Ahhh, the season of giving...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If this channel is asking for a big increase, let em dump it. It's an OK space filler, but the channel has never been that great. Im a golf fan BTW.

Well yea, for you guys (& I'll even include myself in there as well) it's "useless" - but I GUARANTEE you, there is way more subs that WILL howl if it disappears - at least in comparison to G4 getting dumped.

The thing I'm concerned with now is, since obviously D* IS now having a catfight with CC, what's going to be the next shoe to drop - E! perhaps? What about all the other CC RSN's - namely Chicago in our case? Since they dropped the one RSN, no reason why it might not spill over into the rest - & in IL, THAT will not do!
Sorry, but if E! goes, that WILL be the last straw for me - it's bad enough they are the ONLY provider in my area NOT providing it in HD, but to loose it altogether, no way.

Ya know, I really think D* is getting to be as bad as E* on prog drops - I think D* must have hired some of E* employees... :rolleyes:

Well yea, for you guys (& I'll even include myself in there as well) it's "useless" - but I GUARANTEE you, there is way more subs that WILL howl if it disappears - at least in comparison to G4 getting dumped.

The thing I'm concerned with now is, since obviously D* IS now having a catfight with CC, what's going to be the next shoe to drop - E! perhaps? What about all the other CC RSN's - namely Chicago in our case? Since they dropped the one RSN, no reason why it might not spill over into the rest - & in IL, THAT will not do!
Sorry, but if E! goes, that WILL be the last straw for me - it's bad enough they are the ONLY provider in my area NOT providing it in HD, but to loose it altogether, no way.

Ya know, I really think D* is getting to be as bad as E* on prog drops - I think D* must have hired some of E* employees... :rolleyes:

If you look at the numbers for Golf Channel and G4 you'll probably find they were very low .... your complaining about something that hasn't even happened in your shot about D turning into E.

Probably going ot use the space for another HD PPV Channel. We certainly do not have enough of those.

your complaining about something that hasn't even happened in your shot about D turning into E.

Well as far as I'm concerned, it's VERY well deserved, which is why I said it! And, from everything that is happening (or mostly NOT happening, as far as NO new HD adds or possible deletions) I do NOT like the direction where I see D* going - the bloom is starting to fall off the rose for me!
Sorry, but I am NOT a devoted, unwaivering & faithful fanboi of ANY providers these days - & THAT includes D*! If they have issues, I WILL call them on that - didn't realize I was on the other "talk" board. :rolleyes:

And right now, in my market, with 3 other competitors, D* IS dead last on national HD's. Of course, it is NOT counting any (40) HD PPV's, & OOM RSN's that are of no value to at least 80% of local subs. (ONLY value they are is if you have OOM season ticket packages, which the majority of subs do NOT have) I have it all memorialized on a spreadsheet, which makes it painfully clear who the winner (looser) is.

Last Monday, Comcast just lit up 50+ new HD's in one day! Before then, they were clearly last place, but now it's a different story - pretty sad that CC here in podunk Springpatch did all these adds & now exceeded D* in one fell swope! Sure, many of them were HD's D* had, but many ALSO were ones that the other 2 providers (DISH & U-verse) already had - & that we are STILL waiting on D* to add. (HLN, TCM, E! are the ones in particular that I'm quite tired of waiting for, ONLY from D*) I won't even add in the new ones that none of the other providers carry... (all the Rainbow's, although DISH even was able to carry AMC, which CC already had for over a year now - I know someone WILL bring up the Rainbow situation; I DON'T care at this point!)

Quite honestly, I REALLY thought that D* would have their (HD) $hit together before CC, of all people, did - guess you just never know how fast things can change. And yea, instead of bitching about it, I WILL be doing something about it - AFTER I get back from CES.

Last edited:
Well as far as I'm concerned, it's VERY well deserved, which is why I said it! And, from everything that is happening (or mostly NOT happening, as far as NO new HD adds or possible deletions) I do NOT like the direction where I see D* going - the bloom is starting to fall off the rose for me!
Sorry, but I am NOT a devoted, unwaivering & faithful fanboi of ANY providers these days - & THAT includes D*! If they have issues, I WILL call them on that - didn't realize I was on the other "talk" board. :rolleyes:

And right now, in my market, with 3 other competitors, D* IS dead last on national HD's. Of course, it is NOT counting any (40) HD PPV's, & OOM RSN's that are of no value to at least 80% of local subs. (ONLY value they are is if you have OOM season ticket packages, which the majority of subs do NOT have) I have it all memorialized on a spreadsheet, which makes it painfully clear who the winner (looser) is.

Last Monday, Comcast just lit up 50+ new HD's in one day! Before then, they were clearly last place, but now it's a different story - pretty sad that CC here in podunk Springpatch did all these adds & now exceeded D* in one fell swope! Sure, many of them were HD's D* had, but many ALSO were ones that the other 2 providers (DISH & U-verse) already had - & that we are STILL waiting on D* to add. (HLN, TCM, E! are the ones in particular that I'm quite tired of waiting for, ONLY from D*) I won't even add in the new ones that none of the other providers carry... (all the Rainbow's, although DISH even was able to carry AMC, which CC already had for over a year now - I know someone WILL bring up the Rainbow situation; I DON'T care at this point!)

Quite honestly, I REALLY thought that D* would have their (HD) $hit together before CC, of all people, did - guess you just never know how fast things can change. And yea, instead of bitching about it, I WILL be doing something about it - AFTER I get back from CES.

So where was all these HD channels on Comcast back in '07 when D* made it initial push ?

I will say it again, I would rather have Quality over Quantity any day of the week.

Also, what good is 700 HD channels if they don't have the one that YOU would want to watch ?

If D* didn't have the channels I wanted, I too would be gone.

Your clearly playing the NUMBERS game, I refuse to do that as anyone can add up a bunch of useless HD channels and say that they now have the most.

Last edited:
So where was all these HD channels on Comcast back in '07 when D* made it initial push ?

Who cares - HELLO, it's now 2011! As I already said, things DO change...& D* has decided to fall behind the rest - NOT my problem!

I will say it again, I would rather have Quality over Quantity any day of the week.

And I would rather have the channels I watch in HD, than in (very) compressed SD crap I'm having to settle for now.
It's ridiculous that I'm having to watch letterboxed SD prog on an HD set in 2011! :rolleyes:

Also, what good is 700 HD channels if they don't have the one that YOU would want to watch ?

Uh, I DID mention several that D* does NOT have, that THREE other providers DO - so what's your point... :confused:
Since you brought this up, there's a couple of others I want in HD: DIY & Cooking. 2 out of the 3 other providers DO offer them as well. (E* & AT&T)

If D* didn't have the channels I wanted, I too would be gone.

uh yea, I kinda thought that's what I was basically saying all along :confused:

Your clearly playing the NUMBERS game, I refuse to do that as anyone can add up a bunch of useless HD channels and say that they now have the most.

No, you're clearly playing the "I'm SUCH a devoted D* fanboi, that whatever they do with the (lack of) new HD they decide to spoon-feed to me, is good enough to keep me" game. Sorry, I don't play THAT game, either - as I clearly stated, NO provider gets that from me!

And as far as "a bunch of useless HD channels" - obviously you must watch a LOT of those HD PPV's, since D* has the LARGEST number of them of any provider. Do you enjoy watching the 8 NY & LA DNS channels - you MUST have them, since D* counts those in it's 160 HD count in most of it's HD advertising. (never mind of course most subs CANNOT even get them if they wanted to :rolleyes: ) Yea, I can play that "numbers game" just as good as you can... :p

Look, if you are that devoted to D*, then good for you, & everyone else that is satisfied with the status quo. But understand that some of us have NO use for all the HD PPV we would never use, or OOM RSN's that are of NO value to us, or more HD premiums that we do not even subscribe to. That's the beauty of having access to 4 providers - some sort of choice. And some of us do NOT like having to wait yet AGAIN until 2013 for D* to "launch another bird" that maybe, might give us those HD we thought were coming the last go-round. If another provider(s) chooses to "shut up & put up" NOW, then so be it...

Last edited:
I'm starting to get the feeling that D* is looking a bit too much towards the bottom line right now and starting to fall behind. Not just content wise either, their DVR's are passable but other companies certainly have better.

They certainly have some subs to spare and until their growth rate suffers they will continue on the current course. In the end its up to the subscriber to decide if another offer is better than what they currently have. I certainly don't need everyone on the forum to agree with my decision to keep D* or switch to XYZ. I could care less. What I do know is if they continue to drop stations but not add anything eventually they will piss off more people than they please.

Thats what makes the power of having choices a great tool, I would love for direct to add a few more national HD channels as I think I would watch a bit more programming on those channels if they were in HD. I can speak for myself in that I am going no where as I am happy with Directv, as I am sure you know make sure you research the options before chaning services to make sure they have ALL of what you need!!

Thats what makes the power of having choices a great tool,

+1 :up

I'm at a point where I'm amused at the level of howling and whining that goes on whenever a carrier ... ANY carrier drops a channel. Cable carriers do it, satellite carriers do it, they ALL do it and there's always a contingent of people that are stamping their feet and crying over it. Even a RUMOR of a channel going away gets a reaction.

Now don't get me wrong. I agree with everyone having a right to their opinion, but these are services and they change. It's the nature of the business. When Dish lost MSG I hung around to see if it would straighten out and it didn't. So I finally switched to DirecTV. I was a bit miffed that I was missing my hockey games with E*, but they were making a decision to not let a channel call the shots (no pun intended). That's a business decision, and a pretty tough one at that. I'm fairly confident that some bean counters were calculating the losses that they knew were going to happen, but rather than cave in to demands, they went on with their decision. Good for them. Bad for me, however, so after about 13 years or so I switched.

I'm also aware that some of the more rural communities (like mine) have far fewer choices in TV service delivery. But then I also have fewer choices for a phone carrier, what gas station to use, where to buy groceries close to home, etc. If my local grocer stopped carrying beef because the suppliers were holding him hostage, and I wanted a couple pounds of hamburger, I'd go someplace else and wish the local good luck in his negotiations with the beef supplier.

I teach meditation. Maybe that's why I find this funny. But it's fundamental really. If you're not happy in a situation, why do you sit in that unhappiness and let it devour you. YOU are making yourself more miserable.
"Doc, it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do that"
Change carriers or live with the one you have and accept that it is what it is, or, for cryin' out loud, go play with your kids or your dog or go for a walk with your wife or do SOMETHING that makes you happy.

Ok now *I* sound preachy. I think I'll just make it a practice to avoid the whining threads. :) 'Cause that would make *me* happier... hehehe

Who cares - HELLO, it's now 2011! As I already said, things DO change...& D* has decided to fall behind the rest - NOT my problem!

And I would rather have the channels I watch in HD, than in (very) compressed SD crap I'm having to settle for now.
It's ridiculous that I'm having to watch letterboxed SD prog on an HD set in 2011! :rolleyes:

Uh, I DID mention several that D* does NOT have, that THREE other providers DO - so what's your point... :confused:
Since you brought this up, there's a couple of others I want in HD: DIY & Cooking. 2 out of the 3 other providers DO offer them as well. (E* & AT&T)

uh yea, I kinda thought that's what I was basically saying all along :confused:

No, you're clearly playing the "I'm SUCH a devoted D* fanboi, that whatever they do with the (lack of) new HD they decide to spoon-feed to me, is good enough to keep me" game. Sorry, I don't play THAT game, either - as I clearly stated, NO provider gets that from me!

And as far as "a bunch of useless HD channels" - obviously you must watch a LOT of those HD PPV's, since D* has the LARGEST number of them of any provider. Do you enjoy watching the 8 NY & LA DNS channels - you MUST have them, since D* counts those in it's 160 HD count in most of it's HD advertising. (never mind of course most subs CANNOT even get them if they wanted to :rolleyes: ) Yea, I can play that "numbers game" just as good as you can... :p

Look, if you are that devoted to D*, then good for you, & everyone else that is satisfied with the status quo. But understand that some of us have NO use for all the HD PPV we would never use, or OOM RSN's that are of NO value to us, or more HD premiums that we do not even subscribe to. That's the beauty of having access to 4 providers - some sort of choice. And some of us do NOT like having to wait yet AGAIN until 2013 for D* to "launch another bird" that maybe, might give us those HD we thought were coming the last go-round. If another provider(s) chooses to "shut up & put up" NOW, then so be it...

As for your complaint about the RSN's, I think it's ridiculous, IF they didn't have all of them then SOMEONE would be left out and bitching because they can't get thiers.
Your choice yo NOT count RSN's I cant understand because they are a major part of any sub that gives a damn about sports.

70% of my viewing is Network OTA stuff .

Am I happy that they have not increased the HD count since the new sat went up ? NO
However, that doesn't mean I'm leaving, I don't jump providers when someone else adds a channel then 3 months later when someone else adds a few more JUMP over there.

I find the provider that has the channels I need, D* does that for me.

There is ONE channel that I watch regularly that is NOT HD, that's it.

I don't watch Movies, I do the ST and my local RSN for the Red Wings and Tigers.

IF D* doesn't provide you with the channels you need, then MOVE on to someone else ..... Oh you already said that NO ONE does, but you continue to bitch about D* even though OTHERS don't give you what you want either, why is that ? Why not bitch to the other Providers that don't have what you want ?

Better yet, go get something local (Cable) in your own city so you can DRIVE over to the office and bitch to them when you don't have the channel you want.

IF your not happy with the people on this DIRECTV board, guess what, if you don't want D* and have nothing useful to say, Move on to a board that carries what YOU need.

Many come to these boards for help/advice, many of us give our opinions as to what might help them, I can't help it you can't handle people helping others ....

I don't go to a board to RIP people trying to help others or to stir the pot.

Good god, Heaven knows that if Jimbo is happy with what he has we should all be, because that is how it is. Same ole crap different day. It is great he is happy, but that does not mean everyone else has to be..Heaven forbid you use a forum put here for this type of discussion. Go figure..

Good god, Heaven knows that if Jimbo is happy with what he has we should all be, because that is how it is. Same ole crap different day. It is great he is happy, but that does not mean everyone else has to be..Heaven forbid you use a forum put here for this type of discussion. Go figure..

Never said you had to agree and I just replied to the SLAM that was given to me during the previous post.

You don't like it, I'll leave or you can choose to NOT read my post.

I THINK, I help alot more people than I piss off.

If not, maybe I have mis read most of the posts around here.
Your now Jumped on when you answer questions because your considered a FANBOY if you happen to be able to ANSWER someones question.

Anybody notice that the OP hasn't been in tyhis thread since the first post, I guess he too is a Fanboy , look what got started.

However, that doesn't mean I'm leaving, I don't jump providers when someone else adds a channel then 3 months later when someone else adds a few more JUMP over there.

Uh, excuse me, but I've been a (full) D* sub non-stop since 1998, so I have NO idea how me, daring to suggest switching to another provider, after ALL these years, is "jumping around", but whatever conclusions you're drawing, I could care less.

I find the provider that has the channels I need, D* does that for me.

Well BULLY for you - so I guess that means the rest of the world (or at least this board anyway) should be too, right? :rolleyes:

There is ONE channel that I watch regularly that is NOT HD, that's it.

Again, bully for you - for MY needs, there's more than I care to keep having to watch in compressed SD any longer

IF D* doesn't provide you with the channels you need, then MOVE on to someone else ..... Oh you already said that NO ONE does, but you continue to bitch about D* even though OTHERS don't give you what you want either, why is that ?

Oh really, where DID I say that - you might want to check those glasses of yours... :p
I believe I said that ALL 3 other competitors DO offer the specific channels I WAS looking for

Why not bitch to the other Providers that don't have what you want ?

See above answer

Better yet, go get something local (Cable) in your own city so you can DRIVE over to the office and bitch to them when you don't have the channel you want.

See above answer

IF your not happy with the people on this DIRECTV board, guess what, if you don't want D* and have nothing useful to say, Move on to a board that carries what YOU need.

Well GUESS WHAT - I'll CONTINUE to post WHAT I WANT & WHEN I WANT here, just as I ALWAYS have, & with NO regard of what YOU want!
Got a problem with it - go to one of the mods & see if they'll act on your request; let us know how that works out for you... :D

Many come to these boards for help/advice, many of us give our opinions as to what might help them, I can't help it you can't handle people helping others ....

Hmm, I think my many posts over the years of helping people speaks for itself - I can't help it if YOU can't (obviously) handle someone with a different opinon on your precious TV service, for Christ's sake!
Maybe you should use the ignore function, to prevent you from further getting your (TV) panties in a bunch. :p

I don't go to a board to RIP people trying to help others or to stir the pot.

You're doing a FINE job doing it yourself... :p

And, the fact that some posters DO agree with what I said, vindicates me right there... :D

Last edited:
Uh, excuse me, but I've been a (full) D* sub non-stop since 1998, so I have NO idea how me, daring to suggest switching to another provider, after ALL these years, is "jumping around", but whatever conclusions you're drawing, I could care less.

Well BULLY for you - so I guess that means the rest of the world (or at least this board anyway) should be too, right? :rolleyes:

Again, bully for you - for MY needs, there's more than I care to keep having to watch in compressed SD any longer

Oh really, where DID I say that - you might want to check those glasses of yours... :p
I believe I said that ALL 3 other competitors DO offer the specific channels I WAS looking for

See above answer

See above answer

Well GUESS WHAT - I'll CONTINUE to post WHAT I WANT & WHEN I WANT here, just as I ALWAYS have, & with NO regard of what YOU want!
Got a problem with it - go to one of the mods & see if they'll act on your request; let us know how that works out for you... :D

Hmm, I think my many posts over the years of helping people speaks for itself - I can't help it if YOU can't (obviously) handle someone with a different opinon on your precious TV service, for Christ's sake!
Maybe you should use the ignore function, to prevent you from further getting your (TV) panties in a bunch. :p

You're doing a FINE job doing it yourself... :p

And, the fact that some posters DO agree with what I said, vindicates me right there... :D

Your amazing , you bitch that D* is not giving you the channels you want, but then turn around and say that all three providers DO ?

Where did I EVER say that you should be happy with what I want in programming ?

I have NEVER said that.

I always point people to go with the provider that has the programming that they want.

Your the one that decided to turn this into a bitch fest.

What does any of this have to do with possibly dropping the Golf Channel ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)