they completed my phone/internet installation I immediately contacted Verizon to cancel my DSL service. The whole process was quick and painless.

Since my son-in-law also has Directv in his bundle, I am interested in any suggestions on how to handle his Directv service with this switchover. Does he need to contact Directv or does he deal strictly with Verizon?

TIA

Bob

Sorry for not seeing the post sooner... when I debundled DTV from CenturyLink all was handled thru CL. I was having problems with CL not giving the $5 credit because my package was of the Classic variety so I got flustrated with their responses and said to debundle. The process was almost immediate. One thing to check is when you revert back to DTV billing I had to restart autopay. It was not active by default. I actually like having the separate bills.

contact verizon first, they will handle the entire process, then wait around a week to make sure it goes thru on dtv's side and have him call in, like blueridge said he wont be getting the auto billpay credit by default if he wishes to continue that. also might be eligable for more discounts anyhow.

Thanks for the info. I'll forward it to my son-in-law.

RCN is installing his internet and phone service today.

kinda late here too but since the billing is through the Telco you MUST call them. If he calls DIrectv all they will do is refer him to Verizon

I did that with (at the time) Qwest when the "free HD for current subs" first came out. Someone at D* told me I couldnt get it unless I was with them directly so I called Qwest and they created an order to move it back to D*. When we found out that you COULD get it through the Telco I did an order to move it back. Takes usually less than a week.

kinda late here too but since the billing is through the Telco you MUST call them. If he calls DIrectv all they will do is refer him to Verizon

I did that with (at the time) Qwest when the "free HD for current subs" first came out. Someone at D* told me I couldnt get it unless I was with them directly so I called Qwest and they created an order to move it back to D*. When we found out that you COULD get it through the Telco I did an order to move it back. Takes usually less than a week.

The RCN install went smoothly without a hitch.

My daughter called Verizon and cancelled their DSL service and Verizon indicated it would take up to two billing cycles for their Directv service to be moved to Directv.

Thanks for the feedback.

What is the discount? $5/mo? Is there any downside to doing this? Will I lose the ability to change packages easily or negotiate for equipment upgrades/ package upgrades?

What is the discount? $5/mo?
for me it ended up being $15
$5 for bundling D* with Centurylink (formerly Qwest
$10 for internet because I bundle something with my DSL

but your mileage may vary

Is there any downside to doing this?
other than having a "middle man" if there is billing issue, not really
Will I lose the ability to change packages easily or negotiate for equipment upgrades/ package upgrades?
nope. I've been bundled with Qwest for almost 3 years now. Added and removed programming just fine, upgraded to HD then a HR34/Genie and even "moved" a few times
You call D* for EVERYTHING but billing

For me it worked out as to get the free HD that requires autopay because its billed through a Telco Directv sees that as "auto pay" even though I dont have auto pay with the Telco

This is no doubt a minor issue in the scope of things, but once you bundle, access to past billings seems to be lost thru DTV. This means you'll only have access to past bills starting from the time you bundle. If you contact DTV they'll refer you to your Telco. If you contact your Telco they only have data since you started bundling. I wanted to look at some details on past bills within a few months prior to bundling. For over 6 months Centurylink gave the $5 credit on my Classic account. Suddenly it disappeared. There was a note on the billing statement to suggest I had changed my service. The first month I called and after several "sessions" I was directed to a CS rep who said it was a mistake. My account did qualify for bundling and I was given a credit that showed up on the next months bill..... but not all was OK. While I got the credit from the previous month's "error", no $5 bundling credit for DTV.... so again I start calling. This time after several layers of discussion I was told the CS rep last month made a mistake and the Classic package didn't qualify.... that's the point I said enough is enough and debundled. This is an abbrevated version of prolonged discussions with various layers of CSRs

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)