AL EAST 2009

That is easy to do when your stadium doesn't hold many people. I would bet you would not sell out every game if your stadium held 55k+
They've done this is in an ancient ballpark with terrible sightlines and lots of restricted view seating.

And, if the 38k capacity were the only reason for the streak, why isn't it longer??

That could be said about any of the older ballparks with non-standard configurations, past and present. Hell, in Fenway the "Green Monster" has probably taken away more home runs than it has given....
That would be an interesting stat to look at. I am curious to see how many the wall giveth and the wall taketh away (as Vinny would say). There fly balls that would be outs in other ball parks and HR there, and there are line drives off of the wall that would HRs in other parks and only singles and doubles there.

I can say this though. Hitters who hit the ball to left field more often probably hit for a higher average at Fenway. Even the HRs are are lost due to the wall are still hits. Other balls that maybe outs elsewhere are also hit off or over the wall as well. This will account for more hits than normal.

Doesn't change the fact that the ball would have been foul in every other ball park. :p

What about the opposite like in Oaklands stadium where they have tons of space in foul territory where other parks the balls would have been way foul in the stands.

What about the opposite like in Oaklands stadium where they have tons of space in foul territory where other parks the balls would have been way foul in the stands.
Excellent point. Comparisons between the new and old Yankee stadiums not only point out the differences in overall fence dimensions, but also the fact that less foul territory in the new park is giving hitters extra chances at putting the ball into play.....

Helps out pitchers, that is for sure. Dodgers stadium used to be the same way before they added those extra field level seats. It still does have a lot of foul territory though.

The point I was trying to get at was not to bash on Boston, there stadium, nor there fans. They should be commended for the loyalty. I was just pointing out that each stadium is so much different that it is difficult to compare numbers from one stadium with others. The consecutive sellouts is big, but as far a records go, it doesn't stand up there with others. This is mainly due to the fact that stadiums are so much different. If all stadiums only held 35k fans, then comparing sell outs would be more appropriate.

I can show the stat that the Dodgers have drawn 3 million more times than any other team (by a lot) and did it several times before any other team. It is not fair to compare Dodger stadium's total attendance with that of Fenway because Dodger stadium holds almost 60% more fans. Just as it is not fair single game record at the Collesium because the Collesium holds more than any other stadium.

Nice article for all of our devout Red Sox Nation members:

Passion for Red Sox igniting nationwide - FOX Sports on MSN-

I love seeing such support for the team, but at the same time it bothers me in a way. There are so many "bandwagon" fans out there, and not just when it comes to the Red Sox.
I have been a devout Red Sox fan since I was 12 years old. I sport my gear and cheer for them win or lose. Before 2004, I, personally, knew very very few Red Sox fans, being that I lived in Alabama/Mississippi. But after that WS win in '04 it seems everywhere I would go there was someone sporting a cap or jersey. I just do not like to see someone rooting for the winning team, just because they are the winning team.

I love seeing such support for the team, but at the same time it bothers me in a way. There are so many "bandwagon" fans out there, and not just when it comes to the Red Sox.
I have been a devout Red Sox fan since I was 12 years old. I sport my gear and cheer for them win or lose. Before 2004, I, personally, knew very very few Red Sox fans, being that I lived in Alabama/Mississippi. But after that WS win in '04 it seems everywhere I would go there was someone sporting a cap or jersey. I just do not like to see someone rooting for the winning team, just because they are the winning team.

I live 20 miles south of Boston, and sadly there are plenty of bandwagon fans, even in this neck of the woods.

I've been a Sox fan (and Celtics, Pats and Bruins) through thick and thin since age 9.

I understand. There were mostly closet Angels fans in SoCal prior to 2002. Openly it was a die-hard Dodgers town. My oh my, what a World Series Championship trophy can do to change things!!!! :D

I hope you life-long Sox fans enjoy the article with the good intent in which it was posted.

Not surprisingly, Papi not in the starting lineup at Washington:

RED SOX
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
J.D. Drew, RF
Kevin Youkilis, 1B
Jason Bay, LF
Mike Lowell, 3B
Jason Varitek, C
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Nick Green, SS
Brad Penny, SP

Not surprisingly, Papi not in the starting lineup at Washington:

RED SOX
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
J.D. Drew, RF
Kevin Youkilis, 1B
Jason Bay, LF
Mike Lowell, 3B
Jason Varitek, C
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Nick Green, SS
Brad Penny, SP
Lannan, the Natinals starter tonight is a lefty. Look for Ortiz to start at least one of the two remaining games of the series...

Lannan, the Natinals starter tonight is a lefty. Look for Ortiz to start at least one of the two remaining games of the series...

Lannan is actually better against righties this season. That probably explains why Baldelli isn't in there instead of Ellsbury or Drew.

Interestingly, left-handers have been better against Lannan (.289 average, 1.006 OPS, 7 homers) than right-handers (.242, .649, 4 homers).

However, it does make sense to sit Ortiz tonight, considering that he wasn't going to start all three games anyway.

My Two Cents on Alex Ovechkin

OK....the kool-aid has worn off....BENCH JaMarcus Russell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts