AL EAST 2009

I really respect Bowden alot for his attitude about the situation. It's a tough time to be a pitcher in the Boston organization. There is so much talent and only so many slots available.

Hmmmm, Detroit is looking for a starter, and have a lefty to exchange !
If Bucholz is wanting to pitch, I'm sure we can find a home for him.

Here's an interesting ESPN article on Jason Bay:

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=4259482"]Jason Bay delivering in a big way for Boston Red Sox - ESPN[/ame]

Hmmmm, Detroit is looking for a starter, and have a lefty to exchange !
If Bucholz is wanting to pitch, I'm sure we can find a home for him.

I'm sure it would be no problem finding a home for him. Boston isn't going to even consider it, though, unless there is a huge gain in it for them elsewhere in the lineup.

Smoltz to start next Thursday vs. Nationals

By: Alex Speier

News out of the Red Sox Clubhouse on Tuesday afternoon: John Smoltz will be pitching Wednesday in an abbreviated game for Pawtucket where he will throw three innings, hoping to fine tune his changeup. Clay Buchholz is then scheduled to relieve Smoltz. If all goes well, Smoltz is then scheduled to make his first Major League start of the year next Thursday against the Washinton Nationals.

The Red Sox come into tonight's game at 38-25 and 2 games ahead of the Yankees in the AL East.

The Sox have had the toughest schedule record wise- by a WIDE margin.

Tonight starts the last 25 games before the ASB.

The Sox schedule tonight through the ASB (Home games in CAPS):

FLORIDA (3)
ATLANTA (3)
at Washington (3)
at Atlanta (3)
at Baltimore (3)
SEATTLE (3)
OAKLAND (3)
KANSAS CITY (4)

All of the above teams are currently below .500.

Hopefully the Sox can go 17-8 (or better) through this stretch, and go into the ASB with a very nice record of 55-33.

Ortiz has been hitting over .300 for about two weeks now. This might have been the first game this season in which he had two run producing hits.

Wakefield now projects to 23-8. If he could just do that for five more years in a row, he'd have a shot at making tthe Hall of Fame. Who knows?

539w.jpg

TONIGHT at Fenway Park, the Boston Red Sox will set a remarkable record - 500 consecutive sold-out games

Only three other professional teams in sports history have achieved more, and they were all NBA teams who play shorter seasons in smaller venues.

Boston Red Sox - Another historic day at Fenway - The Boston Globe

Tremendous feat Bill! I knew when your club passed my Indians sell-out streak of 455 they would continue on with the streak as the Red Sox have remained exciting to watch and competitive throughout the period.

:up:up

Before the season started, a lot of people were saying that the streak was history this year, with the economy obviously being the main factor.

Now that we're through April and May, and the Sox are obviously contending, I don't see the streak ending THIS YEAR.

:up:up

Before the season started, a lot of people were saying that the streak was history this year, with the economy obviously being the main factor.

Now that we're through April and May, and the Sox are obviously contending, I don't see the streak ending THIS YEAR.
And, add in the fact that ticket prices were frozen this year, unlike some other nearby teams with fancy brand new stadiums.... :p

Bill you know how much I respect the Red Sox, but I have to say the thing that surprises me most about 500 sellouts is that means seven or so years ago there wasn't a sellout. If you had asked me I honestly would have thought with the size of the building and the popularity of the team, the Red Sox had been selling out for decades.

Sandra

Bill you know how much I respect the Red Sox, but I have to say the thing that surprises me most about 500 sellouts is that means seven or so years ago there wasn't a sellout. If you had asked me I honestly would have thought with the size of the building and the popularity of the team, the Red Sox had been selling out for decades.

Sandra
A few good years strung together do make you forget about empty seats at Fenway. I read an article the other day that the Sox didn't routinely average 30K per game attendance until the 1999 season...

Sandra

It's funny that you bring this up, because last week I was looking at some old box scores (early to mid 90's).

Much to my surprise, there were quite a few April, May and even non-contending September games that drew LESS than 20,000. :eek:

I, like yourself, thought that they banged the old ballyard out every night (maybe not a sellout).

IMO, the BIGGEST difference between now and then ISN'T necessarily the product on the field. Fenway has become a much more fan friendly place to attend a game (although I still want a new ballpark).

My Two Cents on Alex Ovechkin

OK....the kool-aid has worn off....BENCH JaMarcus Russell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts