Ala cart team package

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
Why doesn't D* and other providers offer a team ala cart pack. It makes more scence that a team fan would pay $20-$30 a month to follow their team instead of paying full price to get a pack in which a favorate team(s) are viewed and the rest of the games are ignored.

They have enough trouble trying to figure out blackouts as it is.

The overhead of running such a system would likely be very high as they would have to give the subscriber temporary access to whichever channel was carrying a game.

The perennial basement teams may not be able to draw enough revenue on their own. If there's one thing we can learn from C-band and the Motorola 4DTV fiasco, it is that the authorization company will simply fold up its tent and move on if the revenue isn't there.

I some what understand the blackouts for local teams but how is it that some one living in Hawaii is blacked out for L.A., S.D. or S.F. teams.

I know of subs that would prefer the ala cart pack for thier favorite team and would pay $20 to $30 a month to follow thier favorite team and don't care about the other teams. To me it makes more scence to have more subs paying less to watch one or two teams rather than having fewer subs pay full price and only watch one or two teams.

As for the 4DTV fiasco, can you explain it because I have never had c-band.

Ok important question,

your saying 20 to 30 dollars a mont to follow their favorite team .

So lets pick a number inbetween 25 dollars , and ther 4 months to the nfl season .

So are you willing to pay 100 dollars for your favorite team either as a 4 x 25 or 1x100 payment option?

Reason I ask is we do have a "suggestion box" of sorts where we can mark comments of subscribers with tere thoughts I you would like I be more then willing to send this idea to management for you.

A lot of the contracts are written with the leagues to include all teams. It's a nice idea but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The way it's set up now all teams get an equal share of the $$$ amount in each contract. If you let people pick which team(s) they wanted to watch then you'd have an issue of 1 team getting more money than others. I am sure in each sport you can pick the top 5 teams people would pick and the rest would be lieft fighting for scraps. If you make it all teams no team can demand more of the contract money.

Ok important question,

your saying 20 to 30 dollars a mont to follow their favorite team .

So lets pick a number inbetween 25 dollars , and ther 4 months to the nfl season .

So are you willing to pay 100 dollars for your favorite team either as a 4 x 25 or 1x100 payment option?

Reason I ask is we do have a "suggestion box" of sorts where we can mark comments of subscribers with tere thoughts I you would like I be more then willing to send this idea to management for you.

Come on Stone, you know full well they WON'T listen to you :D

I highly doubt that D* would go for the $25 p/m for it.
They would be more willing to ask about $ 40 p/m, maybe even $ 50.

$ 25 p/m everyone would be going for it.
However, IF they did that, they would also have to drop the ST price as well.

A lot of the contracts are written with the leagues to include all teams. It's a nice idea but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The way it's set up now all teams get an equal share of the $$$ amount in each contract. If you let people pick which team(s) they wanted to watch then you'd have an issue of 1 team getting more money than others. I am sure in each sport you can pick the top 5 teams people would pick and the rest would be lieft fighting for scraps. If you make it all teams no team can demand more of the contract money.

Money would go to the NFL, not the teams ... that way you would avoid the issue you mentioned.

IF the NFL wanted, they could take a share of it and distribute the rest to the teams equally.

Come on Stone, you know full well they WON'T listen to you :D

I highly doubt that D* would go for the $25 p/m for it.
They would be more willing to ask about $ 40 p/m, maybe even $ 50.

$ 25 p/m everyone would be going for it.
However, IF they did that, they would also have to drop the ST price as well.

Hell I wont say anything will happen . But I like filling ther box full of this kind of stuff I just wanted to make sure I worded it right.

Hell I wont say anything will happen . But I like filling ther box full of this kind of stuff I just wanted to make sure I worded it right.

Well .....
I've pushed for the HD to be part of the ST price for many years now and .... WALA that finally happened, thanks for filling the suggestion box SC :D

Last time I checked you can PPV any game for $40-50
Don't remember exactly!

This was last season.,I know I did it Twice for 2 Eagles Games.
Just Turn on one of the ST channels and the option pops up on the bottom of the screen if you don't subscribe.
If I remember correctly I think someone even started a thread last year on this.

Last time I checked you can PPV any game for $40-50
Don't remember exactly!

This was last season.,I know I did it Twice for 2 Eagles Games.
Just Turn on one of the ST channels and the option pops up on the bottom of the screen if you don't subscribe.
If I remember correctly I think someone even started a thread last year on this.

You paid $ 80-100 for 2 games ?

See? There are options, just maybe not the options that are well liked! :)
cave1376 said:
I know of subs that would prefer the ala cart pack for thier favorite team and would pay $20 to $30 a month to follow thier favorite team and don't care about the other teams. To me it makes more scence to have more subs paying less to watch one or two teams rather than having fewer subs pay full price and only watch one or two teams.
Bear with me..

As Hemi pointed out, DirecTV is selling single games for $40-50. The only reason for that is because someone sued DirecTV and the NFL, and the NFL was forced to allow sales of single games because the packaging couldn't be all or nothing. Now that single games are allowed, you have the ability to buy what you want.

DirecTV is paying the NFL $1 billion for the rights to Sunday Ticket. It is in the best interest of DirecTV and the NFL to provide the full package or high-cost single games. It is in DirecTV's interest because it is $300-$350 for the full package, and they need about 3 million subscribers to take it to break even. Dilute the offering so that there are single team packages, and there will be less subscribers to the full package offering...

And the NFL wants the full package buys simply to keep too many people from subscribing to a version of Sunday Ticket so that their local television contracts aren't devalued. Imagine if that 3 million subscribers then goes to 9 million at a third of the cost. People won't be watching the games on their local channel, which means less eyeballs on the local game.

DirecTV and the NFL wouldn't offer single games if they didn't have to, by law.

See? There are options, just maybe not the options that are well liked! :)Bear with me..

As Hemi pointed out, DirecTV is selling single games for $40-50. The only reason for that is because someone sued DirecTV and the NFL, and the NFL was forced to allow sales of single games because the packaging couldn't be all or nothing. Now that single games are allowed, you have the ability to buy what you want.

DirecTV is paying the NFL $1 billion for the rights to Sunday Ticket. It is in the best interest of DirecTV and the NFL to provide the full package or high-cost single games. It is in DirecTV's interest because it is $300-$350 for the full package, and they need about 3 million subscribers to take it to break even. Dilute the offering so that there are single team packages, and there will be less subscribers to the full package offering...

And the NFL wants the full package buys simply to keep too many people from subscribing to a version of Sunday Ticket so that their local television contracts aren't devalued. Imagine if that 3 million subscribers then goes to 9 million at a third of the cost. People won't be watching the games on their local channel, which means less eyeballs on the local game.

DirecTV and the NFL wouldn't offer single games if they didn't have to, by law.

We no longer offer single games ....

we use to and they use to be 14.95 a game then wen to 19.95 and then last time it was 24.95

What we sold the last couple of years is not single games but NFLST by the sunday. Basically the 49.95 gets you all the games for that sunday.

A boxing fan will spend $40 to $50 just to watch a match that is only on for one night, a team ala cart pack fan will spend the $ to follow their team for the entire season.

The ala cart sports pack can be done with any sports D* offers, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA not just NFL. This would be a good selling point for D* and would attract more subs from other providers.

For most subs, its the amount these packages cost is high and knowing its all or nothing. And for that reason, subs find alternative ways to watch their favorite team. Some of the alternatives are people going over to a friends or family members place to watch the games. Another alternative is a fan going to a bar that is broadcasting the games.

Going over to a friends or family place is fine as long as other members don't mind. It might get annoying if this fan comes over for every game. The house hold has to pay the price for the sport pack. The fan may bring a case of beer or some food to share during the game.

Going to a bar can be more expensive than ordering one team per season. When fans goes to a bar, they will buy drinks and food from the bar. The bar makes $ from fans who go just to watch one or two games. The fans are more likely to return to the bar just because it is showing their favorite team. The bar will have to pay D* because it subscribes to fans sports pack and will pay it because it attracts business.

Last edited:
Nothing offical yet in our reference systems most still point to 2009 season. But general feeling that it will be around it was a money maker .
I like my in market team, so for us we only miss 1-2 games max a year, from away games that fall right when the other in-market teams are at home. Since satellite only has 1 CBS and Fox per most markets
its nice to be able to have the PPV option for the day, and it saves us 2-$300 a year.

I hope it comes back.:)

I some what understand the blackouts for local teams but how is it that some one living in Hawaii is blacked out for L.A., S.D. or S.F. teams.
Some or all of those Cali teams probably claim Hawaii as their's. Here in Oregon, at least one of the Bay Area Teams claims a town or two in the southern part of the state for their own Oregon gets screwy stuff like that as we have only a pro basketball team to call our own. I would imagine it might be the same for Hawaii that has no professional franchises.

Clearly they aren't protecting game attendance by blacking out Medford that is over 363 miles away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts