Afternoon signal loss

kevink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
It seems that many afternoons the last month or so, I've been losing signal on satellite 119 on my Superdish. Comes back after about 7pm.

I'd been blaming the heat, since there are no trees to obstruct the view, and it was getting over 100 in August. Though today it is only about 82 and it is doing it again.

I'd been busy over the last month, and hadn't called anyone, especially since it has mostly been reruns anyway :)

Is this most likely the dish? The switch (under the eave)? The cables seem tight.

The dish is mounted on a pole.

I need to find time to call support. I'm not sure whether it will matter in this case that I pay for my service (522) through ATT.

Thanks,
Kevin

I don't know. Every time I get a trouble call like that(losing signal at "certain times of the day"), it's usually been a corroded connection somewhere. With Superdish it's always been at the 34 switch. (I guess that's what you've got the lnbs running through, depends on your receivers i guess). If the installer didnt put the f-sealing rings or rubber boots on all connections, it's possible.

I've stated before that I always check all breaks in the line when confronted with a periodic problem like that(a problem that the customer usually can't recreate while I'm there), and that is usually the culprit. But honestly, the lnb is a good possibility. heh,I'm not sure what it would take to get a new lnb for that thing. I guess if you've got the DHP, equipment insurance or whatever you'll be ok, but let's hope thats not it.

I went out tonight and hosed down the LNBs, and when I went in and rechecked the switch, all satellites showed up.

I have the DP34 switch, according to the check switch screens.

I'll try it again if it recurs. I've had too many cases with electronics where you do something, it seems to get better, but it was a coincidence.

No doubt. My advice on stuff like this is just based on what I've experienced. I could not tell you whats inside of those LNB's or switches that could go bad and cause problems like this, but if the lnb was pretty dirty, that could definitely do it. heh. eh, who knows? Maybe one day I'll be a supertech and be able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is by just knowing the symptoms.

Let us know how it goes.

If it IS the LNB, then it has to be heat related. The dish is setup for a southwest view, the sun is shining on it at this time. In the morning, a house mostly blocks the sun.

I can tell you one thing, it was up over 115º in the shade here last month. In direct sunlight I had a thermometer reading 138º. If the LNB's can handle that-and they did-I doubt its heat related.

It could be that HIS LNB is having heat-related problems and needs to be changed.

That's like the Type II SuperDish 105 and the 110 LNB. I can roll-out to a trouble call where the Customer's 110 LNB is overheating, yet his neighbor(s) still have that dish and apparently no problems (well, at least, not yet).

By after work, satellite 119 was off the air for me again. I went out, hosed it down, then it worked.

I'll be out of town too much over the next few weeks, but once I'm back, I'll try calling tech support. It has to be the LNB, since hosing down the LNBs brings back the signal.

It isn't even the bad heat anymore, since it has generally been low 90's and 80's now.

I had this problem to day, on a new connect. The warehouse gave me a reman dpp twin with my equipment and it worked fine until I got about 10 miles down the road. The customer called me back saying nothing was working. I got back there and ran the check switch(which of course came back fine before I left). It was still recognizing the 119 and 110, but I was getting a reception error. I checked the lnb, which was directly in the sunlight and was, of course, very hot. Luckily I had a new one on the truck for an install that fell through. I changed it out and everything was peachy again. I can't be 100% sure it was the heat that did it, but after reading about your problem, I'm pretty sure thats what it was. That could very well be the problem for every bad lnb I've ever changed, I just never thought about it. I know you're having a problem with the 119 side of a superdish lnb and it's not quite the same thing, but they're all basically built the same.

Does anybody know what's happening in there? Is something melting?

It was a 625. Now, I'm not gonna say that I haven't had problems with these, but I don't "think" there was anything wrong with that. I did tell the customer to call me back if it happened again tonight. I havent heard from him, so I'm assuming I fixed it.

Roadwarrior said:
I don't know. Every time I get a trouble call like that(losing signal at "certain times of the day"), it's usually been a corroded connection somewhere. With Superdish it's always been at the 34 switch. (I guess that's what you've got the lnbs running through, depends on your receivers i guess). If the installer didnt put the f-sealing rings or rubber boots on all connections, it's possible.

I've stated before that I always check all breaks in the line when confronted with a periodic problem like that(a problem that the customer usually can't recreate while I'm there), and that is usually the culprit. But honestly, the lnb is a good possibility. heh,I'm not sure what it would take to get a new lnb for that thing. I guess if you've got the DHP, equipment insurance or whatever you'll be ok, but let's hope thats not it.
why do you have a super Dish?...Is it for locals or international programming?..If it's for locals, you don't need it anymore..all locals are now available withg a Dish 500 antenna...international services are being migrated over to 118.75

Roadwarrior said:
I had this problem to day, on a new connect. The warehouse gave me a reman dpp twin with my equipment and it worked fine until I got about 10 miles down the road. The customer called me back saying nothing was working. I got back there and ran the check switch(which of course came back fine before I left). It was still recognizing the 119 and 110, but I was getting a reception error. I checked the lnb, which was directly in the sunlight and was, of course, very hot. Luckily I had a new one on the truck for an install that fell through. I changed it out and everything was peachy again. I can't be 100% sure it was the heat that did it, but after reading about your problem, I'm pretty sure thats what it was. That could very well be the problem for every bad lnb I've ever changed, I just never thought about it. I know you're having a problem with the 119 side of a superdish lnb and it's not quite the same thing, but they're all basically built the same.

Does anybody know what's happening in there? Is something melting?
we are having what we believe to be heat related failures on DPP twins..over 100 have been picked up by our techs this summer...Problems started in late July when we got some very hot(mid 90's) temps and the problems have subsided sinced the weather has cooled..

I just had this same problem less than a month ago. I thought it was the dp 34 switch but it wasn't. It's the heat beating down on the lnb. Since my lnb was changed, I havn't had any more problems at all. Everything is working fine again.

What is suprising to me is that it has cooled off, but it is still acting up. I finally got around to calling Dish, and I have someone scheduled to come out on the 3rd. Would have been earlier, but I was out of town last week, and my vacation starts next Thursday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts