Al Jazeera America $5.00 a la carte ?

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
Is anyone that subscribed to Current TV for 5.00 a la carte now getting AJA? This is to pricey for me I would consider paying 1.50 to 2.00 a month but not 5.00.

No, I never paid $5.00 for current TV either.

No one at dish can give an official answer whether AJA is now a $5.00 a la carte offering. They have not updated this yet.

If so this is an unbelievable markup as it is my understanding that this channel cost to the provider around $0.05 - 0.12.

As I stated I would willing pay 1.50 to 2.00 each a month to add various individual channels. That would still allow the provider to make a 1000% mark up per channel. Since AJA is a new network and is not part of a forced bundler of networks like viacom, time warner, fox, or disney, I would think they could be more agreesive with core package inclusion and/or a la carte pricing.

I'm reading conflicting stories on whether it will be available to us at all.

Why do you need HD for a news channel? Particularly this channel where they hire journalist to present the news and not ex beauty queens and good looking jocks.

I'm reading conflicting stories on whether it will be available to us at all.

I'm not sure if there are long term deals but it is already available in my AT200 package. My hopper guide still lists it as Current TV but if you go to channel 215 it is already Al Jazeera. I watched it this morning while getting ready for work.

My first impression was better than this New Day crap they recently started airing in the mornings on CNN. I used to watch Early Start every morning to get my news. Since they fired all their anchors and started New Day it's all puff pieces, babies, court cases, and celebrity interviews. I feel like I'm watching Good Morning America now.

Why do you need HD for a news channel? Particularly this channel where they hire journalist to present the news and not ex beauty queens and good looking jocks.

I tend to agree. I want everything in HD, but I watch EuroNews everyday and can't say not being in HD is that big a deal. But I also find the SD is better than some other channels. Fox Sports 2 for instance is nowhere near as good SD as EuroNews.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good thread. The other thread about this channel was already closed and now this one probably will be too. You don't like the channel? Don't watch it. You don't want to pay for it? Too bad it's part of Dish's lineup now.

Now please stay out of this thread so people who want information on it can find it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I cleaned it up, but dont let it happen again. I don't like giving people vacations other then free cruises.

Please remember the site rules so you don't get banned.

Thank you!

I've watched this "Americanized" version of Al Jazeera for a couple of days now. I liked AJE better. But this is better than anything the US News Nets offer. No fluff, no celebrity news, but there is that stupid banter among the anchors. Tony Snow getting chummy with the Sports guy today. Leave that for CNN guys.

I've watched this "Americanized" version of Al Jazeera for a couple of days now. I liked AJE better. But this is better than anything the US News Nets offer. No fluff, no celebrity news, but there is that stupid banter among the anchors. Tony Snow getting chummy with the Sports guy today. Leave that for CNN guys.

I never saw the old version because I don't have a FTA setup. I do like their morning news better than the CNN news I was watching every morning so far though. No matter what you think of the normal cable news channels' politics or Al Jazeera's it seems pretty clear that they are putting more focus on news and less on celebrities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So far pretty good journalism. No anti :usa slant. And no coverage of celebs such as the Kartrashians :clap.

So I added "Current TV" a la carte for $5.00 to my dish account and it turned on channel 215, really AJAm since Tuesday.

I wanted to make sure should this a la carte option be pulled when dish officially changes the name to AJAm (what's taking them so long) that I would be grandfathered.

During some overnight periods AJAm is simulcasting live AJE news.

As far as video quality thru channel 215 the graphics are cut off on the right and left.

Reportedly the source feed is actually MPEG4 16:9 HD from 131 west C band.

So there seems to be an aspect ratio downconversion problem at dish.

I see France24 has replaced Al Jazeera on FSTV and LINK. EuroNews is better, but France24 is a decent way to get World/European news and it's free.

Won't watch it and blocked it on my receivers and I sure wouldn't pay $5.00 for it or its former name Current tv. It is crappy sd video quality.