Al Jezerra English NEWS

Status
Please reply by conversation.
is it worth it to get breaking international news 24/7 ? Also do you all see a big come back to FTA since cable and paid satellite keeps going up and up $$$

How important is it to you? There is certainly a growing interest in FTA. In my case it is not a replacement for cable or OTA.

There are 5 international news channels in English on 97w KU. AJ is one of the better international news services. Ebru also has a good news hour. PBS has the BBC and News Hour.

or if you have a good internet connection get a roku.....lots of news channels on there (including AJE)

I live in the "sticks" and use excede for internet so that is a no go. Yeah I just wish I could pick up my locals on OTA then I would get rid of dish network altogether.

I am very comfortable recommending the package you listed above.
It'll do exactly what you want and more, even just on 97w.
Get it up and running, read the forum here to get more general knowledge, then...

I live in the "sticks" and use excede for internet so that is a no go.
Yeah I just wish I could pick up my locals on OTA then I would get rid of dish network altogether.
Can't get YOUR locals, but what about some network programming?
If that interests ya, we can help make it happen on C band.
Could be very attractive, if it'll let you drop your DishNet service. ;)
Cost would ge just a few months service, some work, and getting you educated.

I don't know I am pretty dumb when it comes to all of this so attempting c-band would be hard and plus would cost quite a bit

KG4KBU said:
is this news channel on KU band in HD and this setup will work for it ? http://www.satelliteav.com/shop/?ws_cat=413

Yes it's worth it. You can go super cheap and get it for under $50. Here's what you do get on CL and buy an old MPEG2 STB for $10 get a used dish 76cm or 90cm off CL too order a new lnbf. Downfall may not happen overnight.

Or buy new system. Downfall costs more but you get dvb-s2.

I don't know I am pretty dumb when it comes to all of this so attempting c-band would be hard and plus would cost quite a bit
Im just saying there could be a growth path for the future.
By all means start out simple, get it going, and get comfortable.

Then to add C band for networks, could be relatively inexpensive.
$50 is possible, and if you tried to spend over $250, we'd slap you. :)
The question is: what do you spend monthly on your subscription satellite?

And as another alternative, we might have some $50-150 ideas to actuallly get your OTA signals. :)

If you are in an area with limited Internet access, can't get OTA, and can't afford the rising costs of pay satellite, then I think an FTA Ku-band system makes sense for you and will definitely pay for itself quickly. As Anole said, C-band would be heaven, but I know that's intimidating at first! I'd also window shop for a motor that will allow you to move between, say, Ebru TV and Al Jazeera on 97W over to PBS on 125W or Louisiana PBS on 87W. It'd also allow you the option pick up the wild news and sports feeds on the other satellites, too. It's complicated to set up a motor for a beginner, so just keep in mind for now -- but I bet you'll want one in the future.

I don't know I am pretty dumb when it comes to all of this - -
So were most of us. But we learn through questions here. There's a wealth of knowledge to be 'probed'.
so attempting c-band would be hard - -
There's the knowledge here, to talk you through it. Once you get going, it becomes easier and easier, almost 'second nature'. Crescent wrench, pliers, ratchet set is about all that's necessary to dis/assemble most BUDs.
and plus would cost quite a bit
You've got most of what you need ordered already. To add C band only requires a dish, LNBF, and a switch. The dish may be obtainable for nothing more than your labor. Keep an eye on this thread: More Craigslist dishes for your perusal Also an eye out while traveling around your own area. They are still out there. Check your local paper. Ebay clasifieds (Formerly Kijiji for the US) and maybe freecycle also.

But hey, Get the Ku up now. We'll wait for your 'thirst' for more to arrive.

And seeing how you are a radio HAM you do have technical expertise! Make sure you also use good quality RG-6 cable and get yourself tools to install compression connectors. Keep everthing neat and tidy and it will pay off in the long run. And also a dish motor is a nice addition but get first get comfortable with a basic install. I found dishpointer.com very heplful to aim and align my dishes.

is it worth it to get breaking international news 24/7 ?
Yes, absolutely. In addition to what SatelliteAV mentions, there is also 24/7 English news on Ku band on 95W (China) and 15W (MSNBC). And this doesn't include occasional appearances on Ku band of CNN and regular live Reuters and ABC newfeeds. FTA is a great complement to news available from pay TV or OTA.

But is still Al Jazeera English news available in 97 W?

I checked during the weekend the 12152 H TP and there was no signal at all. I performed a full scan, got more than 200 channles but nothing is coming out of 12 152 H, 20,000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts