• More than 2 degrees

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

emice

Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
So I've been reading here and there about satellite for a few years, but just purchased my first setup. I bought a Winegard 2076 + SG2100 + Invacom QPH-031 combo through ebay and am trying to get it set up. I've run into a couple difficulties, first that the angle finder I got seems to be off, but I think I've got that figured out, but another issue is that the Winegard dish's elevation scale seems to wayyyy off, so I am trying to figure out the calculations to set this thing up with just an angle finder.

Mounting the the pole plumb was a painstaking effort because the Johnson angle finder I bought (also from ebay) seems to be 1.5 degrees off. When I adjusted the pole's plumbness by making sure one side of the pole measured @ 90 degrees, the opposite side would be off just a bit, so I kept tweaking till opposite sides of the pole gave me the same reading, 91.5 degrees. I think I read a post a while back while researching that the Johnson angle finder is off by a degree or so. If anybody else has had this problem, please let it be known.

The problem I am having now is that the Winegard 2076 I got seems to have had the elevation scale shifted towards the front of the dish so that it is no longer accurate, only going down to only 26 degrees or so, even w/ the bottom lnb arm bolt reversed. Since I don't trust the gauge on the dish I want to try and set its elevation as well as the motor pole's using just an angle finder, skipping the gauge on the Winegard all together.

Now I've read that the sg2100 motor adds 30 degrees but when I measured it after setting the latitude, it was more like 19 degrees (compensating -1.5 degrees for error). My true south satellite SBS6 is at azimuth 180.3 degrees and requires the dish gauge be set at an elevation of 42.6 when not considering the motor. So I'm thinking 42.6 minus 19 should be the dish elevation with the motor in line, since when pointing to true south the dish still must hit the same elevation, only compensating for what the motor adds - this works out to a dish elevation of 23.6. But since this is a Ku Offset dish, 23.6 is the reading on the dish angle bracket I should be looking for, not what I want to see on the angle finder. According to to Winegard the DS-2076 is offset by 24 degrees, so if the angle finder reads 0 degrees when placed on the straight back arm of the dish, it is really receiving from an elevation of 24 degrees. So I take 23.6 and subtract 24 to get the angle I should look for on the angle finder, which works out to -0.4. Since the dish is on the motor pole, the motor pole's elevation will also sum up on the angle finder reading, so I add the 19 degrees to the elevation I expect to see when measuring from the dish. 19 + (-0.4) = 18.6 degree reading from the back arm of the dish when hanging off the motor.

----------------

Here are some of my calculations -

motor pipe elevation = 42.6 (elevation for sbs6, my true south @ 180.3 azimuth) - 23.6 (dish elevtion w/ motor according to sg2100 manual) = 19 (just what I measured after setting the latitude on the motor gauge)

dish elevation (setting using the dish scale) = 30 (motor pipe angle) - 6.4 (declination) = 23.6

dish elevation (using angle finder, sat mounted on a plumb pole) = 30 (motor pipe angle) - 6.4 (declination) - 24 (ku dish offset) = -0.4
.....also....
dish elevation (using angle finder, sat mounted on a plumb pole) = 42.6 (elevation for sbs6, my true south @ 180.3 azimuth) - 19 (I measured after setting the latitude on the motor gauge) - 24 (ku dish offset) = -0.4

The two different ways of calculating the elevation of the dish agree, which makes me more confident, because I am not sure how the 30 degree motor pipe angle and declination calculation work - the second is easier for me to understand.

finally...

dish elevation (using angle finder, sat mounted on motor mount) = 30 (motor pipe angle) - 6.4 (declination) - 24 (dish offset) + 19 (motor pipe elev) = 18.6

Does this sound right? Tommorow I will go back up on the roof and tweak until the angle finder tells me the dish is @ ~18.6 degrees while on the motor mount, and just hope it works.

Make SURE you use the RED mark on the Winegard dish to set the elevation!

Attachments

• Pict0134.JPG
    Pict0134.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Pict0135.JPG
    Pict0135.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 193
Very interesting.. I don't think I noticed the red mark on my dish, and the 1 page of documentation it came with I don't think mentioned it. I was trying to center the reading on the bolt instead. The gauge in that pic looks to be stamped in the same position as mine also, so it probably isn't off as I thought, which is good news.

I think I'll still have some trouble though, since I overtightened the motor bolts and bent the pole 1/4" out of shape!! Gahh.. So I will try and rotate the motor 90 degrees and tighten till the pole is back in shape, but after painstakingly making sure the pole was plumb it it is kind of annoying to have to deal with it being bent out of shape. I also bent the pole with the motor at the wrong position, because forgot to take into account magnetic deviation when pointing south, so it is bent at an awkward spot. Ahh well, live and learn. I just hope it won't throw off my tracking too much. Thanks for the help, I'll post an update later.

Ok, well I found the red mark, aligned everything as directed and am searching for my true south, SBS6. I am located in White Plains, NY @ 41.0, -73.8. I had to the tweak the dish a little to the right after roughing it with a coleman compass, but now I get a squealing sound coming from my sf-95 sat meter that fades as i bend the dish in any direction. I've checked again with the compass after and it reads that the dish is pointed close to where to should be.

I've got my PC connected via a Twinhan 102g and am running MyTheatre, where I have enabled USALS and entered my coordinates into the config. The motor is positing right near 0 when I scan SBS so I can only guess it is configured correctly. I've also downloaded the latest SBS6 transponder 2860.ini from joshyfun's site. My lof1/sw/lof2 values are 10750/0/10750 and I am plugged into one of the linear ports of the QPH-031.

Well, scanning SBS6 comes up empty, so now I am a bit stumped. When the satellite rotates from 263 E. to 286 E to scan SBS6, I can hear the signal finder beep a couple times, maybe 3 times, so it sure seems like I am tracking a series of something. Now it moves from 263 E. because earlier I connected this computer to a static dish at a friend's to get IA5, and was able to find channels there and add them to MyTheatre. Those channels are stilled added, so the motor goes back there it seems, after I quit the settings menu or positioner console.

So any advice on what else to try tommorow? Is there a stronger SAT I should try finding instead of SBS6? How can I find out which transponder on SBS6 is the strongest? Should I try changing to a channel on on IA5 since those channels are already listed and then tweak the dish to try and get reception? :confused:

This site has been very helpful, so thanks for the help all.

Here is a good LIVE transponder from SBS6 you can use.......

DFreq. 11741

Pol. H

SR. 6616

ONN

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts