HELP! What equipment would I need???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pickle3808

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Hi. Looking for a little help.

I would like to know what equipment I would need. I live in the Boston area. Should I get a Slimline dish with the 3LNB or the 5LNB? Is the 5LNB overkill? Do I need that for my locals or would the 3LNB cover it? Would I be missing anything if I didn't get the 5LNB? From what I understand, using the 3LNB means I will not receive the 110 and 119 sats. Do I want those? I know sometimes HD and SD locals are carried on different sats. I plan on having (for now anyways) an HD DVR box and a standard (not HD) box. So I need both HD and SD locals.

Also, is the SWM Slimline the way to go? The way I understand it is that the obvious benefit is that you only need to run 1 coax from the dish and can split that for 8 separate tuners. Of course, with the SWM you have to use the appropriate splitters and the power inserter. Do you only have to run ONE coax to an HD-DVR (HR24)? Does the box split the signal to both tuners internally or do I have to use both inputs on the back?

Is there a downside to the SWM Slimline at all?

The power inserter can be connected in-line right? It does not need it's own port on a splitter?

Sorry for the stupid questions :confused:. Any help appreciated!

If you want to upgrade to HD you will need to call DTV and they will set up a time for a installer to come out and do the installation. They will provide you the equipment you will need to use.

I would like to know what equipment I would need. I live in the Boston area. Should I get a Slimline dish with the 3LNB or the 5LNB? Is the 5LNB overkill? Do I need that for my locals or would the 3LNB cover it? Would I be missing anything if I didn't get the 5LNB? From what I understand, using the 3LNB means I will not receive the 110 and 119 sats. Do I want those? I know sometimes HD and SD locals are carried on different sats. I plan on having (for now anyways) an HD DVR box and a standard (not HD) box. So I need both HD and SD locals.
Boston locals are on 101 (SD) and either 99 or 103 for HD. SO the SWM3 LNB will be fine. Most major market locals are on 101 so the SD box can still get those
110 is not used at all right now
119 has some smaller market locals in SD and Spanish channels. Unless you sub to a Spanish package the 3LNB will be fine

Also, is the SWM Slimline the way to go? The way I understand it is that the obvious benefit is that you only need to run 1 coax from the dish and can split that for 8 separate tuners. Of course, with the SWM you have to use the appropriate splitters and the power inserter. Do you only have to run ONE coax to an HD-DVR (HR24)? Does the box split the signal to both tuners internally or do I have to use both inputs on the back?
one cable from the splitter to the receiver. I just upgraded yesterday and its one cable from the splitter to each tuner regardless of how many it has. But note that on the splitter each port counts as a tuner. So even though I have 3 coax's coming off the splitter it counts as 5 tuners (2 DVR's 1 HD receiver)

Is there a downside to the SWM Slimline at all?
it has to be plugged in..and if the power goes out and you have the TV's on a UPS it wont work unless the power pack is too. Thats about all I can think of :)
possibly something else to fail versus having straight shot connections from the LNB to the receiver

The power inserter can be connected in-line right? It does not need it's own port on a splitter?

correct

LNB--coax cable to----power pack---coax to---swm splitter---outputs to receivers

get both hd boxes. it will save for the future upgrade
you can hook it up to an sd tv via rf modulator box. i h ave this
and might was well ad mrv while your at it

get everything you want now if possible. it will save for the long run

get everything you want now if possible. it will save for the long run

heh I learned that the hard way. When I signed up in Feb I got just a SD DVR.....2 months later I wanted HD and it was going to be way too much to upgrade...When I upgraded yesterday it was way less than before :)
(but not as cheap as if I started with it)

The OP would need the SL5 for the SonicTap Music Channels that are on the 119 unless that's recently changed. I can't recall the list but I think there are about 20? music channels on the 119 .

If I am not mistaken the HD regional feeds are also on 119, e:mad:Fox-ChicagoHD, CBS and NBC HD's in other bigger metro areas, etc)

If I am not mistaken the HD regional feeds are also on 119, e:mad:Fox-ChicagoHD, CBS and NBC HD's in other bigger metro areas, etc)

huh?
The only locals on 119 are what D* considered "smaller" markets. All HD is on 99 & 103. The OP said Boston which is on 101 for SD and 99W for HD

Wondering also how my equipment/setup may be affected when I go for my 3rd HD DVR STB. I currently have 2 HR21-100's and a slimline-5 dish. I have mrv, but receivers are direct wired by me. Current programming is PLUS HD DVR, and not sure if adding new equipment and entering a new 24 month commitment (currently out of commitment) will force me to change to a current programming package. I get NFLST every year, and have HBO. Other than that I rarely rent movies from D*, but do autopay my bill. Wondering what kind of deal I may or may not get when I call to add another HD DVR, and if I will need SWM set up or not. Any one with comment................I am all ears.

Thanks in advance

heh I learned that the hard way. When I signed up in Feb I got just a SD DVR.....2 months later I wanted HD and it was going to be way too much to upgrade...When I upgraded yesterday it was way less than before :)
(but not as cheap as if I started with it)

Not to hijack the OP thread but, did you have to pay full price ($199) for the HD DVRs?

Well well, maybe I can back up my statement with real info instead of guesswork. I did an upgrade bout 3 months ago for an older couple that had an 18in odu with multisat. and an old standard ird. It was a swm 16 job with 9 boxes (which is why i remember so vividly. The work order called for a swm 3 lnb and hr24s/h24s. Before leaving the customer became confused as to why he wasn't getting ALL the HD channels. He especially wanted the regional feeds in HD. I called D and was informed that if he wanted the Regional feeds in HD he needed a SWM 5 or SLM 5....

Not to hijack the OP thread but, did you have to pay full price ($199) for the HD DVRs?
no...but let me explain

They installed a R15 at initial install in February. About a month later I bought (well leased) a R22 for like $75 from a retailer and sent back the R15. In September found a R15 at goodwill for $5 so hooked that up and used as a backup (when too many things needed to be recorded). In November it died so D* sent me a replacement for free...and it ended up being another R22 (stonecold is still shocked I have 2 R22's and gives me crap about that). If you dont know the R22 can be used as a SD or HD DVR and are pretty rare. If you have a HD receiver on the account, HD is turned on those. If not then its SD only. Its basically a HR21 that can be used as SD if needed.

So when I got my HD setup I paid $99 for a HD receiver and install. That went in the bedroom and the 2 R22's the HD was added automatically. :)

Well well, maybe I can back up my statement with real info instead of guesswork. I did an upgrade bout 3 months ago for an older couple that had an 18in odu with multisat. and an old standard ird. It was a swm 16 job with 9 boxes (which is why i remember so vividly. The work order called for a swm 3 lnb and hr24s/h24s. Before leaving the customer became confused as to why he wasn't getting ALL the HD channels. He especially wanted the regional feeds in HD. I called D and was informed that if he wanted the Regional feeds in HD he needed a SWM 5 or SLM 5....

I dont get the term "regional feeds". The list that shows where every channel is located I'll post here. When I look at 119 there are 2 HD channels on it
Mega HD
Telefutura West HD

Both require the Spanish pack which would automatically trigger a 5 LNB dish. All other HD is on 99 or 103.

Attachments

• TPN_MAP_101111.xls
    581 KB · Views: 136
no...but let me explain

They installed a R15 at initial install in February. About a month later I bought (well leased) a R22 for like $75 from a retailer and sent back the R15. In September found a R15 at goodwill for $5 so hooked that up and used as a backup (when too many things needed to be recorded). In November it died so D* sent me a replacement for free...and it ended up being another R22 (stonecold is still shocked I have 2 R22's and gives me crap about that). If you dont know the R22 can be used as a SD or HD DVR and are pretty rare. If you have a HD receiver on the account, HD is turned on those. If not then its SD only. Its basically a HR21 that can be used as SD if needed.

So when I got my HD setup I paid $99 for a HD receiver and install. That went in the bedroom and the 2 R22's the HD was added automatically. :)

That's some wheeling and dealing there. If equipment now is all leased, how were you able to get a $5 goodwill receiver? The previous owner didn't have to send that back?

There are alot of "owned" R15's out there. When I got it, Stonecold verified (as did the acct rep) that it was not leased.

To top it off, they added it to the acct when I said not yet (I had to run some wires). So when I actually hooked it up the card said "not available 721". Called D* and they resent the signal on the old card (saving me $20) :)

Sounds like you have had quite a string of luck. Have you considered looking for wallets in the street? :)

Guesswork? Who is guessing? You don't know where the feeds are coming from, we do. You were given wrong information. That's not guesswork. That's a fact.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)