Aiming BEV - New York

zeromeg

Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
NY
Looking to verify the correct elevation, skew, etc for a Candian Bell ExpressVu Dual LNB dish. The old single LNB parabola ripped off the dish during a storm and the new dish/receiver is HD. Using SW21, etc...

Also, Using a SatHawk. From what I understand I should use Nimiq 1 and 3 to test and direct not through the SW21...

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Update

Got it working... The issues were as follows:

In looking up the settings I got three setting variations using various sites:

205.1145/39.77418/100.6
192.188611/42.201281/100.6
198.62/40.97/100.6

I figured roughly 206/40/100 would do the trick and I got SS but not PQ on 91. Got 82... I also got DirecTV coming in well...

I was told by folks to just adjust up but couldn't get anything... I went from 40 all the way up and nothing. Was then told oh move to like 196, 96 and 42, then 44, then 48. Again, I swept the sky at 30-48 and couldn't get the right satellites...

Out of frustration I moved the dish more like say Azimuth 180 with 96-100 skew and had the elevation way up and my SatHawk blipped as I did. I set to about 50 elevation and it found 91 and had high PQ and then I tuned it in for SS.... Nobody had me anywhere near this... And the original dish (lost in a storm) was more in line with what info the sites gave me...

So for NYC you get signal pointed where you think it should be from everything you are told but it will be really reading EchoStar really well and you do need to go higher but also drastically more east than DirecTV.

I was able to lock it with 96 SS and 99 PQ on 91. 82 was not nearly as good SS but everything worked.

Hi there!!!

intreasting post. i was wondering if i can get help catching 82. i am able to catch 91 but not 82. can you shed some light on what dish size i should be using in new york?

hi,
thanks for your input, i had tried
from
Latitude: 40.6435°
Longitude: -74.0153°

Elevation: 41.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 211.9°
Dish Skew : 100.6°

but only getting 91 and not 82. i will try again tomorrow.

Please post your results if you are able to get Nimiq 4 (82w) from New York City, including what size dish you used...

I'm in Northern New Jersey and canceled my BEV sub because I couldn't get anything from 82 once Nimiq4 went live.

That is interesting as guys in MA, PA and TN have been able to get 82W ok. I am in Northern Alabama and get a signal of 41-50 on most TPs. You would think approx. 400 miles North would not be a problem.

Where in NJ and what size dish?

Southern Morris County with a 20" dish. It just wasn't worth trying new dishes and everything else it would have taken to get that signal back.

I get all the hockey I can handle now with DirecTV in HD which was the primary reason for me getting the BEV system in the first place.

Hi guys,

i tried with 20" dish and 36" directv world direct dish, but no luck. i am only getting only 91 :(

for 36" dish i use this settings Ele: 40 Az: 206 and skew 71 but no luck i am only getting 91 :(

if anyone is successful arould newyork please post what dish size and settings.
thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

wanted to share this will all who want to catch 82. i was able to catch 82 with 20" dish 500. i had to remove Y yoke adapter and add single eye lnb bracket adapter and added only one lnb with skew 100 and elev around 46-48 i was able to catch 82 fine.

thanks and good luck.

I'm looking for any updates on this.

Is it possible to get 82W stong enough for 8PSK reception in the NYC metro now?

I know I can't get it with my 20-inch two-LNB ExpressVu dish. I'm getting about 45% signal strength on TP 15 & 16 but I think they're still carrying SD channels. Everything else is showing up zero and my HD channels are gone.

Any hope with a bigger dish?

you need a 30 inch dish in northern nj and nyc im just west of that area 30 and 60 miles... there is even a slight wobble effect this far north but the 30 inch resolves it you just have to take the time to aim the dish correctly and can be very frustating. 20 inch dish will also work but its subject to weather fade and the wobble is effect is enchanced on some transponds will not work at various times thoughout the dat. christ even if you cant get the hd channels the standard digital is awesome. the diverstity of the programming cant be beat on any us system and the only that come even close to bells programming in us is verizon fios..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)