Air Download

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davies_z

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Sir,
What does Air download mean? is it the same as over-the-air download?
Thanks

Software upgrades through RS-232 port and Satellite (Air-download)

Sir,
How does air download through Satellite work?What's the procedure for upgrading software using this method?

it allows you to get the newest software for the receiver. You download it from your computer.

As an example, Satwork has a patch (software update) that allows the unit to scan a little faster.

He's asking about the air download method in particular. I don't know what receiver specifically, but regardless, I personally would not trust that method and would leave it disabled (if you can--and you should be able to). Maybe some content provider has the means of performing the upgrades for a certain receiver but still any upgrade is risky.

If you really want to upgrade your receiver's firmware to a newer legal version, I suggest reading up on the PC-to-xcvr or xcvr-to-xcvr method and follow the directions very closely.

Thanks guys, but why i ask is because I want to get some FTA receivers installed in a rural village and there's no Internet Comnnection available there.I was thinking I could use Air Download to get software upgrade without the Internet.So what i am interested in is this: Does Air Download require you to connect a PC to the receiver or does it provide a way of Software download via satellite directly into your receiver without any external connections through RS-232?
Thanks again

Satellite (Air-download) As said above its unlikely that you will be able to do it as you would have to point at the right satellite and the manufacturer would have uplinking the software to that same satellite, an air down load is used mainly with fixed dish systems as a way to upgrade the software, it is used by DishNetwork, DirecTV, and VoOM satellite services here in the US.

You may be best getting a receiver with the latest software then cloning it to all the others if needed.

davies_z
Are you more concerned about how the people will upgrade their receivers once you are gone?

Your last post led me to believe you will be installing these units in a third world country or possibly at some remote location in the states. When you referenced a "village," I immediately thought of small villiages in Nicaragua, Alaska, etc.

Yes I am more concerned about how the people will upgrade their receivers when I'm gone and its going to be installed in a Rural village in Nigeria.

PSB can correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the receivers can be upgraded using a special cable that connects from a serial port on the computer to the serial port on the receiver. Serial ports have been around for a long time. Any ancient computer should work.

Would it be possible to get an old PC delivered to this area? Updates could be sent to the villiage on a disc when updates are available.

However, I think you will find that the need to update the receivers in the future will not be that important as long as you have the most recent firmware on the receivers prior to delivering the systems.

That's the method I meant above by "PC-to-xcvr". Also most if not all receivers should support cloning (xcvr-to-xcvr) using a similar cable--not quite the same cable since Tx and Rx are crossed at one end.

Sir,
Please on lyngsat.com I saw that some of the channels like God Channel are on C-band.Can a Fortec Ultra receiver receive such stations when you use a Universal LNB/F?

if it is in the clear and you have the right size dish, yes
C-Band needas a minimum of 6 foot dish

davies_z said:
Sir,
Please on lyngsat.com I saw that some of the channels like God Channel are on C-band.Can a Fortec Ultra receiver receive such stations when you use a Universal LNB/F?

A Universal LNB/F is designed to work with Ku band. It will not work for C band signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts