Al Jazeera English $

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's not such a crazy marketing scheme. Software companies do this. Offer your product free until you gain a loyal following, and then start charging a fee. It helps you stand out in a world with too many products and too few customers, and let's customers see the value of your product first-hand.

if there is enough interest hackers will go at it, if it is viaccess encrypted.
One would think a news channel would want to be FTA

Hmm, it doesn't look good for AJE, but let's see what happens after August 8.

"Not available in the U.S." doesn't mean it won't be viewable on FTA. A lot of what can be seen on FTA isn't available in the U.S. -- a definition that typically means on cable TV.

Although the Globecast announcement is worrying. What is channel 4010? And does that mean it won't be available as part of the Globecast platform, or on 97W at all? A lot of those channels are not World TV channels.

I think it just means that Globecast had shifted their channel lineup a month or so ago, but immediately had to add another announcement that AJE is now going off the air. As Globecast provides some of the content on 97W, including AJE, I think this means that AJE is leaving 97W. Yes, they could find another distributor to uplink their signal, but as it seems they are also going to block U.S. viewers (I don't know about Canadian viewers) from accessing AJE streaming, to me it doesn't seem likely -- at least at this point -- that they would contract out with another distributor. They seem really set on launching AJ America and closing off AJE to US viewers.

As an article mentioned, blocking Al Jazeera English in the US has to do with restrictions imposed by cable carriers.

"Because of restrictions imposed by cable providers, AJAM and AJE will both be unavailable to online viewers in the United States."

I agree that the "strategy" sounds like completely blocking US viewers to the possibility of watching Al Jazeera English, in the hopes of what ? creating interest in Al Jazeera America, or eliminating Al Jazeera English as a competitor to Al Jazeera America mmm??''

However AJAM has already all the looks of being a different thing than AJE, for starters AJAM will have many familiar faces of people who have been in the past in CNN, ABC; etc.

As AJE is pulled down from 97w, AJE does not only lose FTA US viewers but also FTA viewers in Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
:(

Well it looks like we're about to lose another channel then. My Roku and OTA is looking better as my FTA is going downhill faster than one can say "going to fiber" or "scrambled"

Going to lose it on the Roku also if the "geoblocked" to N.A. is also true. I don't want another 'americanized' news source. There's too many of them already. Barely watch any of them for it's usually a short piece covering international news, then an hour of their take on it or 'and now it's the Hollywood hour'.
?

From the sounds of it: appears that they will do away with online FTA of this channel as well.
Not good as they are dumming it down to the same crap "no" news that is here already!
Sure glad I have a couple Canadian news channels that still report the news instead of trying to make it up as they go along.
That added to the fact it is encrypted on AMC-11 means a loss of viewership but the cable co's demand that these days for the sake of the almighty $$$.

I agree with above comments.

When Iranian Press TV was ditched from satellites in our hemisphere, I thought that´s bad, but I can live with it, since my main source of international news is Al Jazeera, but now this...I don´t like it a bit.

Sucks to lose any FTA channel, and I definitely disagree with any cencorship, but is their website also going to be blocked somehow?

If not, their brand of propaganda should still be easily accessible, just like the other slanted mouthpieces (aka...ABC, BBC, CBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, RT...etc.)

I imagine it would be like trying to watch DW or BBC streaming online. You can access the website, but the actual live video will display a message along the lines of, "Sorry, but streaming is not available in your country at the moment."

I imagine it would be like trying to watch DW or BBC streaming online. You can access the website, but the actual live video will display a message along the lines of, "Sorry, but streaming is not available in your country at the moment."

That's kinda what I figured.

So hopefully, if the website is still accessible, even though there may be a delay, a lot (most) of the news content should still be available in one form or another.

Quoting from article below:

"Al Jazeera America sets its own course.
The problem is it’s not clear that anyone will watch
The news channel also hasn’t done much to drum up interest in advance of the Aug. 20 launch — beyond a few press releases, there’s been scant promotion; an executive management team has only recently been brought on; and the on-air hires aren’t exactly households names to most Americans.

“Despite what they may say, there is no expectation that they’re going to make a profit. They just want to be noticed.”
If the audience for a channel like Al Jazeera America does exist, AJAM so far has done little to court it.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/al-jazeera-america-sets-own-course-95144.html#ixzz2b8EGxaDb

Absolutely horrible news! AlJazeera was one of the main reasons I got involved with FTA and was my main source of TV news and 58W isn't really an option due to the low elevation angle out on the WestCoast. Hopefully the Internet stream won't be geoblocked here in Canada.

Does anyone have contact info for AlJazeera English? I'd like to make my opinions known to them.

Also any news on weather the new AlJazeera America will be FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts