After 4 Failed Receivers I just Canceled

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Well it's a sad day for me. I've been an 8 year Dish customer and until now have never needed a replacement receiver. My two year old 622 was acting up two weeks ago so I called and they sent a replacement. This started the spiral from hell. I've now been through 4 refurb 622's, 3 this week alone and when I called this morning and demanded they send me a working unit they told me they couldn't guarantee it. So I canceled. I have Direct already so it's not a big blow for me, I will miss RAVE which was basically the only Voom channel I watch. I can't believe that they wouldn't send me a new 622 after all this. I even offered to PAY for Dishin' it up if they'd waive the 24 month commitment. They weren't having any of it.

It's already off and as I said, I feel bad about it. I had no intentions of canceling even with having Direct.

So much for my loyalty over the years.

Brian

Hmm this sounds strange I dont understand how someone could go through that many receivers... What kind of problems were you having??

The original receiver I returned because over the two years I would get now and then all of a sudden a black screen and a loud whining noise out of the speakers. It would then reboot and be fine for a while. This problem got worse over time.

The 1st replacement had a bad modem and couldn't connect to Dish. Second replacement worked fine for 12 hours then started to just reboot over and over again, couldn't break the reboot cycle. Third one had a bad hard drive. Couldn't record would say file corruption, need to wipe drive all the time. Also this made the whole unit SLOW. When I'd hit guide it was 10 seconds before the guide would appear, normal tv viewing was ok.

The latest and 4th replacement works perfectly except I get all kinds of artifacts popping on the screen in SD and HD and off air. Not the melting screen you see with a bad signal but blotches of colors jumping all over the program every 3-5 seconds.

A mess right? If it was the same problem over and over I'd suspect something else, but these are all know 622 issues. Let's face it, 90% of the returns going back for refurb are going back because they aren't working.

Brian

don't blame you one bit. But I bet if you emailed ceo@echostar.com, they would've helped you out.

Saying that, you shouldn't have to.

I emailed them Sunday after the 3rd one failed, told them that tech was sending another unit on Monday and would appreciate it if they could possible help me out with a confirmed working 622. Never got a response. I've emailed them again this morning bringing them up to date and letting them know I canceled.

I don't suspect I will hear from them. The only thing Dish did do for me and believe me they made it like they were doing me a huge favor, they waived having to send the LNB's back as I told them there was no way I was going up on the roof. Nice of them huh? Again, for the record, 8 year customer, started with I think a 222 standard def receiver then had a 921 and then the 622, never replaced a single receiver until now.

I initially thought you had power issues, but not with those problems and the D* stuff working.

Yes, that email to ceo would have been a good idea, but now it's probably too late. And you've lost your upfront fee/investment for the ViP622.

An email saying what went wrong might be nice, to help them get their act together. Somebody ought to start listening since new subs are scarce.

Yes, that email to ceo would have been a good idea, but now it's probably too late. And you've lost your upfront fee/investment for the ViP622.

Well I got burned on the 921 deals they were doing too and I did get 2 years out of the 622. I still get the impression that they don't give a hoot about existing customers, it's all about new signups.

Heck, the new customer signing up today gets a new receiver and pays 1/2 of what I pay in programming. Like I said, with D having everything E* except Voom the only channel I will miss is Rave. Like watching Soundstage and Jools Holland.

Just curious - why did you subscribe to both both E* and D*?
I see this on occasion. Did an install for a nice couple last week. They had D* and were keeping it...No problem.
Some have D* just for the Sunday Ticket or perhaps another sports pack only. D* lets customers do that.

Refurbs will have a higher failure rate because they are often sent back for failures. If the tech back at DISH is lazy, he will run it for 5 minutes, wipe the disc and label it NTF. It goes back into the queue.

When I was at Agilent, we had certain units/cards/boards that came back over and over again. I was part of a team that got a system in place to track NTF units and get them out of the system after 2 successive NTF reports or 3 NTF reports under any conditions.

(NTF - No Trouble Found)

Just wait they will call you in a day or two and beg you to come back. THats when you will get a 722 for no charge.

Insist on a new unit, and request a tech to bring it out. You can negotiate not having the tech out there, but that's the person who can verify that it is DISH's problem.

Just curious - why did you subscribe to both both E* and D*?

Well I downgraded E to just the HD since I don't watch SD. With those savings I signed to D for a great deal. I really wanted that extra HD they had, especially SCIFI Channel. With the deal at D and what I saved downgrading E I was close to the same amount spent. Also D has far superior VOD then E and while their receivers are not as great as E (when they work) they aren't bad and getting better.

As I stated I mainly kept E* for the Rave and out of habit, after 8 years didn't want to cancel and it wasn't costing me that much. Oh and I love to watch the LA news on KTLA each night.

Brian

I have an email from the executive office stating that they wish they talked to me before I canceled that they would have sent me a new 722. Funny thing is I emailed them Sunday about receiver 3 failing and asked for help then. The subject was Please Help Me Get a Working 622. They never responded. The response today was from the message I sent this morning notifying them as to why I canceled.

Not sure what I will do. I guess I will call the person and hear them out at the least.

Here's the message.

I am truly sorry for the ongoing issues you have been having with the
622's. I wish I would have been able to speak with you earlier because I
could have had a new 722 shipped to your home address. We currently have
our engineers working on our equipment because of the problems the 622's
have been having. If you decide to return in the future, please contact
me personally and I will be able to set you up. I am in the office Monday
- Friday 9-5:30 MST.

I have an email from the executive office stating that they wish they talked to me before I canceled that they would have sent me a new 722. Funny thing is I emailed them Sunday about receiver 3 failing and asked for help then. The subject was Please Help Me Get a Working 622. They never responded. The response today was from the message I sent this morning notifying them as to why I canceled.

Not sure what I will do. I guess I will call the person and hear them out at the least.

Here's the message.

I am truly sorry for the ongoing issues you have been having with the
622's. I wish I would have been able to speak with you earlier because I
could have had a new 722 shipped to your home address. We currently have
our engineers working on our equipment because of the problems the 622's
have been having. If you decide to return in the future, please contact
me personally and I will be able to set you up. I am in the office Monday
- Friday 9-5:30 MST.
good..do that...tell the person these words..."never underestimate the value of a phone call or return email".
The offer to come back under conditions. Ask for 6 months of free HD programming. Take three. That's a good deal. Make sure you get your 722. And try for a few other goodies. Maybe a premium movie service...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)