AL EAST 2009

Beckett: ‘I don’t support this at all’
By Rob Bradford
Josh Beckett isn’t happy.
The pitcher learned two days ago that the best resolution he was going to garner from the appeal of his six-game suspension was what was announced Sunday morning — a five-game suspension, which would allow Beckett to pitch next Saturday on six days rest. But because it was what was best for the team — with the club gaining some sort of control over the timing, compared to what could have happened if MLB decided to uphold the six-gamer right before a start, forcing Beckett to potentially miss two starts — the Sox ace accepted the decision.
Here is what Beckett had to say on the matter:
“Everybody has to answer to somebody and my bosses told me this was the best thing for the ballclub. If it was up to me I would have seen let’s go through with this whole thing because I don’t think I deserve even one game. But when your boss tells you something is best for the whole group that’s what we do.”
“I don’t support this at all and if it was up to me we would have went through this whole process. But it could have eventually been a lot worse through the whole thing. Everybody has to answer to somebody. When your boss tells you to do something you obviously want to do what’s best for the whole team.”

“I don’t support this thing because I truly I don’t believe one game. It’s unfortunate but other people don’t always see exactly the same way you do.”
“It’s just frustrating how this whole thing came about. Like I said I don’t support the thing at all. if it wasn’t for them telling me this is what’s best for the ballclub we would still be waiting to hear.”
(Can you use the six days off to your advantage). “Not really. I feel pretty good. I’ll get an extra bullpen in or something”

Beckett: ‘I don’t support this at all’
By Rob Bradford
Josh Beckett isn’t happy.
The pitcher learned two days ago that the best resolution he was going to garner from the appeal of his six-game suspension was what was announced Sunday morning — a five-game suspension, which would allow Beckett to pitch next Saturday on six days rest. But because it was what was best for the team — with the club gaining some sort of control over the timing, compared to what could have happened if MLB decided to uphold the six-gamer right before a start, forcing Beckett to potentially miss two starts — the Sox ace accepted the decision.
Here is what Beckett had to say on the matter:
“Everybody has to answer to somebody and my bosses told me this was the best thing for the ballclub. If it was up to me I would have seen let’s go through with this whole thing because I don’t think I deserve even one game. But when your boss tells you something is best for the whole group that’s what we do.”
“I don’t support this at all and if it was up to me we would have went through this whole process. But it could have eventually been a lot worse through the whole thing. Everybody has to answer to somebody. When your boss tells you to do something you obviously want to do what’s best for the whole team.”

“I don’t support this thing because I truly I don’t believe one game. It’s unfortunate but other people don’t always see exactly the same way you do.”
“It’s just frustrating how this whole thing came about. Like I said I don’t support the thing at all. if it wasn’t for them telling me this is what’s best for the ballclub we would still be waiting to hear.”
(Can you use the six days off to your advantage). “Not really. I feel pretty good. I’ll get an extra bullpen in or something”

This should not be a problem for him missing a game, it's quite simple, he'll go to the bullpen and throw about 70 pitches and get ready for his next start, thuis way his arm thinks he's been in a game and nothing changes.

I agree with his point of fighting it, but seeing it's early in the season the club just wants it behind him.

Personally, I think it's stupid the way the appeal process goes in baseball, he appearently can miss any game he wants, they always try to wait till it's a team they find inviting to miss a start, they appeal it till the proper time comes up and then decide to miss a game.
I think both sides drag thier feet in these cases ... MLB takes it's time, unlike the NFL where an appeal is taken care of in the next 2-3 days.

You should not be able to appeal and keep playing, position players do this all the time.

Tomorrow is a state holiday here in Massachusetts (Patriot's Day), and I will be attending the Orioles-Red Sox game tomorrow morning at 11 AM.

I'll be among a gazillion people in the Fenway/Kenmore Square area during the Sox game and the finish line to the Boston Marathon. :eek:

Have fun buddy. :up

A few side notes:

That new Yankee stadium should be blown up. Besides the fact that the $500-$2500 sections looked half-empty all weekend, the place is like the early days of Coors Field on steroids. There were 20 homers hit in the four game series. 20! That is ridiculous. Of the 20 homers, 14 were hit to right field where a pop-up and a gust of wind will take a ball over the fence. That is a joke.

Said Jensen Lewis of the Posada game-changing homer:
”It was a pop fly. ‘In any other ballpark in the country, that’s an out. It was a good pitch, and he just got it up in the jet stream. I don’t think numbers lie. Balls that are mis-hit go out, and balls that are hit hard go out. I’m ready to leave here.”
Tim McCarver said it best on Saturday’s Fox broadcast -
“If this is happening in April, imagine what it’ll be like in August.”

A few side notes:

That new Yankee stadium should be blown up. Besides the fact that the $500-$2500 sections looked half-empty all weekend, the place is like the early days of Coors Field on steroids. There were 20 homers hit in the four game series. 20! That is ridiculous. Of the 20 homers, 14 were hit to right field where a pop-up and a gust of wind will take a ball over the fence. That is a joke.

Said Jensen Lewis of the Posada game-changing homer: Tim McCarver said it best on Saturday’s Fox broadcast -

Can't wait until the Tiger's get there!:cool:

Tomorrow is a state holiday here in Massachusetts (Patriot's Day), and I will be attending the Orioles-Red Sox game tomorrow morning at 11 AM.

I'll be among a gazillion people in the Fenway/Kenmore Square area during the Sox game and the finish line to the Boston Marathon. :eek:
Bill's seeing a nice game today, 12-1 Sox after 7. :up

Behold the Frankenstein of Boston Sports Tattoos!

Bill or Cosmo, if you're into ink, I'd suggest this one... ;)

Attachments

• bostontattoo.jpg
    bostontattoo.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 85
Bill's seeing a nice game today, 12-1 Sox after 7. :up

Awesome day at the Fens! :up The crowd was really into it as they usually are on Patriots Day.

After watching Masterson today, he's having me rethink my opinion of him being more valuable in the bullpen.

Pedroia and Papi both broke out with big games, and two of my Sat Guys fantasy guys- Ellsbury and Lowell, had good games! :)

Sox now 7-6 after the 2-6 start. The Twins come in for a quick two game series starting tomorrow night, Wakefield and Penny will pitch for the Sox.

Between Drew, Ellsbury, Kotsay and Baldelli, the Red Sox have a very fragile outfield!

Tue, 04/21/2009 - 1:09pm
Report: Bailey recalled to replace injured Baldelli
By: Alex Speier
The Providence Journal is reporting that Red Sox first baseman/outfielder Jeff Bailey will be recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill in for injured outfielder Rocco Baldelli. Baldelli, who had been dealing with soreness in his left leg following a diving attempt to catch a ball last Tuesday in Oakland, felt something grab in his hamstring when he rounded second on a three-base error on Monday.

No surgery for "X"

From NY Daily News:

Yankees outfielder Xavier Nady will not need Tommy John surgery on his injured right elbow.
Xavier Nady will not require Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his injured right elbow, but the outfielder will not return to the lineup for at least another month.
The latest round of test results were examined by noted orthopedist and Angels team physician Dr. Lewis Yocum - the same doc that performed Nady’s elbow surgery more than seven years ago - early on Tuesday, with a diagnosis of a partial ligament tear coming down in the afternoon.
Nady remains on the 15-day disabled list. He is hoping to return in 4-6 weeks.
"Obviously I wanted to avoid surgery if possible," Nady said. "I hope going this route works out."
Nady, who injured his elbow last Tuesday night against the Rays, went through a series of tests during the past week to determine the extent of the injury. Nady said he felt a sharp pain while making a throw in the seventh inning of that game, removing himself from the field after the half-inning was over.
Nady had believed he would require surgery after his first MRI, telling teammates he was headed for an operation that would end his season. Nady underwent Tommy John surgery on the same elbow in Sept. 2001.

Red Sox shortstop Jed Lowrie underwent surgery on his injured left wrist today in Arizona, and with the good news that there was no damage to the cartilage, he is expected to be able to start swinging a bat again in six weeks. For now, he will be in a splint for approximately 10 days, then have his stitches removed.

Lowrie undergoes surgery - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Red Sox shortstop Jed Lowrie underwent surgery on his injured left wrist today in Arizona, and with the good news that there was no damage to the cartilage, he is expected to be able to start swinging a bat again in six weeks. For now, he will be in a splint for approximately 10 days, then have his stitches removed.

Relatively good news there.

I'm not as concerned about shortstop as I was two weeks ago. Lugo looks like he'll be back soon, Nick Green has been a very pleasant surprise, and now Lowrie's prognosis isn't as bad as they were originally saying.

Between Drew, Ellsbury, Kotsay and Baldelli, the Red Sox have a very fragile outfield!QUOTE]

Tell ya what, Bill...you send us some pitchers and we'll send you some outfielders. Then we can swap them back in October when we have to fight each other to death again. ;)

I think someone in the Central will have something to say about that .... hopefully Detroit :D

Jimbo

My Two Cents on Alex Ovechkin

OK....the kool-aid has worn off....BENCH JaMarcus Russell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)