AFN / PowerVu D9234 / Mini BUD Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OkiMarine

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
North San Diego County
First of all I would like to thank everyone here that contributes and hope to do the same when possible. I'm a long time reader and have relied on many posts within this forum to educate myself prior to asking anything dealing with PowerVu or Mini-BUD. I've been back in the States for about 6 months, and been reading for the last couple months while searching for the remaining equipment needed to make this work. I bought a couple receivers while stationed abroad that I would like to use here in Southern California to receive AFN. I used KU band with a 39 inch dish but the signal here is C Band and the reason for a multi question post. I just purchased the last bit of equipment I think I need to make this work but having problems aiming at Galaxy 16. My setup is as follows: PowerVu D9234 (authorized for AFN), also have a CISCO HD Receiver that I've not hooked up yet, 1.2M Channel Master (picked up used near LA), WS International ESX242 Dual Output LNB. and a conversion bracket / Conical Scalar ring. I've set receiver to match AFRTS instructions for AFN Domestic afrts.dodmedia.osd.mil/ but am having no luck getting a signal off Galaxy 16 on C Band. I am using a Sat finder on my smart phone to ensure I'm pointing in the right direction put have received no signal at all. I've read that its best to do initial aiming with KU then fine tune with C Band LNB. Does anyone know presets for PowerVu KU band so I can change the lnb out for initial aiming of Galaxy 16?

You're going to have a really hard time getting C-band reliably with a 1.2M dish. That being said, I'd start with the Lesea channels on 4000h C-band those signals tear up my satellite. What's the non-powerview receiver you're using? If you want to aim using Ku first, you can use 11800 H.

The 1.2m dish will likely be too small. Not able to get enough signal on the AFN transponder to maintain a lock in Northern California.

Hello,
I'm in the same process trying to set a Scientific Atlanta on a Gal16 99W using a 10 footer BUD. This receiver doesn't have any switch capacity so the LNB cable should go directly to the receiver. You need to change the LNB parameters to C-band since its set default to KU band. I only spent some time going thru the screens and getting familiarized. So I will keep updating as I progress too. Meanwhile here is the User Manual which give you a lot of information and guidence

View attachment D9834_and_D9835_IO_Guide.zip

The 1.2m dish will likely be too small. Not able to get enough signal on the AFN transponder to maintain a lock in Northern California.
I know the 1.2 meter is a long shot but have read many promising posts on here that inspired me to at least give it a try. The dish is actually bigger than I should have on base housing (1m max) but I have it hidden behind some bushes. Will see how long it takes for base housing to notice and tell me to take it down. Also, probably doesn't make any difference but I'm in Southern California.
Hello,
I'm in the same process trying to set a Scientific Atlanta on a Gal16 99W using a 10 footer BUD. This receiver doesn't have any switch capacity so the LNB cable should go directly to the receiver. You need to change the LNB parameters to C-band since its set default to KU band. I only spent some time going thru the screens and getting familiarized. So I will keep updating as I progress too. Meanwhile here is the User Manual which give you a lot of information and guidence

View attachment 88474
I do have the LNB plugged straight into the receiver as I just want 99w at the moment. The D9234 changes from C/KU depending on what frequencies are programmed into each preset. I have set a couple presets setup based off examples posted my Iceberg and a couple other members. Most of the posts I read are 5+ years old though.

Info from the AFN site including what parameters to put in (use one in last column...domestic) and also how to program the D9234

Attachments

• PowerVu_D9234_Setup_Guide.pdf
    875.8 KB · Views: 964
  • D9234_Setting_and_Presets.pdf
    66.4 KB · Views: 636
Can't remember anyone reporting getting TPC (C band) on a 1.2. Cry out for users of a mini(1.2m) & 6 ft prime focus for reports?
http://dishcamo.com/dishcamo.htm
scroll down to 6 - 8 ft. (second from last panel on page)
Ha, great idea's and very realistic looking. Hoping the bushes in the back keep mine hid well enough.

Info from the AFN site including what parameters to put in (use one in last column...domestic) and also how to program the D9234

I have those programmed into my preset but was thinking of using ku to do the initial aiming. I tried changing to 11800 H as previously suggested but got nothing. Tried different channel ID's ect. Hmm, maybe this satfinder app is just pointing me in the wrong direction, or the ku band lnb is bad. Think I'll get up in the attic and grab the other ku lnb and try again. I'll post a pic of both preset's I have, maybe someone will see a problem in the C or Ku setup.

Don't know how fast that receiver is to lock a signal. May have to make a small adjustment and wait 10 or so seconds.
Double check the 'aim' at dishpointer.com Will give you azimuth, elevation, skew. And an obstacle tool is available.
Can't upload - not enough posts yet. I got 10 in my mind??? Some where else? Ha, the only other picture host I can think [ATM] of is picasa.

I already have a 10 footer set to G16 99W on FTA so it will be easiest to set! Try using another FTA receiver and lock it and then change receivers!

Bad altitude?

...My setup is as follows:
1.2M Channel Master (picked up used near LA),
WS International ESX242 Dual Output LNB.
and a conversion bracket / Conical Scalar ring.

....am having no luck getting a signal off Galaxy 16 on C Band.

I've read that its best to do initial aiming with KU then fine tune with C Band LNB.
I will wager that your C band LNBF is mounted too high.
To compensate, you would have to aim your dish higher.
By not having the LNBF at the real focal point, you would loose more signal.

Look at the dish from the side and notice where the Ku LNB is located versus where the C band LNBF is.

Don't know how fast that receiver is to lock a signal. May have to make a small adjustment and wait 10 or so seconds.

yup they arent the fastest....and they also have different numbers for signal (not a quality on 1-100 scale)

Well, a six pack later playing with the ku and C band lnb's and nothing good to report. I drink pretty fast so I was probably outside less time than most think. Will try again tomorrow.
on base is there not a microwave system set up for use ? for personal @base
They have them setup abroad but I don't think so in CONUS, technically I shouldn't be able to receive AFN in CONUS.

yup they arent the fastest....and they also have different numbers for signal (not a quality on 1-100 scale)
Right, they are slow and the quality goes 1-10

I will wager that your C band LNBF is mounted too high.
To compensate, you would have to aim your dish higher.
By not having the LNBF at the real focal point, you would loose more signal.

Look at the dish from the side and notice where the Ku LNB is located versus where the C band LNBF is.
No doubt that my c band lnb is off bigtime, if I could get the quality meter to move at all I could adjust to the max strength. So far I have 73-75 on strength but nothing on quality.

Double check the 'aim' at dishpointer.com Will give you azimuth, elevation, skew. And an obstacle tool is available.
Can't upload - not enough posts yet. I got 10 in my mind??? Some where else? Ha, the only other picture host I can think [ATM] of is picasa.
damn, I figured as a paying member the # of posts is irrelevant to post a pic. Oh well, on my way there.

I already have a 10 footer set to G16 99W on FTA so it will be easiest to set! Try using another FTA receiver and lock it and then change receivers!
Was thinking the same thing, looked at craigslist today for a FTA receiver, only one listed close was a Ultra VS ViewSat 2000 for $145.00, not sure if its worth it for what I want it for (aligning my dish and then to the closet). You have any suggestions on a easy to use FTA receiver that relatively cheap?

They have them setup abroad but I don't think so in CONUS, technically I shouldn't be able to receive AFN in CONUS.
microwave
see them here pointed at the local base
could be old as heck

Was thinking the same thing, looked at craigslist today for a FTA receiver, only one listed close was a Ultra VS ViewSat 2000 for $145.00, not sure if its worth it for what I want it for (aligning my dish and then to the closet).
keep looking that one is $5 tops imo

the microHD is more capable and costs less. It's DVB-S2, mpeg4, AAC , all the newest 'modes'.. A DVB-S, mpeg2 on the 'bay, saw an older pansat model 2700 there, for cheap? Although, there's some risk there, not knowing if it even works. Could end up spending more on it.

Well, played around alittle after work today. Decided to hook up the Cisco Receiver and picked up a signal pretty quick on ku after programming in 11800. Fine tuned it best I could, think the signal quality was around 60-61 but I didn't mess with the tilt at all. Plugged in the D9234 with the c band lnb and got nothing. Was getting dark so I decided to pack it in. Checked the sat finder app on my phone and it showed to be west of Galaxy 16 by a few degrees. Maybe I hit the wrong azimuth when I was on the cisco receiver. Not sure but will play with it more tomorrow.

Sounds like maybe you are beyond getting a receiver to use to find satellites.
Under no circumstances would we let you spend that much money on an obsolete Viewsat. :)

But if you do want something... maybe to partake of all the current FTA programming...

the GeoSatPro microHD costs less and does a lot more.
some dealers have 'em on eBay/Amazon, and are fully legit.
(with heavy factory support here on the forum)

Another receiver emerging with bugs fixed is X2
If interested, read the lengthy thread in Receiver Support (near the top)
you seem technically advanced enough to get by with less support and documentation.

Decision is yours. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)