Al Jazeera English $

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Al Jazeera English Will No Longer Be Available In U.S. When Al Jazeera America Launches

http://www.globecastwtv.com/America/WhatsOnWTV/Channel.aspx?ChannelId=6

NEW YORK -- When Al Jazeera America launches in a few weeks, U.S. fans of Al Jazeera English who currently watch it livestreamed online or on cable will no longer be able to.
"The Al Jazeera English stream will no longer be available in the U.S. as soon as Al Jazeera America goes live," an Al Jazeera America spokeswoman told HuffPost on Friday, confirming news first reported Thursday night by Max Blumenthal on the website Mondoweiss.
The spokeswoman also said Al Jazeera English will no longer be available on TV in cable markets where the network has made deals with local channels, such as in New York City.
Cable distributors frown upon networks livestreaming their broadcasts and it was reported when Al Jazeera purchased Current TV in January that the forthcoming, U.S.-based network Al Jazeera America would not be available for free online. The Wall Street Journal reported on plans to stop streaming Al Jazeera English online in the U.S. as well when Al Jazeera America launched in April. But when that launch was delayed until Aug. 20, it was no longer clear whether executives still planned to cut the livestream for the Doha-based Al Jazeera English, a go-to destination for U.S. viewers craving international news.
While it had initially been reported that roughly 40 percent of Al Jazeera America's programming would originate from Al Jazeera English, that's no longer the case as the Aug. 20 launch approaches. Each network will have its own programs, hosts and White House correspondents, and they have different focuses as well. The American network, which has a number of former CNN stars and executives on staff, will cater to an American audience, while the English-language network should remain geared toward an international, English-speaking viewership.
The issue of ending the broadcast of Al Jazeera English in the U.S. has been source of tension within the organization. Al Jazeera host Marwan Bishara raised concerns in an internal email, along with worries that Al Jazeera America would be less hard-hitting journalistically than the Arabic and English networks.
"Does the fear of contractual obligations with carriers etc. mean it's necessary for some to do whatever they want with Aljazeera, including banning AJE altogether from America and web livestream,” Bishara asked executives in the email obtained by The Guardian.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-livestream-al-jazeera-america_n_3697041.html

I would bet this is all from passed carriage agreements that current TV made.

This is not good, AJE has been one of my favorite channels for international news.
Sounds like if they do not make arrangements for uplinking with a non-US company, then they´re out of the picture in North America.
What will happen with their C band feed on 58w, with Intelsat ? :confused:
If AJE stays there maybe I´ll need to look into that option.

Disgusting to see Al Jazeera cave to corporate America like this.

They will regret this. Cable television is a dying business. Al Jazeera just decided to leave the way of the future in order to get on board a sinking ship.

Looks like VPNs and pirated streams it is... that is, if they still have anything worth viewing after this.

Do they really think that people will request Al Jazeera America to their cable operators ? :D

Al Jazeera’s decision to sever Americans from its free English stream would be disappointing — especially for those who don’t have access to cable or satellite TV — but it would not be unexpected. Though the stream could still be viewed in the United States with the help of a VPN service, most Americans who want to watch the channel will probably request it from their cable or satellite operator — and that’s just what Al Jazeera is hoping, especially after some companies like Time Warner Cable threatened to drop the channel before it even launched.

http://thedesk.matthewkeys.net/2013/08/02/report-al-jazeera-to-block-english-stream-in-the-u-s/

In my case at least I will be able to watch on internet, since I´m not in the US, but nonetheless, it´s sad to see they stop airing what has become a recognized international news channel, replacing it with a different concept that will face challenges in the US market.

Last edited:
Another independent voice muted.
I don't think AJA will be worth watching. Just another CNN or any other domestically produced program. AJE, if it keeps it's independence and current programming, probably would be worth it.
[paragraph deleted]
Even if considered slanted to a mid-east outlook, isn't it beneficial to know what their outlook is? Or did we also elect the ID10T's on 'the hill' to make that determination for us?
[paragraph deleted]
I can see no reason other than to "cave to corporate America" and/or political reasons.
Good luck

Go Time Warner.

I can't find this link over at Aljazeera.com, can you?

"If you have a comment, suggestion, complaint or praise regarding Al Jazeera English or any of our programmes, we use this information to help us provide a better service to you so please click on the Send Your Feedback link at the top of the page."

Go Time Warner.

"If you have a comment, suggestion, complaint or praise regarding Al Jazeera English or any of our programmes, we use this information to help us provide a better service to you so please click on the Send Your Feedback link at the top of the page."

Go Time Warner.

Have to go to this link http://www.aljazeera.net/portal to find the feedback link... :rolleyes:

http://www.aljazeera.net/portal : I don't speak or read Arabic.
Quoted from:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/04/us-currentv-aljazeera-idUSBRE90301I20130104
Al Jazeera has been trying to break into the U.S. cable market for years, but the network has so far failed to gain significant distribution largelyfor political reasons. The Pan-Arab network had been viewed by many as being anti-American particularly at the height of the U.S. War in Iraq.
Confirmation, Thought so.
?[paragraph deleted]

I like to watch al Jazeera on 58w because my other favorite channel is nhk japan is on 58w. hope that is not going away. I do like their documentaries and news on global events. however, those who control the media are determining what we are fed. charlie

It's pretty sad when even the company's own employees think they're making a stupid move. Of course, I doubt that said employees will put their money where their mouth is...

It would be nice if somebody overseas would put up a free server for Americans to watch the online stream. Paying for a VPN to watch something that's itself free is stupid.

If I had Google Fiber I'd set up my own server to get around this silly little blocking.

I think this is what these companies have to fear - widespread fiber optics among the population. Would make it trivial to re-broadcast their content to each other.

What's the point of having a fast connection if you can't do anything interesting with it?

NEW YORK -- When Al Jazeera America launches in a few weeks, U.S. fans of Al Jazeera English will no longer be able to.
"The Al Jazeera English stream will no longer be available in the U.S. as soon as Al Jazeera America goes live," an Al Jazeera America spokeswoman told HuffPost on Friday, confirming news first reported Thursday night by Max Blumenthal

Appears that this may be the last week to view Al Jezeera on Galaxy 19 ku.

Aljazeera America is currently encrypted on AMC 11 at 3910 V 5/6 13200 DVB-S2/8PSK

Globecast World TV announces a change to Al Jezeera English.

“Al Jazeera English has moved to a NEW channel location. Please tune in to CH 4010 to view Al Jazeera English. NOTE: AL JAZEERA WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE ON WORLDTV AFTER AUGUST 8TH.”

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts