Aiming Dish with Viewsat 5000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

covcomm

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
I am trying to understand what I am seeing. I have a 30" multistar with single universal LNBF. When I go into dish settings I am seeing 92% on top bar and 2 - 4% on bottom quality bar... What mode do I put the receivier in to zero in on a satellite?/

I am trying to understand what I am seeing. I have a 30" multistar with single universal LNBF. When I go into dish settings I am seeing 92% on top bar and 2 - 4% on bottom quality bar... What mode do I put the receivier in to zero in on a satellite?/

The signal bar means you are getting a signal from the LNB. Sounds like that is good. The quality bar is now the one you want to go for. Since you have a quality reading you must be close. You need to tweak the aim of the dish. You should let everyone know what satellite and frequency and SR you are getting this 2-4% quality and, we can help you zone in on that bird.

By the way, are you sure it's a viewsat 5000? I'm not aware of that model

Satellite

I am trying to zero in on 3ABN on AMC4. By watching some of the messages I get the idea this is the best signal to try and zero in AMC4 with...

I am trying to zero in on 3ABN on AMC4. By watching some of the messages I get the idea this is the best signal to try and zero in AMC4 with...

Yes, that should be a good one to try. If your quality is at 2-4 % then you just need to adjust the aim of your dish for best signal. I just checked on mine and I have 86% quality in the midwest.

correction..

Sorry it's a coolsat 5000. What is wierd to me is it does not seem to matter where I point the dish, I get 94+ on the top bar and 2 - 4% on quality.

In the Sat setup menu, list your LNB Settings. Should be "Universal" and LO Low "9750" LO Hi "10600"

Do you have a Motor?

Last edited:
Sorry it's a coolsat 5000. What is wierd to me is it does not seem to matter where I point the dish, I get 94+ on the top bar and 2 - 4% on quality.

Ahh, well if you can point it anywhere and that's happening then it's more than just aiming.

Like Lak7 said it's time to look into your LNB settings and make sure they are correct. At this point we can't even tell if you were pointed at AMC4.

Making more sense...

When I have the settings correct. The signal should drop off unless aimed correctly?

Got It

The elevation markers on the dish were throwing me off. Sat finder says 54.8 and once I found it I was at 62 per the dish...

Thanks for the help...

Yes... AMC 4. Watching Fox News right now.... Now I need to get a motor. This is cool....

The stamped dish elevation scales are often off (sometimes by as much as 5-10 degrees!). They only help you to get somewhere in the ballpark, and often throw people off. The only dishes I've consistently found with correct stamped elevation marks are the Channel Masters (Primestars). The Azure Shine dishes, such as the ones being sold by SatelliteAV and 3ABN, are pretty close to accurate as well...

LOL... I am hooked. I have a clear view to the south with no obstructions until you get down by horizon, neighbor houses etc.. I have a 50' gas pipe line easment behind me so that is why I have a clear shot....

I have a second dish and slnb I picked up off craigslist for 15.00. It is the project for tomorrow. Sometime this week I am going to go and pull down an 8' and 10' that have been given to me....

Thanks for the help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts