after 17 years with DTV

Not a huge deal to just use another Hopper vs. a Super joey...$2 more, but gives 3 vs. 2 tuners, is not dependent on another Hopper...and IS supported by Dish...others have this config ( you just have to purchase any over the first 2...and the add'l h/w ). I would suspect the Super Joey issue is more related to what Hopper does it tie to when more than one.

Dish limits the number of LEASED tuners by policy, but I believe that MOCA limitations prevent a SJ on multiple Hopper systems more than just a policy decision.

I know that MOCA bandwidth limits is the "official" DISH reason for not allowing the SJ on multiple hopper systems. But does it make sense that a SJ can exceed the MOCA on a 2 HWS system, but a 4 Hopper system which people here have doesn't exceed MOCA limitations?

I know that MOCA bandwidth limits is the "official" DISH reason for not allowing the SJ on multiple hopper systems. But does it make sense that a SJ can exceed the MOCA on a 2 HWS system, but a 4 Hopper system which people here have doesn't exceed MOCA limitations?

I think putting the two tuners on the MoCA channels back to the Hopper was mentioned as a possible problem as well as linking to different Hoppers because of the tuner integration would probably be really sloppy.

Reactions: madmadworld
To some degree, yes. SJ requires bandwidth for two streams from SJ to Hopper that need to be rock solid for potentially 24/7 for recording. If you are watching TV on the SJ, then that adds a third stream going from Hopper back to the SJ.

If you are viewing on a Joey and drop a few packets, skip back 10 seconds and see what you missed. If the recording Hopper loses packets from the SJ they are gone for good.

On the other hand, in a multiple HWS system the average bandwidth used may actually be less than a single Hopper. Theoretically more of the viewing stays local on the Hoppers, vs being sent to a Joey via moca.

I may have missed it, but I don't think any of our multiple Hopper/multiple Joey users have really tried to stress test a moca only net.

Is Dish being too conservative - probably. Can I see their reasoning - yes, especially understanding many installs are probably sub-optimal and they want a simple set of guidelines to maximize reliability.

Do I agree with it - not really, wish they could open it up at least on a purchased only/no warranty/unsupported basis.

Please permit my ignorance, but why did Dish go down this road? Not permitting SJ's with multiple Hoppers..
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the SuperJoey creates a lot of MoCA traffic when it is doing its thing. Hoppers only put outgoing traffic on the network while the Super Joey brings a couple of streams of incoming traffic.

It seems switching to comcast would be better silicon dust will have 6 tuners devices soon. So two of those will be 12 tunners and couple cable cards 2.50 and well you may need to build custom recording pc with mythtv.

It seems switching to comcast would be better silicon dust will have 6 tuners devices soon.
This presupposes that Comcast is going to stick with CableCARD going forward. Now that Comcast (and other cable-like providers) are no longer required to use physical CableCARDs, things could change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)